• wraps

12 20.00%
  • laquers

48 80.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wraps or laquers?

User Info Menu

Default Re: wraps or laquers?

I voted wraps, I have a lacquer finish on my set rightn ow and I like it, but I love the customization options of wraps.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I’ve been playing for 40+ years and I have for the most part transported my kits in cases. Fiber cases until I bought my Sonor kit and I bought XL Specialty cases. Being on the road every weekend I strongly recommend the purchase of a good set of cases. As for a wrap or lacquer both are nice but I lean to the natural wood lacquer. I have a Gretsch Red Cherry lacquer finished kit that is the prettiest kit I have laid eyes on. To me this just oozes class.

Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

I have had both and prefer lacquer... even as i gig ... just get cases and be careful and your fine! I have more gigs coming up and just got a new kit with lacquer finish and I'll be getting the cases in a few weeks!
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Pearl Hardware (BD Pedal)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Zildjian (Zildjian League)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

laquer all the way, 'cause with wrap, it can get damaged when you re-head the drums.
    Less easy to damage aswell
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DantheDrummer View Post
    laquer all the way, 'cause with wrap, it can get damaged when you re-head the drums.
    What?

User Info Menu

I went through and re-read this post from a different perspective. I found out today that my drum kit is a lacquer finish, but thought it was a wrap (don't know if I should admit that).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    The secret to making any drum finish last is care. Proper care of wrap or lacquer, including cleaning, how you travel, how you set up, cases, etc. The number one cardinal rule of set up should be..... nothing touches anything else. You see ebay ads all the time that say .... snare rash on tom, and there is really no excuse for that kind of negligence. Ive seen sets less than a year old in worse shape than 45 year old sets that were gigged nearly every week of its life, and that without cases. Good proper care equivalates to long life. I own hardware that is 45 years old and is in better shape than some (not mine) less than 5 years old.
    I disagree with the snare rash on tom statement. I treat my drums with the utmost respect and care and I still have a little bit of snare rash on my tom. It happens from time to time where you're adjusting your tom or snare and they bump into each other...
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DantheDrummer View Post
    This entire statement is false. Not one true word.

Lacquers scratch easier and wraps don't make anything get damaged... Wow...
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

laquer for me to...

User Info Menu

I go for lacquers any day. Heard that some of the wraps come apart at the seams because of the tape being used. Maybe the most expensive wraps don't have that problems and not only that some wraps look cheap. That's my opinion. My MCX are finished in lacquer and they look like a piece of furniture and impressive I hear it all the time from friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I went through and re-read this post from a different perspective. I found out today that my drum kit is a lacquer finish, but thought it was a wrap (don't know if I should admit that).
    Glad to see you came to that realization......I prefer lacquer finish...but I'm also not settingup/tearing down/gigging my kits every weekend...if I was I would probably want a wrap finish for that

User Info Menu

If it were possible I would have one of each. I'd like a sparkle wrap to catch that retro vibe. Been playing a lot of old music lately.

all the best...