Thread: Bass drum notes

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum notes

What do I do, it seems no matter what tempo slow or fast, my bass pedal foot wants to add beats, sometimes to many, when I play fast jazz triplets on the ride, my foot wants to add the same beats s the right hand, instead of the occasional beat, do i need to learn the feathering technique for my foot, thks for help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum notes

how long have you been playing?
    everyones gonna say the same thing, practice...

User Info Menu

I have been playing for awhile, but its been loud rock fast stuff, now that I need to lower the dynamics and trying to play more of a jazz type of playing, and the foot wants to play hard, I guess i need to practice just adding a few notes and a quieter feel.

User Info Menu

how long is awhile? years? months? decades?

User Info Menu

5 yrs, no lessons, learned by ear, have great backbeat, i use to play so hard, I had wood chips on the rug at the end of the nite, but now filled in for a band they said i was good butttttttttttt to loud, so I have been working on my dynamics, but it seems the foot wants to still play the same way.

User Info Menu

Is it just your foot? Your hands are ok?
    If so, muffle your kick.

Larrysperf Guest

Tighten up you spring

User Info Menu

left foot it for a while
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warrier1 View Post
    What do I do, it seems no matter what tempo slow or fast, my bass pedal foot wants to add beats, sometimes to many, when I play fast jazz triplets on the ride, my foot wants to add the same beats s the right hand, instead of the occasional beat, do i need to learn the feathering technique for my foot, thks for help.
    What you're telling us is a slight limb independance problem. You should look for a small and essential book called "4 way coordination" by Marvin Dahlgren. The book exercises will help you build your independance of all your limb.

You could also use George Lawrence Stone "Stick Control For The Snare Drummer" and "Accents and Rebounds" and work your feet just as you would do with your hands.
    Last edited by mind_drummer; 04-07-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

First of all, just work on getting your foot to play quietly without any other hands. Once you have that consistently, work your hands back into the equation, but keep your foot quiet. Start basic, then move to harder things while keeping a light dynamic. You can also muffle your drumset and tighten your spring, but it'll be more beneficial in the long run to have full control over the dynamics of your foot.

User Info Menu

They are pretty pricey, but a lot of jazzers use a lambs wool beater on their pedals for a softer, quieter feel.

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like the question is about independance more that foot technique. Is it like your right hand and right foot are connected and tend to play the same parts?

User Info Menu

Maybe try playing heel down if you're not already. Feathering the bass drum heel up could be a little difficult. Yeah you should look up some jazz independence books. My drum teacher gives me copies of pages from one of his books, and it's definitely helped with my independence.
    Last edited by xweasel; 04-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    - Zack