Thread: bottom heads

User Info Menu

Default bottom heads

Im curious,I changed all my top heads from stock (huge difference )to remo but I left the bottom heads stock.
    How much of a difference does the bottom heads make if changed? If they do how do you know what type to get?
    Its just something I never thought about

User Info Menu

Default Re: bottom heads

Allan, the resonant heads should be changed about every 2-3 times that that batter head is changed - Rule of Thumb. As with any stock head vs. better quality head, there will be a difference. As to the type to get, it depends on the sound you want from your drums. The more you want your drums to "sing" (open sounding), the more you are moving toward single ply, and thinner. The more controlled you want your sound, the thicker your head will need to be.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ohhh, am I about to disagree with the great pb? I follow Gatzen-ology which teaches that less mass in a reso head results in less sustain.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcUBJrtKTg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcUBJrtKTg[/ame]

Forgive me pb...

User Info Menu

I tested out that Gatzen theory and he is completely correct. I had some pinstripes that I never put on my kit and I tried them as reso heads with emperor batters. Much longer sustain but also the resonance was considerably warmer than with a single ply reso.

User Info Menu

anybody tried emperors top and bottom?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Proper tuning is what counts (imho) as well as an individual's touch on the instrument. Although, perhaps it might be useful to think of a quality bottom head as being more responsive to changes in tuning and better able to help produce a quality sound and resonance than stock bottom heads?
    Yamaha Maple Custom 4-piece (Bebop)
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vic Firth sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Ohhh, am I about to disagree with the great pb? I follow Gatzen-ology which teaches that less mass in a reso head results in less sustain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcUBJrtKTg

Forgive me pb...

xsabers, I stand corrected. I thought I understood that one, but apparently had it backward. Bad Bob, bad Bob!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Bad Bob, bad Bob!
    Hahaha

User Info Menu

I have never tried and I don't think I would like a 2-play head on the reso side though. There must be a point of deminishing return...
    Last edited by xsabers; 04-02-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Misspell Weasel got me...

User Info Menu

I put a 2 ply on a snare bottom with 42 strands, that was different.
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oakforestmx View Post
    I put a 2 ply on a snare bottom with 42 strands, that was different.

User Info Menu

That's got me wondering if a G2 on the reso side would be pretty good. I like that EC2 reso sound, but I like all those overtones.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .