Thread: replacement skins

User Info Menu

Default replacement skins

I know it has been mentioned before in various threads, but I want to replace some bongo heads with authentic skins (not synthetic). I have seen it mentioned that the head makes the sound, and I really want that "pop" sound.

Does anyone know what kinds of skins to get that are optimal?
    Same type of heads for both the macho and hembra? or varying kinds?
    Buy in bulk?
    Any references for me?

I have a pair of Aspires that I want to supe up and want to get Matadors and replace the heads (can always save the new heads they came in).

Thanks for any available info,

Sean

User Info Menu

Default Re: replacement skins

I've tried a lot of combinations but I really prefer goat skin on the macho and a mediem thick cow skin on the hembra.

One thing that I believe really helped my playing is when I started to mount the skins myself. It may not be true for everybody but it got me closer to the drums

User Info Menu

It would probably be better to drop the matadors and buy a used drum of better quality. It might even cost you less, if you can get a bongo with skins in good condition. There was a post here recently with very good advice on choosing a good bongo.
    I have matador bongos, and changing the skins will cost me almost the same as the drum. I also have an old Generation ll, that I got used with good skins, and for less than the price for the matadors and new skins.
    cat

User Info Menu

Part of me wants to change the skins for the experience and attainment of that skill, and as Psi Aby mentioned earlier, to feel a connection with the drums, as in "these are one of a kind", or knowing the fact that I mounted the heads myself. I guess certain primitive cultures viewed their drums as sacred and I am not going that far out, but certainly there would be a deeper relationship with the drums. Plus it would improve the sound of my drums (Aspires and Bauer traditional mount).

Or perhaps this could be a total pain in the @zz!

User Info Menu

Aspires where my first bongos with chrome comfort curve crowns with Aspire heads and I was not getting that crisp pop from the macho so I sold it. I was lucky to come across a couple of JCR that needed skins on the macho so I ordered one thin mule. When I got the mule I was timid to try to mount the skin myself but with guidance over the phone I was able to wrestle it. For a first timer it was a challenging experience but it was worth it !!!! it got me closer to my bongos and more eager to learn how to play them. I've been teaching myself for the past year and half I love this instrument. I have thin mule on my macho and medium pale skin on my hembra that sounds like a tight tumba. If you get a chance check out a quick video of "COSITAS BUENAS" you know where on the second page. I'm the guy in the white tshirt.......lol
    Lord bless

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Aspires that I want to supe up and want to get Matadors and replace the heads (can always save the new heads they came in).
    Sean[/QUOTE]

Hola Sean, replacing skins is not really hard and there are many videos on how to. An extra set of hands is of great help and also a good set of plyers is a must to help pulling and accomodating the skin, you do not want to leave any bulge between the flesh hoop and the skin. The thickness of one cent is great for the Macho and as Leedy would said the thickness of 20 sheets of paper for the Hembra skin. Level the skin down on the Macho to at least 1/4" from the bearing edge to the top of the crown, this way the skin would have plenty of room to stretch . For the Hembra been a thick skin, at least 3/8" down from the bearing edge is good.

The new Matador Custom Bongos are anchored with high strength steel bottoms for stability. Only $119 on thedrumworks.com but you need to replace the skins because the factory ones are good for nothing. Just keep the steel hoop for the installation of new skins. You can get great skins from L&H percussion. Good luck.
    Last edited by Caballoballo; 04-07-2010 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Sean, tucking your own heads is not complicated. Caballoballo gave good advice--watch out for any bulges. I also suggest that you do not trim the skin too close on the Aspires. The skins can slip on the comfort rims that LP used on the Aspires not the best of rims out there (I have a set of Aspires)

User Info Menu

How much does the new skin improve the Aspires?

Where can I get sheets? of skin?

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your help, esp Mr. Caballo for the lead on skin provider. It'll be an interesting experience for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I know it has been mentioned before in various threads, but I want to replace some bongo heads with authentic skins (not synthetic). I have seen it mentioned that the head makes the sound, and I really want that "pop" sound.

Does anyone know what kinds of skins to get that are optimal?
    Same type of heads for both the macho and hembra? or varying kinds?
    Buy in bulk?
    Any references for me?

Thanks for any available info,

Sean
    Bongo heads are limited if the model of Bongo is not strong & dependable enough to tune them properly. Aspire bongos are not very strong hardwares & the head sizes are not standarised to the pro level models. But...heads that " POP " ? Pop sound as in popular sound !? I dont know what U mean ? A crisp bongo sound can be had from plastic or natural heads, I prefer naturasl young cow raw skins but use plastic in the winter or moist environments which effects the skins. I never liked the Asian heads that are common today. They are basicly dog chew toy grade of water buffolo /bison. The fibers are grainy & stretch out fast & have no natural elasticity compared to cow / calf or even goat skins. BUT I am particular ! It is the thickness & uniformity of any skin that gives tone to a single headed drum like bongos. If you are not an accomplished bongo player who has mastered the tones of the drums, you may enjoy that plastic heads are bright & do not require so much maintainence. ?