Thread: Beginner drumsets

User Info Menu

Default Beginner drumsets

Ok so i cant make up my mind between these two sets, a PDP/maple 4piece (CXR on their webpage) or a Gretsch Fusion/catalina maple.. but i was also looking at a catalin birch set also by Gretsch. These kits cost from 600ish-800ish. which i think is resonable, after cymbals/hardware i'd be looking around 1000-1200.

So heres my question, what do you guys think about these sets. Also im thinking would it be better to buy a cheaper set, then upgrade the heads. but im also not sure how good it would sound even with an upgrade. Even though im a beginner i want good beginner gear, even if it costs more..

So what are your opinions

User Info Menu

The catalina GRETCH kits sound great, twas my first kit as well... Ahhh, I remember it as though it was yesterday................ Well, on the Catalinas I think the stock heads are all right, so they won`t need replacing. Yes, I hear you though, it is nice to start out on something nice, but I think there is a fine line between buying a beginner kit as a beginner or buying a kit much to large and advanced for someone just starting their journey out into the drumming world... That said, it is not like I`d despise someone if they went out and bought something thats perhaps a little over their head. Then, they`ll have nothing to work towards! This in mind... You also want something that will keep you motivated to continue practicing day in and day out....
    DAMN! I THINK I AM STARTING TO RAMBLE!!!
    My appologies...

So, yes, the Catalina with stock heads is without a shadow of a doubt a good option!
    Hope I was of some assistance...
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Yea i definitely want a decent set but not the best.. plus i cant afford that lol.. i really like the look of the gretsch drums alot, there is a small drum shop by my house that sells, pdp/gretsch/dw/ludwig drums, think im gonna go up and talk to a guy about ordering and pricing.. i went to guitar center which is a nice store but kinda just got the run around. I want a 4piece and the guys like MAN GET A 6 PEICE ITS OWNAGESAUGEPWNL33TRFLSOWN.. and was trying to sell me all this stuff i didnt need and i couldnt really get a clear answer on what the hell would help me as a beginner.. BUY THESE ZXT'S THEY ROCK yea ok i dont have 800 to spend on cymbals.. wow that was a rant, anyway i think a smaller shop willing to work with me and order what i want instead of being a salesman would help
    Last edited by Circa; 03-20-2007 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Circa,

Do you have to buy a brand new kit? Why not start out with a used kit. Check out ebay... You might find a great used set thats half the price of a new one. (money left over for hardware, cymbals).
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

ya, i checked out ebay they have a gretsch .. with hardware, but its mahogany.. should i save for a birch set atleast? im not sure if mahogany sounds decent or not

User Info Menu

It all depends on the sound you're going for. I'm not 100% on this, but I think Mahogany would sound a lot deeper and warmer than Birch or Maple. Maple I know for sure gives a nice deep sound with good tone. And Birch is supposedly brighter with more resonance.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Anyhow, I reckon a Mahogany set would sound and look great, provided its a natural finish. Mahogany is an awesome darkwood. It'd match your coffee table =P

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Yes i was listening/watching some vids of gretsch drums.. and it just occured to me its got a totally different sound than what im going for and thats the set i wanted to buy, it has a more jazzy sound. Im going for more of a rock sound.. any tips one which kit to buy, looking at a pdp set now.

User Info Menu

Maple is pretty much the standard wood for rock kits. But seriously, I'd look into that Mahogany one. I think that would sound absolutely fat and deep. Besides, how many people do you know that own Mahogany kits? It sort of sets you apart from the crowd in a way.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

yea, i was looking at one, but I have a guy that will sell me a PDP/FX maple set with harware for 860$, gonna get that sucker this coming tuesday!!! im excited

User Info Menu

i've got a gretsch, nothing more than reliable and loaded with quality. Catalina, or Catie, as i call mine, can hold alot of cool sounds if you know how to work her right. not only is that sexy, but affordable and impressive. i respect your decision though, maple does sound way better than birch. hope you have fun with it
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

HI!
    I'n trying to learn as much as possible. I've got a Yamaha Electronic drum set, and I would like to know if a real drum set differs much from the one I've got. Is it a mistake to learn on an electronic one?

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

well im not a pro by any means, but i've watched alot of things, and read alot of things thus far. The only drawback i can see is perhaps your "drumming ear" might lack if you always played an electronic set. I dunno thats just what i've read no personal experience there. And i would think there would be nothing that compares to rockin out on a real drumset, the vibe and the beat of playing on a real set ( i think ) would hit you in a totally different way.. might get you into it more.

User Info Menu

ya i really wanted to go with a gretsch Heart, i was listening and watching some vids of their drums and man i gotta say, it sounded really jazzy, i love jazz and it sounds awesome on drums, but i dont think im personally lookin for that sound. But we'll see, im sure by the time this is all over i'll have more than one set When i get the set on tuesday i'll take some pics of it post it on the show me your drumset thread