Thread: Drum rolls

User Info Menu

Default Drum rolls

Hey,
    I have a question about drum rolls. I can play them alright but I can't play very fast. My friends and I started a metal band and I really wanted to get better at rolls. So if there is any advice to help me get better and faster at them thanks. Also I sometime get drum lesson but I don't really have transportation there and I try to practice everyday. Also I try to slow down the rolls then go faster. But if there is any other advice anyone can give me that would help a lot. Thanks

Also I looked at some of the other threads on drum rolls but they didn't really answer my question. So i decided to make my own.

Thanks very much!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum rolls

YouTube has a ton of how to's on this. When I'm not on my phone I'll link a good one for ya.

User Info Menu

As long as you keep practicing it will come to you. Just keep challenging yourself. I would also suggest using a metronome to help increase your speed, After you become comfortable at a set speed you can speed the metro up and practice at that speed until you get it and move on. All the best. F/T

User Info Menu

The faster you go, the less arm you use and you use a lot more wrist & fingers. One thing that might help you is something called the "flying fingers" technique. Look it up.

And, of course, practice with a metronome. Stay outside your comfort zone, so you progress.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

ive spent 10 minutes on youtube and havent found anything worth posting.

drum line type warm ups are how i learned. just doing it with a metronome and going faster every week. also work on parididdles. it uses the same technique.

User Info Menu

It's all in serious practice, repeating things over and over again and a little patience. If you put the work in, it will come. I promise you. - Good luck!

User Info Menu

Single stroke or double stroke?
    Mmm... Saturns.