Thread: Trouble filling

User Info Menu

Default Trouble filling

Hey Guys,

So I learned to play drums like 6 years ago, took lessons for like 2 years on and off....stopped playing for a good while, and recently got back into it. So I joined my friend's punk band, and of course all the rudiments came back to me and stuff, I have no trouble playing super fast. But usually when I am playing alone, at a somewhat slower pace, usually just playing lots of different beats in 4/4 time, I have lots of trouble getting around my kit. Its a starter kit that I've had forever(its still nice and shiny as its never really been moved around much). It has a nice smaller ludwig snare that is probably worth more than the kit, I got it with a glockenspiel when I first started playing percussion. Zildjian High hats, Sabian Crash/Ride, and old Paiste 18" ride. Otherwise its stock. It was a 5 piece set, but I have it set up as a 4, with the 1st tom removed, and the second one in its place.

So anyway, after we decided to form a band I tuned my set all up and got it set up in my parent's basement. With most of the stuff we play I generally only fill on my snare anyway. But When I do try on my toms, I don't get much bounce out of them(Its damn near impossible to roll on them), they have their stock heads still. Fills generally start out good but eff up 75% when i move to the toms at any speed.

Any advice? Was I thorough enough? Oh after I tuned the set up, and we had our first jam/practice our vocalist (who also plays drums) got on the set to mess around, and this was my first time (that I can remember) hearing anyone play them. I was pleasantly surprised, as they sounded much better than they did beind the kit(and they sound fine to me from back there).

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trouble filling

practice more on the toms. The toms aren't going to have the stick response of your snare unless you tune them way up. I keep my toms tuned so low that its almost like hitting a pillow and I can do doubles on them now since I'm so used to it.

User Info Menu

Your doubles and rolls are only as good as you can get them on a pillow. You should be able to do all of your rudiments on ANYTHING. Practice specifically on the toms and on soft surfaces like pillows.

User Info Menu

practice the roll rudiments in single stroke roll format...

5 stroke roll = RLRL R

10 stroke = RLRLRLRL R L

its called chops, build them up...

User Info Menu

If I'm understanding the problem, it might be fundamental in the way you are hitting the drum. You should be using your wrist in your strokes...with your arms as leverage. When you are hitting the snare which is typically much tighter than the toms...it will give you more bounce. But, you should not rely on the bounce when you are moving around the toms. Practicing single strokes on a pillow as the others have suggested will help. Good luck !
    Last edited by nio; 03-30-2010 at 11:07 PM.