Thread: Ride tightness

User Info Menu

Default Ride tightness

I know not to have your cymbals to tight or they could break but how tight should my ride be? Mine right now just flops around when I hit it. Is it supposed to be secured to the point where it does not move at all?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ride tightness

What kind of ride do you have? Ride's are usually pretty heavy, you'd have the be banging it pretty hard to get it to move freely. Are you crashing it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drnez View Post
    What kind of ride do you have? Ride's are usually pretty heavy, you'd have the be banging it pretty hard to get it to move freely. Are you crashing it?
    I believe its a ZBT Rock ride. and Im not really hitting it that hard but its moving freely a lot.

User Info Menu

How's its placement? Do you have it fairly flat/level, or do you keep it up higher on an angle? If you keep it flat the movement should be minimal.

User Info Menu

Even if you didn't have the crew, you shouldn't have any problems with playing. Either your ride is extremely light or you're just hitting it that hard

User Info Menu

i have the same ride in a 20", i dont have mine tight and at a slight angle. mine doesnt move very much. i would b really curious to see your technique for hitting a ride. can you show us a video?

u should b using the end of your stick, are u using the middle like you would on a crash?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipp View Post
    i have the same ride in a 20", i dont have mine tight and at a slight angle. mine doesnt move very much. i would b really curious to see your technique for hitting a ride. can you show us a video?

u should b using the end of your stick, are u using the middle like you would on a crash?
    I might be able to post a vid tonight and im using the end of my stick. I think theres just not enough padding in between the ride itself and the stand.

User Info Menu

Try not hitting your ride as hard.
    Matt

User Info Menu

i tighten mine down pretty good . i dont like it moving much . its ok to tighten your ride . your not hitting it hard enough to hurt it .. give it a try .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Larger diameter felts or cymbal sleeves?
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

i use plastic sleeves, and the thickest regular size felts i can find.
    in my 40 some years of drumming ,ive never had or seen a broken ride cymbal .
    Tamaholic