Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Forum or Tama Imperialstar drumset?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Forum or Tama Imperialstar drumset?

Sometime it lets me post here and sometimes not???
    I don't know why?

User Info Menu

check this out guys, what ya think?? good/bad???

♫ Selling Great Condition Sonor Drums with Sabian Cymbals ♬ - $625 (Gonzales)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2010-03-04, 9:13PM CST
    Reply to: sale-4fcgv-1629166780@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am selling a Sonor Force drum set in great condition. I have basically stopped playing them and figured I should sell them since I need to save more. The drums includes 12, 13, 16 inch toms, 14" snare and 22" inch bass drum the, and 3 Sabain symbols a hi-hat, 20' ride, and 16' crash all in excellent condition. If you have any questions or need more information feel free to contact me by email.
    Email adress: Payton077@gmail.com

User Info Menu

The Sonor guy says willing to negotiate on the set, what would be a good price and what kind of wood are they made of, will the drums have a good sound w/the sabians?
    If I can get a better price/good condition as he says and the sounds are nice,hmmm,maybe? Let me know, I told him I might go by to see them Mon/Tues. this week.

User Info Menu

DLDante, great review on the Tama Imperialstars, gives me a better idea of what you are getting into before you buy it. Thank you too

User Info Menu

I would ask the guy specifically what series of Sonors they are and what series of Sabians.
    Matt

dave0549jv Guest

Im sure everyone else here has heard me say this, but I went with the used Exports. I believe they're birch, but i'm not entirely sure. I've been very happy with them. they were in good shape, and i got them with hardware for about 425. theyve got a nice laquer finish too. The heads have been replaced, but more for experimental purposes than anything else.

i started off with some ZBT cymbals, which are definitely entry level cymbals, but they're light years better than the ones that come with most kits. They're pretty durable too. they're ideal for someone who's new and might not have cymbal technique down yet. they wont crack as easily as some of the more expensive b20 ones, and if they do crack, they're cheaper to replace.

User Info Menu

Hey Yohin,
    Here is an email from the Sonor drum owner to me:

Hi Kenny,
    The drums are a shade of silver, I do not know the exact name of the color. They are around 4 years old but are in great shape. I have added Sabian B8, and B8 Pro cymbals to the set. I may be able to negotiate some. If you have any more questions or want set up a date to come see them then just email me back.
    Thanks,
    Nick

User Info Menu

Ask what series the sonar is. The badges on every drum should tell. But depending on the series I would shoot for under $500. U can get almost the same deal new. But if he has a higher line then it's a steal.

User Info Menu

I got a Yamaha Gigmaker to give me the most "Bang for the Buck" so to speak after a long layoff from Playing. This is it with Stock Heads but top line Cymbals.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reX-7YqSpls&feature=related"]YouTube- Gimme All Your Lovin[/ame]

Here is My initial review of the Kit http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...06.html?t=7906

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kourso View Post
    Hey Yohin,
    Here is an email from the Sonor drum owner to me:

Hi Kenny,
    The drums are a shade of silver, I do not know the exact name of the color. They are around 4 years old but are in great shape. I have added Sabian B8, and B8 Pro cymbals to the set. I may be able to negotiate some. If you have any more questions or want set up a date to come see them then just email me back.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    The cymbals are like $250 new, so used figure worth maybe $150 (B8's aren't in high demand b/c they are entry level).

The big question is the kit. Because of the lugs, color, and tom depth, they look like Force 1001's. Those are 9 ply basswood drums from 2002. There aren't a lot around, so hard to say the value.

I would say under $500 for the whole lot. $625 means they are asking $500 for the drums. I would think you can do better than that. If you look at Sigler Music, you will see you can get new Custom Classic's for the same, or for a bit more Catalina Ash or Stage Custom Birch which are MUCH better drumsets. That's the way I would go. Why pay $150 less for a used lesser kit when you can get new with a warranty, etc?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kourso View Post
    I am comparing Pearl Forum and Tama Imperialstar drum sets. They both are $699 each with hardware and stock cymbals. Are Pearl cymbals decent sounding and who makes them for Pearl? Tama cymbals are Meinl brand, are these good cymbals compared to Pearl's? Also how do the drums/drum heads compare?
    I am looking for a good quality drum set that has a very good sound w/o having to upgrade everything after buying.
    Please send me some advice on buying a set.
    I also found a used Export set w/Sabian cymbals for $600, but I don't know the age and they sounded really out of tune. I am thinking that I will do better buying a new set.
    Thanks

Thanks
    DLDante kaosotis Yohin and OTHERS!!!! for the tremendous help you have given me!
    I tried to post at the bottom of the page and it didn't allow me to do it for some reason, token expired.
    This info. that you have provided me is valuable toward buying a good drumset that I will enjoy for a long time.
    Please look over the post that I added, it allowed to add this one? for the Sonor drumset and give me your input asap.
    You are great on this drum chat forum, really. I hope I can be of help in the future to you and others.
    Kenny
    WOW u are asking alot ! All things being equal...consider that imported kits ( if not from your country of residence ) have hardware availablility issues if u need parts. Also...depending on what styles & environment you play can dictate what quality of shells, cymbals & how strong the hardwares are. Some older Tama & Pearl...can be called vintage or called old junk...its a matter of condition & qualities of materials, and model type. Both brands have various generations of hardwares & shells for a range of prices and a range of quality. Many kits are intended to be cheaper market models so u have to do some research on MODEL...not just Brand. Personaly...cymbals are not some thing I'd buy as a package deal nor w/o sound checking them w/ my other cymbals etc for how I want it all to sound as set...rather than random mix matches. * Sonar is a very quality oriented brand but has its cheaper versions as well. Consider the resale value...you may not want to keep them if U later want to upgrade to a newer or just different kit.

User Info Menu

Hey Guys,
    This is an email from Nick the SONOR drum owner, I just now asked him to check what series the Force set is. I will let you know and kaosotis they are 9 ply basswood, that isn't very good compared to Maple/Ash/Birch shell. I will check Sigler Music for drums and post here after, what I find that may work for me.
    I appreciate ALL of your help/posts.
    Kenny

Hey Kenny,
    I found a few things out about the drums that you might want to know.
    The actual color name is "reflex silver." The wood is made of 9-ply
    basswood shells manufactured with Sonors Cross Laminated Tension Free
    system. I received the drums for Christmas from my parents about 4
    years ago and have lost my passion for playing them. The original
    retail price of them was $749.95. The original set consisted of a Bass
    Drum 22" x 16"; Snare Drum (Steel) 14" x 5.5"; Tom Tom 12" x 10"; Tom
    Tom 13" x 11"; Floor Tom 16" x 16"; Double Tom Holder. Then I added a
    Sabian 14' B8 Pro Medium Hi Hat. A Sabian B8 20' Ride, and a Sabian B8
    16' Thin Crash.I also bought a new cymbal stand along with the new
    symbols. I have also added Remo heads to the set. I have the old
    heads, and the old Cymbals. The original symbols that came with the
    set are not in the best shape because they were like you said stock
    symbols and bent up easily. Monday or Tuesday after the Easter weekend
    is find with me as long as it is in the afternoon around 3-7. If you
    have anymore questions or need to know directions for Monday/Tuesday
    then feel free to email me.
    Thanks,
    Nick

User Info Menu

kaosotis thanks for another great IM from you guys. I am going to check out the drums you listed.

ADD ON:

Here it is guys, it is a SONOR 1001 Series:
    WHAT IS THE LOW DOWN ON THIS SERIES ???
    Are they something of interest with Basswood shells BUT NICE HEADS/CYMBALS!
    For a reasonable price of ??? Or will I not be to satisfied with the equipment.
    What if I would later possibly play in a band, variety,oldies,swamp pop would this do?

Hey Kenny,
    The series is Force 1001. Sonor is a good brand but is better known in
    other countries like germany. I played them around the house, Took
    drum lessons for a little while and found out I did not like playing
    as much as I thought. Probably because I did not practice enough. I
    have always kept the drums inside. I did however put them up in my
    closet at one time. They are in very good condition. I loved the the
    sound of the drums when I changed the heads and added the new cymbals.
    The new cymbals were so much better in quality compared to that of the
    stock cymbals. They sound crisper and louder. When I changed the heads
    on the drum they sounded better than the old ones. Not really sure If
    I tuned them right, but they sounded good.
    Last edited by kourso; 04-02-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: NEW INFO>

User Info Menu

basswood is about all you will get in this price range. its not crap, and if this is your first set its not as big of a deal.

User Info Menu

Imperialstars are poplar. Some people don't like it but with good heads and proper tuning they sound great in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Here it is guys, it is a SONOR 1001 Series:
    WHAT IS THE LOW DOWN ON THIS SERIES ???
    Are they something of interest with Basswood shells BUT NICE HEADS/CYMBALS!
    For a reasonable price of ??? Or will I not be to satisfied with the equipment.
    What if I would later possibly play in a band, variety,oldies,swamp pop would this do?

Hey Kenny,
    The series is Force 1001. Sonor is a good brand but is better known in
    other countries like germany. I played them around the house, Took
    drum lessons for a little while and found out I did not like playing
    as much as I thought. Probably because I did not practice enough. I
    have always kept the drums inside. I did however put them up in my
    closet at one time. They are in very good condition. I loved the the
    sound of the drums when I changed the heads and added the new cymbals.
    The new cymbals were so much better in quality compared to that of the
    stock cymbals. They sound crisper and louder. When I changed the heads
    on the drum they sounded better than the old ones. Not really sure If
    I tuned them right, but they sounded good.

User Info Menu

Also the stock hardware he has with the SONOR is called: hardware 200, Sounds like this is some pretty light stuff? Do you know more about this hardware and how durable it may be?

User Info Menu

No issues with Basswood. It's a "lower end" wood, but not garbage by any means. It's also no better or worse than Poplar.

Just to put the whole thing in perspective, the new version of those (1007) new and with those cymbals would probably be in the $850-900 range. So $625 isn't horrible but I wouldn't call it a deal either. The Force 1000 series don't hold a ton of value and neither do the B8's.

As for only getting basswood in this price range, I disagree. There are ash, birch, and even maple drums in the same range as the 1007's.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

This post has been deleted.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Hey Kao and Yo,
    I ordered the Mapex Meridian Birch in Tobacco Fade, as well as the Zilidijan ZBT 3 pk w/ free 14" crash, I think it was the one that you linked me to as well.
    I hope it will be a fine drumset and sound as fine too.
    I went to Mapex's website and found some sound samples of that drumset. What is the drum kit with reverb? It had sounds, kit dry "hits" with and without reverb? Man it sounds wicked! I should get it toward the end of next week.
    I also used the promo code that you sent me for the discount of $65 and then I went to a customer service chat and asked if there was one that I could use and THEY GAVE ME "FILE", WHICH WAS 15% or maybe a little more.
    The total was $829 and after the discount, it came to $725 SO I THINK THAT IS A VERY GOOD DEAL
    THANK YOU< THANK YOU KAO FOR THE WONDERFUL HELP AND FINDING THIS SET W/ THE DISCOUNT. AND THANK YOHIN AND THE OTHER GUYS WHO HELPED ME GREATLY TOO !!!!!!!!!!
    WOW, SO THAT SET'S PRICE DROPPED TO ABOUT $550
    W/HARDWARE !!!!!
    I hope the Zilidjan cymbals will be very good for me.
    Kenny

User Info Menu

Congrats on the purchase! "FILE" is a 15% off promo code. You'll find that MF does 15% everytime they can find an excuse, so don't ever pay regular price for anything. Just wait until the next holiday (even if it's something like Flag Day) and they'll have a 15% promo code that weekend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! "FILE" is a 15% off promo code. You'll find that MF does 15% everytime they can find an excuse, so don't ever pay regular price for anything. Just wait until the next holiday (even if it's something like Flag Day) and they'll have a 15% promo code that weekend.
    Good point! They aren't always the best with customer service, and I'd rather buy local, but when they have a serious deal it can be really tough to beat.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Do they still have this going on right now? If they do maybe now is the time to jump on that new snare...
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Do they still have this going on right now? If they do maybe now is the time to jump on that new snare...
    Yup. Good until tomorrow (Sunday, 4/11).

User Info Menu

Another bit of advice for those of you that like to shop at brick & mortar stores: MF is owned by GC. If you print out the MF coupon they'll honor it at GC, so you can get 15% off in the store. Depending on the salesman they'll sometimes have to go fetch the manager but if you let them know you're up on the fact that they're the same company and you're just going to go home and order it anyway, they always honor it. I've done this at three different GC stores.