Thread: Created Hybrid Timbales ( Afro /Pearl Brass shells w/ Leedy Lugs & custom rims,claws

User Info Menu

Default Created Hybrid Timbales ( Afro /Pearl Brass shells w/ Leedy Lugs & custom rims,claws

Since I have played & tested/examined just about every timbale brand & model since the 1950's I have always wanted a set similar to my coveted Leedy set from the late 50's or my Leedy / Slingeralnd era kit from the early 60's/late 50's. I never had a new set of these vintage and I wanted a set w/ hard wares & shells standardized to plastic head sizes. In my analysis, Most contemporary shells are either to crudely designed and not the total package of hard wares,shells,mountings & sound edges to head & rim fitting as nice as even a basic wood shell drum ( snare / tom etc ). So...I found a lame model design timbale from " Afro " which was made by Pearl but though the shell was very well designed with great sound edges perfect for plastic heads and allowing enough clearance for calfskin heads mounted to metal or wood rims ~ the tunning system was a LAME & crude Cuban style ( heavy bolts ) that was not shell mounted but rather was a log bracket that hooked to the bottom drum edge. This system worked fine but did not allow an area to play the shell sides ( Cascara ) and since there was no shell mounted lugs or backing plates...the shells rang loud w/ lots of overtone ringing...way too much ! The cascara sound was like hitting a metal trash can or mop bucket. My conversion was : First I changed the Afro /Pearl rim mount to stand, to fit old style Lp timbale stand by removing a folded ear so it lie flat on lp stand, I also drilled a hole to mount lp stand & fit the cow bell post. This stand ( all the stands I use or make ) have a proper shell separator to brace the drum & muffle the shells over ring for a cleaner more defined drum sound & cascara sound. But since I was customizing the rims & mounting to a Leedy,JCR style rim mount...I continued to drill hole locates for Leedy / Slingerland era chromed beavertail lugs w/ key rods & eagle claws ( 6 per shell ) centered between the 2 reinforcement * beads similar to Lp / Toca and other Cuban copies. The claws were old Ludwig nickle plated claws that I polished off the nickle to show the brass & I satin clear coated them in Varathane . The old style rims were also old Ludwig timbale rims that were not too tall ( like many calf tucked rims ) and I had re machined them to be true flat & better beveled for rim shots or even hand playing ! I welded steel bushings to the rims that mated w/ steel pins ( from machine shop left overs ) and had clearance to add nylon tubing to act as insulators so I removed the metal to metal contact of mounting parts. These rims mounted to the pins on the stand & I used rubber grommets so the stand was completely zero metal to metal contact to the stand. The spacing of the pins is same as the conga stand pins found on LP & other dbl congas stand mounts. This one template fits congas & my custom timbales & similar to field drum stands & marching equipments. Crude but effective & very strong ! The end result is that I took great brass 13" & 14 " brass shells, used my vintage Leedy lugs w/ the heavy interior shell backing plates & tunning system from the 50's era that resembles my Leedy/Slingerland ( due to the shell depth of 6 1/2 " ~ shallower than older Leedy's ) The heads sound great, well focused & i have clearance for plastic or calf heads, the cascara sounds brighter than old Leedy's...more like my 1967 Rogers " Humberto Morales " brass timbales but are dry & warm as well. This custom rim mounted timbale stand...I built to originally fit my 67' Rogers but did not use them permanently ( I built a ludwig clip mount timbale stand for them ) My custom design allows my shell to be positioned for better access to play Cascara, maintain a free floating shell w/o shell mountings other than tunning lugs. The top section of my stand can be on a multi stage tripod stand or fit into the mounting of my 1960's 20" Rogers bass drum or others. So I am happy I have a great retro Leedy set w/ optional mountings in appropriate sizes for most sized performances. The now popular 14 & 15 " timbales are more appropriate for large bands in large ventues. The tunning tends to be higher these days...and timbaleros tune to a range more appropriate for smaller shell sizes. Their high drums are usually choked up from trying to tune a 14" drum where a 13" would sound ideal ! To see these retro timbales & my vintage Rogers set w/ custom adaptions & bell mountings...go to my face book c/o my name...as u see it here...Enjoy ! Ernesto Pediangco
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 03-03-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Typo corrections

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Created Hybrid Timbales ( Afro /Pearl Brass shells w/ Leedy Lugs & custom rims,c

Next thing to do for this set is to have custom tucked calf heads of proper head weight ( gauge ) tucked onto skin wire rims. Leedy2 ~ you are the MAN for this job...I would not trust anyone else ! Head tucking is a lost art, even the preparation & selection of calf shins has faded into obscurity since the crafts men of the Chicago rawhide heads industry faded after plastic heads came into dominance. To my knowledge...Sonor drums still makes excellent calf heads for all sizes ! But I want a genuine vintage timbale sound from theses particular shells...not same as original Leedys but acceptable to me. These heads...mounted on skin wires in these sizes...will fit my Rogers...Slingerlands and other timbales in same size drums. Perfect combination ! A drummers dream ! Plastic heads are...plastic and come in various types for various kinds of drums they have their important role & place in drumming but never has plastic sounded or felt like skins. An old school trick for keeping the skins stable in room conditions where humidity changes effect the head tunings, is 2 things : First...have a simple & quick key rod tunning system, turned from the top like any logical drum !Second : small electric light bulbs provide enough heat to keep the heads from absorbing humidity that soften the head & makes them get lower toned as humidity gets worse & playing the skins knocks them out of tune. These light bulbs ~ like night light bulbs also provide a cool effect through the translucent heads & glowing out of the bottom. Just use a proper wiring install & an in line on/off switch...possibly w/ a dimmer to adjust the light & heat of the bulb. I have used simple Velcro & elastic ribbons to mount bulbs in drums where i like them to be positioned yet are quickly removed w/o making a lot of noise on stages. Same effect is cool in Bass drums or entire drum sets. This idea goes back to the 1920s and was common w/ drummers. Some vintage kits still have the old cloth insulated covered wires & old fixtures in them ! Have FUN ! Feed back ?
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 03-03-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo correction

User Info Menu

Default Re: Created Hybrid Timbales ( Afro /Pearl Brass shells w/ Leedy Lugs & custom rims,c

Ernesto,

Can you post a picture of this fine hybrid you made?

Jerry

User Info Menu

Default Re: Created Hybrid Timbales ( Afro /Pearl Brass shells w/ Leedy Lugs & custom rims,c

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bembe View Post
    Ernesto,

Can you post a picture of this fine hybrid you made?

Jerry
    Jerry, I dont know how to add the pic in this forum...so I use CongaPlace forum for postings w/ pis ( much more in there than here ) and I create a FB group called " Comgas,Timbale<Bongos & Afro Latin drums & perc " I have so much to post but its so time consuming. Heck...I don't even have time to correct spell checking & typos !