Thread: Wrist pain!

User Info Menu

Unhappy Wrist pain!

Do any of you guys get pain in your wrist? Mine is in my right wrist (Im right handed) Usually when I play the first couple of songs Im hurting bad. Then after fighting thru the pain it will go away. I have seen my chiroprator and he said it is not carpal tunnel but the bones on the top of the wrist are out of alignment. He says I need to grab someone elses hand like I would if I were to shake it and have that person grab my arm about 5 inches up on my arm and then pull on my hand to re-align the wrist. Sounds weird I know but he did it to me and I could not believe the sound it made when my bones cracked.

User Info Menu

I agree with him fully Dave. I am a Chiro student and he is right. When any joint is out of alignment, it is not only going to cause immediate pain in that area, but it could also create issues on down the line, for instance the elbow and shoulder as well. This is like when a car is out of alignment, not only do you have vibration in the steering wheel, but you have abnormal wear on your tires as well.

So in essence, I would take his advice and maybe even throw in some warm up exercises for the wrist to get yourself ready. But once you are warmed up and have someone help you adjust it, you should be ready to rock out!!!!

I will try to find some joint exercises for you and let you know, I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck Bro, and don't let this stop ya from banging on dem DRUMS!!!!

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Thanks a bunch. Have you heard if the anti-vibe sticks they sell now work? I know that there a must for playing on the hard rubber surface of practice pads and digital kits. Also technique is the most important and I have been watching that closely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Do any of you guys get pain in your wrist? Mine is in my right wrist (Im right handed) Usually when I play the first couple of songs Im hurting bad. Then after fighting thru the pain it will go away. I have seen my chiroprator and he said it is not carpal tunnel but the bones on the top of the wrist are out of alignment. He says I need to grab someone elses hand like I would if I were to shake it and have that person grab my arm about 5 inches up on my arm and then pull on my hand to re-align the wrist. Sounds weird I know but he did it to me and I could not believe the sound it made when my bones cracked.
    I've had pain in my wrists, not from playing but from encoding doing data entry on a 10-key machine for 12 years...and having tendonitis TWICE.

Here's some useful advice for the pain:

Before you begin, start by placing your hands on the wall, at shoulder level. Bend your wrists back, enough you feel a slight pull. Do this 10 times after you've counted to 10 each time you do it. Your wrists shouldn't feel as painful.

If that doesn't help as much, get some of those rubber band things to help stretch. Sometimes it could also be pain in the forearms that is causing the pain in the wrists, so these will help tremendously. Stretches are good to prevent pain during those repetitive events in life using hands

Another thing you could try, if it came down to it, putting on wrist braces to subside the pain. I don't know about drumming with those on, but sleeping with them straightened my wrists out.

Hope that helps some. And also, sometimes that Ice gel stuff rubbed on wrists will make that feel better also.

Thank god for knowing some good medical knowledge.

User Info Menu

thats natural ....i have to fight the pain on the first couple track to .i`m a pretty hard hitter live and it takes it`s toll but like you say it goes away after a bit .i always compare it to a runner doing a marathon and getting through the pain barrier .

happy tapping mate
    dave

User Info Menu

bugger double post .,...grrrrr

User Info Menu

hmm..well once again im a youngin so u can disregard everything that i have to say-- but I have to say its about stick placement and hitting technique - improve that- kill the pain (more or less) sometimes you just cant escape it but most of it can be avoided

you need to lighten up your grip and make sure the placement of the stick is on the outer crease of ur finger--not the middle like most players do

Ill post info about placement soon