Thread: G3: Concert Review

User Info Menu

Default G3: Concert Review

I got to go see G3 last night in Berkley, Ca. If you're not not familiar with the group, it's because G3 isn't really a group in the classic sence. G3 stands for three guitarists and is a tour that has been headlined by Joe Satriani since the mid 90's. Other past performers include Steve Vai, Michael Schenker, and Yngwie Malsteen. This years line up was Paul Gilbert, John Patrucci (Dream Theater) and Joe Satriani.

The show was held in the 3,500 seat Berkley Community Theater, which was about 95% full. This is a pretty nice place, clean, not bad accoustics, but the seats weren't exactly plush. Before the show, as my family and I were standing in the lobby, we ran into Jeff Campatelli (Joe Satriani's drummer) and chatted with him for a few minutes. How often do you get to mingle with the band before the show? This was a good start.

Paul Gilbert kicked things off at 8:00 pm sharp, which was right on time. Unfortuneately, his material was pretty forgetable. After 7 or 8 hohum songs he was off and it was time to stretch out after being jamed in that short back version of an airline seat. Whew!

Next up was John Patrucci of Dream Theater. This guy is an absolute shred monster, but has a pretty laid back stage pressence. That's ok, though because his drummer more than makes up for it. Mike Portnoy plays like Neil Peart but has the attitude of David Lee Roth in '79. He's c0cky, but dang he's good. He had an absolutely beautiful clear Tomma kit, and he used every bit of it. I'd have to say that he is the most entertaining drummer I've ever seen.

Next up was Sach himself. Joe was absolutely great. Not only are his chops amazing, but the sound of the entire band was super; very clear and very loud (Yeah, baby!!). We got a special kick out of watching Jeff drum ,as he is my sons teacher. He's an animal, by the way. The one word that comes to mind in describing his playing style is authoritative. There's no noodling around with Jeff.

As the show reached it's climax Joe was joined on stage first by John Patrucci and then also by Paul Gilbert. Things got serious...seriously rock'n as the boys donned funny green St. Paddy's hats and blasted out Hendrix covers like there was no tomorrow...OOOOhhh, FOXY LADY!!

While it was quite a treck from my Gold Country home to the Bay area, and the ticket weren't cheap at $45, this show was definately worth the time and money. The opening act wasn't the greatest, but John & Joe more than made up for it. In fact, I would go again just to see Mike Portnoy do his thing. One thing that we really appreciated was the lack of profanity form the stage. We also only caught a slight wiff of herb every once in a while. I would rate this concert as entirely family frendly. Check the tour dates and catch G3 when they come through your town.

User Info Menu

i've gotta see the new clear portnoy kit. i have been meaning to see the g3 tour for years.

User Info Menu

I've got the video of the G3 concert with Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. It's epic.

Why do they always play Hendrix covers though? In my one they play Little Wing.

It would definately be great to see it live.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

RD.....you suck, dude.

(j/k, I'm jealous)
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

RD....You lucky dog!

Seems like every time G3 rolls through my town, I find out about it the day after. One of these days I'll get a chance to catch it!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Here ya go. Now you have no excuse.

http://www.satriani.com/2004/road/

User Info Menu

rd you rule, that link just informed me that this tour is just up the road from me in kansas city this friday, i am there.

User Info Menu

unfortunatly i have a show sat. or i would be going to tool in wichita too.

User Info Menu

I am watching them right now live in tokyo, and I am seriously almost in tears, talk about serious talent, man what I would give to get up and jam with these guys. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

User Info Menu

fantastic show. i saw this tour last night (fri.) in k.c. portnoy is the man. even tho it was a guitar show. my son and i had a great time.