Thread: Rudiments........HELP

User Info Menu

Default Rudiments........HELP

OK guys,

Seriously I need help, I have been trying to get some rudiments down, and I just can't do it, I am not sure what is going on, most of you have seen me play, and know I can play, but I am seriously struggling with learning rudiments, I play matched grip, I just can't figure it out, I do however have a hard time, letting my fingers do most the work, cause I feel like the stick is going to fall out of my hand, if I don't grip it tighter, it is very frustrating for me, not to mention I get pretty bumbed about it, and then I start thinking I seriously suck and feel like just throwing in the sticks.

So my question now that I sound like a girl(no offense ladies), How do you guys practice rudiments? What is the easiest way to learn? How long until you see results? Why am I having such a difficult time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hellsbells58 you seem like a very solid, knowledgeable player, any advise for the weak.

User Info Menu

to start off, here is an awesome website for the 40 essential rudiments you need. Ill just copy the post I sent to someone else about rudiments.

I'm working on those 40 rudiment, they help a whole lot, not just your speed, but your timing, fills, and your overall knowledge is expanded greatly. What i do is learn, 4 rudiments a week, and practice those for like 10 minutes each day, and once you have those 4 rudiments down, you can start building your speed up (all in the same day. And remember Quality is a whole lot better than, quantity). what i mean by that is, don't just practice the rudiments and say, oh well i know how do that one pretty good, make them sound clean and smooth, and then you can move on to a faster tempo using a metronome. Increase your speed by 10 BPM each time move up to a different speed(only speed up the metronome if you have that certain speed very comfortable).

if you don't have those four rudiments down and smooth by the next week, take another week and practice the same ones over again. Remember, you have all your whole life ahead of you, don't rush though those rudiments to fast, make e'm count.

User Info Menu

sorry the link for rudiments are here forgot to post
    http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

User Info Menu

URGH i have to read over what i right more clearly, when i say you can start building your speed up (all in the same day

i mean all in the same week not day!

User Info Menu

I got ya, thanks man, that is very helpful, thank you.

I think some of my problem is, if I don't get it right away I feel defeated or something and I give up, and I have also been trying to learn them all, that is pretty stupid, I need to start very small and work on my singles and doubles first then move on after I feel comfortable, I think this will also build a lot more confidence, thanks again man.

User Info Menu

no problem, and Iv heard this a lot, if you work on your Singles, Doubles and Paradiddles, every other rudiment will be easy. And sure enough i put this to the test and its true, all other rudiments are easy compared to those 3. its those 3 rudiments that are really a kick in the teeth to get down.

User Info Menu

also if your interested, there is a little thread about rudiments.
    >>> http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=1226