Thread: Great video for recording.

User Info Menu

Default Great video for recording.

To some of you pros out there, this maybe a bit basic, however this answers a lot of questions I have seen popping over time in this forum. Enjoy.

http://www.vicfirth.com/exchange/201...ing-drums-101/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Great video for recording.

I know I preach this all of the time and it is not mentioned in the video, is do not forget your room acoustics. It will play more into your sound than you can imagine.

User Info Menu

It's better to set up your kit slanted in the room not sqare with the room. (better acoustics) When your room has poor acoustics or is too small make your room completely dry and then adding verb later.

User Info Menu

so true CGE. DRY, DRY, DRY. Go dry and add the verb to taste. Acoustic treatment to walls is invaluable. It will help kill the high end wash.

User Info Menu

One problem with this micing setup is the overhead configuration requires tom micing to work properly if you don't have tom mics you'll definately need to XY over your kick knee (the leg you press the kick with)

User Info Menu

Nucjd: You seem to know alot about this stuff. I'm in a basement with drywall, sticky tiles on the concrete floor and a drop ceiling. It's a small space.

It's SO LOUD in there that it's tough to get a good recording. I was thinking about getting those foam mattress pads from Bed Bath & Beyond for the walls to deaden it some.

Any other cheap tricks you can share?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Hey CycleDude. I had problems like yourself and have tackled them relatively well. If you look at my pics in my profile you will see on the wall my home made acoustic treatment. I used area rugs and built 2x4 frames and then mounted them on the walls. The big problem with drums is not only is it a small space, but the walls are parallel which allows standing waves of sound to build. they will be of different frequencies and and therefore accentuate different ranges of frequencies. Usually in the room you describe like al lot of rooms there is probably a ton of high end back slap echos and probably some "boomyness" in the bass frequency. The wall treatments you described will go a long way in taming the high end and allow the individual portions of the kit to have a defined space in the track instead of one loud mushy sound. You are doing the right things by handling the room acoustics first which are 90% of the reason we have problem with sound when recording. If you have bas issues you ca use "bass traps". These are pieces of angled foam in the corners of your room which trap bass build up. Do an experiment. Have a friend hit your bas drum and go stick your head in the lower corner of your room. You will be amazed at how much bass you will hear. Foam in these regions will isolate that frequency nicely. Anyway, you are doing the right thing. Drummers sometimes do not realize the sound they are wanting or getting from their kits are not from the kit itself but the room.

User Info Menu

Heh.. He called the cymbals brass.
    Pearl Vision VX - Red Wine w/ Black Hardware
    Kick: 22x18 - Stock Skins
    Toms: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16 - Stock Skins
    Snare: 14x5.5 SensiTone - Stock Skins

Cymbals:
    Paiste PST5 14" Medium Hats
    Paiste PST5 16" Medium Crash
    Paiste PST5 20" Medium Ride

Hardware: