Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Wasting My Time?

User Info Menu

Default Am I Wasting My Time?

I’m 37 & female, am I wasting my time?

I’ve always wanted to play the drums and after some advice from a family friend, that plays drums, my husband bought me the RMP-5 Rhythm Coach. I thought to myself, what the hell am I going to do with this thing? Well after a few lessons and a lot of practicing I’M LOVING IT! I’m thinking about getting the kick pad and the cymbal pad that can be added to the rhythm coach, is this a good investment? Also, have any of you learned to play the drums later on in life? Is it possible to be a good or great drummer if you learn when you are older?

If any of you have any tips for a beginner I’d appreciate it.

Thanks! - Susan

User Info Menu

Hi Susan, Welcome to Drum Chat. I'm drumming as much as I can in my thirties and I think the most important thing you wrote in your first post was that you said you were loving it - to me that's the most important reason to play.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Its never too late

User Info Menu

Art is an end to itself. Even if you never play out, I think you'll find expressing yourself artistically will be very rewarding. Go for it!

User Info Menu

Amen. There's nothing wrong with playing just for kicks. It's all about fun anyway.

Welcome to the group Drum Chick!

User Info Menu

Talking

Please don't give up Susan, you hang in there. You love it and i can almost bet with your excitment about playing you will do just fine.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

I was in your same shoes and I was totally exited when i started to learn, and trust me, the more you learn the better it gets! and just a little something i think about when i'm learning something hard, it will be so exiting once you learn it.

User Info Menu

yep, once it starts all making sence and you start getting a little coordination
    it just takes off after that. i have found it is easier to work with younger students sure not too late. just keep it up and it will be quuite self satisfying in the long run.

User Info Menu

Cool Am I Wasting My Time?

drum_chick...no, no, no, NO, you are not wasting your time!

At the risk of boring our veteran buddies, I started studying drumming at 32 in 1984--I had always wanted to play bongos and congas and the very first book on conga and bongo drumming I picked up (the Ted Reed book!) said specifically to learn the 26 Rudiments of Drumming--and there were times I felt like I would never get past the first page of the first book.

But I kept going...and while I do most of my drumming in my church's guitar group, I've played with a number of different groups, including a big band that's headed by the son of the drum teacher from who I took my first lesson in 1984...a guy who, by the way, is now one of my closest friends. And I still cherish the comment of a young conguero--who I thought was a killer drummer--who introduced me to his buddy as "one of the best conga players I know."

So, Susan, I did it--and you can, too! Welcome to the growing number of drummin' sisters at DrumChat ... and your brother drummers are in your corner, too!

Last edited by bongobro; 03-20-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

You all are awesome, thanks for the encouraging words and confidence. You made my day!

User Info Menu

drumms sweet keep at it u'll get better lol i hope i do some freakin day lol

User Info Menu

Ha, can't believe I missed this thread..

Well, I'm 35 and just got a drum set. I haven't played in so long it feels like I'm starting all over again. (LOL) I used to play my Dad's Sonor kit when I'd get home from school. No one was around, so I'd crank up the stereo and play to what ever the local rock station was playing. Now I'm actually thinking about lessons. (which you may have already read in another thread) (LOL) I really want to be a great drummer...
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

lol..i suppose its a bit late if your trying to be the best drummer in the world..but otherwise..no way...we play for fun...and self enjoyment..and thats something anyone can have. Its not like ur a beginner and we are all pro's here lol..just keep your hopes up.

User Info Menu

Never too late. Still want to learn keys myself. Drums are more fun, tho.

User Info Menu

Cool Am I Wasting My Time?

One of my buddies in the church guitar group is letting me play bass guitar (if you can call plunk'n one note at a time by ear play'n) ... hey, it could happen; somehow "bongobass" doesn't sound right, however!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

when i started i was 31 and never thought that i might be starting too late in life until one day someone said " arent you too old to start playing the drums".
    I was already determined to play (something I always wanted to do). Well that comment inspired me along with many of my friends laughing the whole thing off also. In the first year I dedicated about 3 hours a day to the drums along with a full time job. In the second year and into the third I started practicing up to 5 hours a day ( with a full time job). i took lessons and as i already posted, could not hold the sticks when i went to my first lesson.

So three years latter and plenty of practice, I can play. get on the drums and pump some grooves out and mix up patterns around the drums etc BUT still learning and always will be. Just like Dave Lombardo!! lol

never too late. just practice and love it

User Info Menu

Oh, and showed my friends at a live gig. the last time they saw me play was when i first started and could not hold or start for that matter a rock 4 beat. then i invited them to a show we played with a band i used to be in two years latter. they were totally blown away LOL. ill never forget it

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it's not too late. Bought my first kit a month ago and I'm 40. Always wanted to learn, and now I'm having a blast.

User Info Menu

Congrats wiper. BTW...I'm in the 40 and over crowd. You'll feel right at home here. It's a good mix. Good people.

User Info Menu

Life is a waste of time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    Life is a waste of time.
    Someone's having a bad day........

User Info Menu

Sarcasm?

User Info Menu

A little..... LOL

No really, you having a bad day today???

User Info Menu

Not really. I dont really good or bad days. Everything just kinda melts together into a gray existance

User Info Menu

(sarcasm again)

My day has been fine thanks.