I play with 7a sticks. Vic Firth 7aN to be precise. I actually used to play with Rock N's or 5bN. I used the 7a's as a quick fix one night when I forgot my stick bag and I fell in love.

I've had two shoulder surgeries. They tightened up the anterior, and then went in re-tightened the anterior and tightened the posterior. The sticks were just a little bit lighter and eased up on my shoulder aches when we played gigs. I believe a show is more than just playing the music, so I tend to get into it like any good musician and go monkey man on it.

Since my band has gotten back together, the first few practices were pretty good. However, I've started to get really bad fatigue and cramping in my forearm. I think I'm gripping my stick too much. I narrowed it down to my thumb actually.

I don't know why it's happening, I've played drums forever and just not had any problems with this. I'm currently looking into some Sex Wax or some dipped sticks to try.

I've tried forcing myself to relax but eventually I just start going back to square one. I either concentrate too much on keeping my hand loose and screw up, or I just cramp up.

I really want to fix this. It's really bothering me...mentally more than physically.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?