Thread: harlo

User Info Menu

Default harlo

new to the forums, i've been tryin to post and it wont work.. so this is also a test :o

User Info Menu

wow wierd it kept saying invalid link. anyway so im a brand new drummer, in fact i dont even have a drumset and thats why im here. im also glad i found this place seems like you guys have a good thing going here.

So i've been looking at a 5piece PDP/maple with aa meinl cymbals and perhaps sabian hi-hat/ride. I've also got my eye on a gretsch catalina 4piece. And i think i'll go with ahead 5a's since they're light, i might move to 5b's later. But lemme know what you guys think i've been reading about rudiments and such, but i'd appreciate any insider advice i can get about how to progress better/faster. I've bought a practice pad and some sticks already, just practicing before i get the drumset in another 3 weeks. I listen to thrice/underoath/saosin/armor for sleep/thursday/norma jean that kinda stuff.. i've got a few kits in mind but you guys might know of one that would suit that style of playing better.. im open and ready for any advice! :D and you can bet i'll be posting here alot im amped about it all.

User Info Menu

I also would like to know about fill etc etc.. when i listen to drumming i can tell that there is a foundation beat so to speak (not sure what its really called) its the beat that is played about 3-5 times throughout the song and there seems to be what i think you guys call fill in between that. Wouldnt mind knowing a little more about the foundation of how the beats/drumming fit together.. im sure you know what im talking about.
    Last edited by Circa; 03-19-2007 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat circa

When I first joined I had just started drumming, I wasn't sure if I had a kit but I don't think I did either.

You pick it up as you go along

Welcome again
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Btw THRICE RULEZZ!!!
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

your damn right thrice rules :P i like their earlier stuff (identity crisis/illusion of safety) but bands change as they progress in their careers, they're still good

User Info Menu

Really?

Vheissu is what got me on the band wagon. I thought it was full of heart and such, plus I'm a christian and pretty much the whole Vheissu album is christian lyrically, so I enjoyed that.

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

oh man, you've gotta listen to the illusion of saftey album, hands down their best album.. if you like vheissu you'll die from IOS.. the lyrics on that album are outstanding, they play with way more heart on that album. Also listen to Identity Crisis, from the Identity Crisis album, if you're christian you'll love that song, the ending is amazing. the sound in their first two albums is totally diff from their new sound.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forums Circa.

As far as the not being able to post thing, it's a filter so that people can't just sign up and post advertising, or abuse and such. After you get a couple of posts you should be fine.

For your rudiments, check the link in my signature, that has a whole bunch and so does this place. My best advice for developing quickly is to start slowly. Use your practice pad and a metronome and work on getting a rudiment as steady as possible at a relatively slow speed before notching it up 5 or 10 bpm on the metronome.

You listen to a lot of Hardcore/Screamo stuff, it seems. It's really up to personal preference, but I'd probably go for the PDP 5 Piece, if it was a Rock Setup. Although, I do know a few people in here swear by their Gretch Catalinas. I suggest you pick whichever one you feel most comfortable playing on.

I also started with 5AN's but I recently switched to 7ANs. I'm not a huge fan of Aheads, I own a pair, but I much prefer wood sticks. Again, there are people in here who swear by their Aheads, but it's really up to what works for you.

Onto Fills. Fills are normally seen at the end of bars (or measures, for you Yankees) to add interest or to meld into the next section. They can range from just changing one hit, or using a different cymbal, to half-solo-esque proportions.

I'm not quite sure what your question is about foundation beats, but I'll give it a shot. In standard rock beats, the snare usually lands on the downbeat (i.e. 2 and 4) differing from reggae and some latin styles where they land on upbeats (1 and 3). I don't know if I covered what you were asking, but I hope that helps anyway.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drumchat - see you around the boards
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

ya that answeres a little bit of it, im gonna have to get some books on how to read music or hire a teacher, teach me things like upbeats, downbeats etc etc.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat, Circa.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

greetings, circa.