Thread: LP valje bongo

User Info Menu

Default LP valje bongo

can anyone give or direct me to a review on LP valje bongos? (new). for instance are they shaped like the older valje- just as good, etc? thx

User Info Menu

Default Re: LP valje bongo

Can't believe I beat Leedy2 to respond. He has a great collection of original Valje's - Very different from the new LP's in many different woods, and sizes, although they all have the same, or similar, shell and hardware design.

I believe that LP stopped making the LP Valje - sold the name back to the son of the main-man. LP did make one in cherry that was great! (I saw one recently at a pawn shop for $100, I went back 1/2 hour later & it was gone). Then they made them in beech - good bongos but not like the oldies. The LP "Dandy" is pretty much the same bongo, in beech, with a 9" hembra.

I've been playing bongos for a long time and have, and had, many. For me, the biggest factor is the skin. With the right skin, many bongos will sound great. LP doesn't put great skin on their bongos. Good but not great.
    Last edited by PsyAbi; 03-25-2010 at 06:12 PM.

User Info Menu

So is it the wood or the head that makes the great sound? (or both!). Is the shape of the Valjes ideal for bongo? According to the website LP Valjes are the best sounding that they have?! I am curious as to how different they are, but can't seem to get my hands on any...

User Info Menu

Thanks Leedy!

Just curious, do you include Siam oak/rubber as oak, or is that not on the list?

Also, I am pretty computer savvy enough to surf the web and have already found a 500. pair that look pretty sweet without the need to mention names. This particular brand uses oak and not walnut, and also cowhide not mule or horse. 500 bucks a pop (get it?)- will this be the last set I ever need to own?!

User Info Menu

There is no "last set I ever need to own" for someone who spends $500 for a bongo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PsyAbi View Post
    There is no "last set I ever need to own" for someone who spends $500 for a bongo!

? explain....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    ? explain....
    OK - I'll try. May not work but---

That $100 bongo that I passed up in the pawn shop was as good a bongo, in every respect, that anyone, a student or pro, really "needs".

Someone who buys a $500 bongo is trying to satisfy a different set of "needs" that usually doesn't get satisfied by just buying a $500 bongo.

User Info Menu

can anyone give or direct me to a review on LP valje bongos? (new). for instance are they shaped like the older valje- just as good, etc? thx
    LP valjes were OK ! They had steel bottoms instead of aluminium which could ( & did ) crack ~ break ) The Cherry wood were Very nice! The traditional steel crown & bottoms were stronger than old Valjes...and did not have problems the old Valjes had w/ hardwares bending & shells going out of round or cracking. BUT...at some point in some models ( old valjes & Lp valjes ~ ) they used a sharp sound edge ( like snare drum bearing edges ) which was hard on the hands & fingers of the player & created a weak spot in the drum head which contributed to early expiration of the small drumhead. The shells look the same in shape, but the orig valjes had a variety of shell separators and were insuficently braced...and created cracks or sepatated stave seams. If you find LP valjes, KEEP them...they are nicer & lighter but a bit shorter than LP's own model but have LP head sizes which are common to find...unlike old Valjes...which most of us have to custom tuck out own heads. I am curious to see if new Valjes ? Restoration models from Tom Flores Son...have corrected some little problems or just copied the old model. I used Lp Valje top crown on my Peruvian made shells & for 15 yrs have used them as my favorite Bongos. I traded the weaker hardwares from the orig bongos w/ my Lp Valjes...and then sold the Valjes ASAP because the edges were sharp rather than well rounded for comfort & ease of travel of the drum heads when tunning.
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 04-02-2010 at 09:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PsyAbi View Post
    OK - I'll try. May not work but---

That $100 bongo that I passed up in the pawn shop was as good a bongo, in every respect, that anyone, a student or pro, really "needs".

Someone who buys a $500 bongo is trying to satisfy a different set of "needs" that usually doesn't get satisfied by just buying a $500 bongo.
    Funny post ! Valje bongos ~ all bongos are just shells to tune the heads ! The considerations are the dependabilty of the shells to remain round & not crack, not to warp any hardwares that may require repairs later or damage to tunning hooks etc. Actualy...LP Valje model is standardized Lp head size that fits store bought heads in plastic or skins, and the hardwares are all more dependable. BUT same is true of the Matador line of LP bongos, which are the orig Lp pro model ~ generation II lps are tapered at the shells is all. Older Valjes need to be cared for & loved despite some design flaws...but they used beautiful woods , good heads for the most part & finaly...replacement hardwares are available via "Resolution percussion " Only a lover of Latin drums & drumming will appreciate bongos @ $500 ! but few are worth that ! But like any drums...its personal gratification, otherwise why are drum set players paying up to $ 1,000.oo for snare drums that are basicly the sames design as drums from the 1960's ?? at least bongos are 2 drums & fit between your legs !? lol Enjoy....

User Info Menu

Cool Re: LP valje bongo

Thanks Leedy!

Just curious, do you include Siam oak/rubber as oak, or is that not on the list?

Also, I am pretty computer savvy enough to surf the web and have already found a 500. pair that look pretty sweet without the need to mention names. This particular brand uses oak and not walnut, and also cowhide not mule or horse. 500 bucks a pop (get it?)- will this be the last set I ever need to own?!
    Hey, sean--

Seems that Siam Oak is not oak at all. In fact, I checked a botany website where just such a discussion was going on (among, of all things, a group of hand drummers!). Siam Oak is another name for rubberwood, which is grown in parts of Thailand (formerly known as Siam). It is a hardwood, but not as durable as actual oakwood; it is actually the wood of overmature rubber plants that are no longer economically productive. Thus it's much cheaper than actual oak, and many of the cheaper hand drum lines use Siam Oak extensively. It's a good wood for what it's used for, but that's about all you can say about it.

As regards those "500 bucks a pop" bongos (and yeah, I got it, bro'!) I know of no one who isn't looking for a better-sounding set of drums! Another factor among drumheads is that LP has used water buffalo hide for many years on the lower-priced hand drum lines, and, if I follow the gist of many of our brother skin-slappers, mule skins are supposed to be the top-of-the-line as far as skins go...

Then again, I would say there is a fourth factor here...the wood, the skins, the construction, and the skill of the guy or gal who's playin' the drums. BTW way, I picked up a pair of Meinl bongos sometime back from a pawn shop, and they play and sound every bit as good as my LP Generation II's. The Meinls were $49 and needed some cleaning and tuning-up, and my LPs were $235 in 1992...so go figure!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck