Thread: Would someone damaging your drum(s) be justifiable for homicide?

Fullstop Guest

Default Would someone damaging your drum(s) be justifiable for homicide?

When I was on my 3 year "retirement", I let my younger brother borrow my Lars Ulrich Diamond Plated snare. His snare had damaged hardware and he didn't have the money to buy replacement parts, so I figured no big deal.

I laid down the rules: Keep the baby in it's case when it's not in use. Wipe it down after each use. When it's said and done, you share the cost of the heads, and snare. It was agreeable.

He left the snare in the bag at their rehearsal spot. A garage...non heated, or air conditioned, nor insulated. He was bringing it home, but he left it there for the cold months.

Apparently his bassist (who's garage it is), was pulling a a little dirty crap on the side and was practicing with other people behind the bands back....using my brothers kit...and MY snare.

They left it on the stand. The guy who was drumming can't drum for garbage. They stuck a stick in the basket and levered up and used it to pull across the snares and reso head. (Don't know why..)

There were air drafts, plenty of rain and snow....and myself...crying. Aside from the heads and the snare being damaged my chromed parts are blistered. All the lugs, tension rods, throw switch, butt plate, rims...and the diamond plated snare itself...

I'm pretty pissed off. More or less at a loss of what to do. Should I go after him for a new snare? Should I try to replace the parts and repair this one? Murder? Hit him with the snare?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would someone damaging your drum(s) be justifiable for homicide?

I would knock him, out drag him into my basement (please don't comment), pour PopRocks all over him, and dump a cooler of soda on him. Just to see what would happen you know?

Anyway, that must really stink. I actually would go after him for another snare. They are in the wrong.

I hope that's reassuring.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

Fullstop Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    I would knock him, out drag him into my basement (please don't comment), pour PopRocks all over him, and dump a cooler of soda on him. Just to see what would happen you know?

Anyway, that must really stink. I actually would go after him for another snare. They are in the wrong.

I hope that's reassuring.
    It's helping quite a bit. I needed a good laugh to break the funk of being mad. I'm hitting him up for a new snare drum, and he's all kissing my ***. I don't know what about my brother and his friends have told him, but I think he's scared of me.

User Info Menu

go after him for the money to buy a new one.

this may wind up being a blessing if you would rather apply the money to something else instead of that exact snare.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that, but you just learned a valuable lesson. Never loan out your equipment, not even to family.

Your brother should have been responsible enough to take care of it in the first place.

He should be the one to replace it for you and then he can go after the bass player for the damages.

Good luck on this one.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Sorry to hear that, but you just learned a valuable lesson. Never loan out your equipment, not even to family.

Your brother should have been responsible enough to take care of it in the first place.

He should be the one to replace it for you and then he can go after the bass player for the damages.

Good luck on this one.
    +1 I totally agree. Your brother is very lucky that you are more angry at the bass player.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Seems like your mad at the wrong person you left it in your brothers hands and he left it at someone else's house.

User Info Menu

+ 1, as well, re PB and gonefishin', above. Your brother's in for a fairly long "holiday" from borrowing privileges, I assume. Hopefully this will provide an opportunity not for a brotherly feud (understandable as the feelings may be), but some serious "take care of me bro!'" discussions. Bass player--really on the "deserve no equipment privileges" list.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

. Was it the bass players fault? partially. But ultimately your brother shouldnt have left it there.
    Yea it sucks that your brother didnt take better care of your drum.
    BUT
    Remember in the end your brother is way more important than any drum. Dont let this ruin your relationship with your brother.

User Info Menu

Well said NR. In the end, stuff comes and goes, but family should be forever. BTW, have you thought of taking up ministry?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

Good luck on this one.
    Not to clash here, but if you can't trust your brother who can you trust?

No offense but this falls solely on your brother. It was his responsibility and negated to take the care that you apparently forewarned him about.

dave0549jv Guest

you should poop in their pillowcases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    you should poop in their pillowcases
    after eating a bunch of you know what

User Info Menu

Choke him with the Snare Wires?
    Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

Fullstop Guest

Ultimately. I decided that they both should take the hit for this. My brother should've kept it safe, bass player should've kept his mitts to himself.

I had a serious talk with them about how I was not only pissed, but seriously hurt and disappointed. It wasn't some crap throwaway snare drum...that was high dollar. Hence...They need to cough up the dough to REPLACE it. I don't care how...sell kidneys, sell their bodies...

I gave them two weeks to come up with the money. They agreed that they are going to pay. My brother knows that I won't hesitate to go upside his head over my gear. The bass player has heard stories too, I guess.

Lesson learned. Hopefully on both ends.

I'm still upset, but like I said...I'm really disappointed. I put myself out there letting him borrow that snare drum. *shrug*

They're off the list of gear loaning. We let the local promoter borrow our p.a., of course we're always there at the time anyway.

*sigh*

I'll retire the Lars...

User Info Menu

Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    . Was it the bass players fault? partially. But ultimately your brother shouldnt have left it there.
    Yea it sucks that your brother didnt take better care of your drum.
    BUT
    Remember in the end your brother is way more important than any drum. Dont let this ruin your relationship with your brother.
    I couldnt agree more.....family does come first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullstop View Post
    Ultimately. I decided that they both should take the hit for this. My brother should've kept it safe, bass player should've kept his mitts to himself.

I had a serious talk with them about how I was not only pissed, but seriously hurt and disappointed. It wasn't some crap throwaway snare drum...that was high dollar. Hence...They need to cough up the dough to REPLACE it. I don't care how...sell kidneys, sell their bodies...

I gave them two weeks to come up with the money. They agreed that they are going to pay. My brother knows that I won't hesitate to go upside his head over my gear. The bass player has heard stories too, I guess.

Lesson learned. Hopefully on both ends.

I'm still upset, but like I said...I'm really disappointed. I put myself out there letting him borrow that snare drum. *shrug*

They're off the list of gear loaning. We let the local promoter borrow our p.a., of course we're always there at the time anyway.

*sigh*

I'll retire the Lars...
    Good to hear youre working things out with the 2 of them and they are willing to except responsibility.( and you didnt have to use violence )
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Make your brother and/or the bassist pay you back, yeah, this is why i never borrow ANYTHING thas has to do with my drums
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well said NR. In the end, stuff comes and goes, but family should be forever. BTW, have you thought of taking up ministry?
    PB hes to corupted to be saved lol

User Info Menu

i think it your fault

you should't pass your snare

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Homicide?
    No!
    But you could shackle him up in the town square and have passers by throw rotten tomatoes and him and make good sport of him...

I'm guessing this cure for ignorance was stopped by elected officials for fear their own ignorance would get them tied to the whipping post in front of their peers and made sport of...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...