Thread: E drums ain't what they use to be !!

User Info Menu

Default E drums ain't what they use to be !!

In case You have not heard the sample software available for e drumming You need to check it out. I'll help get ya get started .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny3enUMgip4"]YouTube- Using E-Drums with Addictive Drums 1.5[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_JuYH06A4s&feature=related"]YouTube- V-DRUMS WITH SUPERIOR 2.0[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEgLibE_jQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Toontrack - Live Jam 1 using dfh SUPERIOR[/ame]
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: E drums ain't what they use to be !!

Very cool stuff!
    The tones just keep getting better!

The sound of E drums in the early '80s drove me nuts. It seemed like every band wanted that sound. They even processed acoustic drums to get that sound.

I'm hoping to get an E kit soon!
    www.screaminsgs.com

Ken Ardley - Stan Dette Music Productions

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...s-12079p2.html

User Info Menu

2slow-
    You're sure right there buddy... The new Yamaha E-kits alone
    are fantastic! I picked up BFD2 and the Alesis Trigger iO unit.
    Still puttin' everything together so to speak. But, They are a
    blast!!! Cool post - Thanks for sharin'!!!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

That Sonar program sounds freakin great man
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I've been recording some covers with my new e-kit, but I'm using the module sound. I think it also sounds great! The main problem is that we do not have so many voices and effects, plus no MIDI editing.

I'd like to contribute to the topic showing what a "pure" drum module can do. I have recorded drums for an acoustic track, which does not have drums originally. Every bit of drumming sound you can hear is played by me, thus generated by the module. I'm using a YAMAHA DTEXPRESS IV, an average level module.

The song is called Senzafine. It's by an Italian band called Lacuna Coil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xueT8SMXD20

Regards.
    Last edited by lgalicki; 05-13-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Subscription to replies

User Info Menu

I'm just amazed at the quality of the voices and the improvement of latent issues from the past days gone by. It's a big step from the Tama TechStar 5305 ekit I had back in the mid 80s. I haven't touched a ekit since and even though the Yamaha DTxpressIII module I bought used from a DC member is a few years old, I'm having a BLAST recording tunes directly into a digital recorder. The Yamaha DTXpress IV pads I bought recently has surprised me to a point where I'm eagerly awaiting funds to expand and build the Yamaha ekit up. Maybe invest in a used DTXtreme III module and upgrade the memory cards?
    Last edited by late8; 05-17-2010 at 03:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lgalicki View Post
    I've been recording some covers with my new e-kit, but I'm using the module sound. I think it also sounds great! The main problem is that we do not have so many voices and effects, plus no MIDI editing.

I'd like to contribute to the topic showing what a "pure" drum module can do. I have recorded drums for an acoustic track, which does not have drums originally. Every bit of drumming sound you can hear is played by me, thus generated by the module. I'm using a YAMAHA DTEXPRESS IV, an average level module.

The song is called Senzafine. It's by an Italian band called Lacuna Coil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xueT8SMXD20

Regards.
    Nice playing and great cover. enjoyed it very much!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumrbychoice View Post
    2slow-
    You're sure right there buddy... The new Yamaha E-kits alone
    are fantastic! I picked up BFD2 and the Alesis Trigger iO unit.
    Still puttin' everything together so to speak. But, They are a
    blast!!! Cool post - Thanks for sharin'!!!
    Ahh, you're doing what I want to try to do for my kid. He has a Yamaha DTXpress III (older kit) and I was thinking it would be cool to get something like BFD or BFD eco and trigger from his kit to my laptop.

I need some guidance on how to connect, as I don't have MIDI on my laptop. I was thinking getting a MIDI to USB for like $50 and do it that way. Would I be better skipping the Yamaha module and getting something like the unit you got?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice playing and great cover. enjoyed it very much!
    Thanks late8, I appreciate that!

User Info Menu

neat stuff!
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

I don't care how good they get, E-drums will never sound and feel as good a an Acoustic kit. I owned and played the Yamaha DTXTREME 2 & 3 kits for the past 4 years, and although the DTX 3 kit (Now the DTX900) sounded very good, it still sounded like an E-Kit.

I've since sold all my E-kit gear, 2 modules and 22 pads and gone back to acoustic drums.

User Info Menu

the feel may not be there but these are real drums recorded in the best studios there are !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARbVqPSNocw"]YouTube- The Making of The Metal Foundry SDX? (for Superior DrummerŪ 2.0)[/ame]
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I don't think I will ever purchase an E-kit but the variety you have with the snare is amazing. Instead of spending money on a new snare for the sound you are looking for, you just click onto a differant snare. I must say that is pretty cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    the feel may not be there but these are real drums recorded in the best studios there are !

YouTube- The Making of The Metal Foundry SDX? (for Superior DrummerŪ 2.0)
    Yes I know, the Yamaha DTX lll kit also has real recorded drum sounds, however that just does not transfer over to the E-kit as well as it does coming from the real drum itself. Even though I had real recorded drum sounds, fast fills on the E-kit sounded off, there was machine gunning and the dynamics were no where near as good. No worries, I loved E-kits a few years ago, but after playing them exclusively for the past 4 to 5 years I'll never touch them again. There just not for me any more.

Here's a pic of my E-kit:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Yes I know, the Yamaha DTX lll kit also has real recorded drum sounds, however that just does not transfer over to the E-kit as well as it does coming from the real drum itself. Even though I had real recorded drum sounds, fast fills on the E-kit sounded off, there was machine gunning and the dynamics were no where near as good. No worries, I loved E-kits a few years ago, but after playing them exclusively for the past 4 to 5 years I'll never touch them again. There just not for me any more.

Here's a pic of my E-kit:
    The e-drum sounds (VST's) 2 slow is talking about are quite a bit better than anything a module can produce...and also are quite a bit more realistic in both dynamics and in their ability to translate rolls realistically...the DTXtreme III module is a nice piece of gear (probably the best module out there currently)..however, its sounds (MB size sounds) don't approach VST type libraries (GB size sounds)...the sound samples just aren't large enough to do that...