Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check Yourself

User Info Menu

Cool Check yourself

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    coming from an irish/german family full of alcoholics, i would for sure say that alcohol is more dangerous.
    disclaimer....funky does not condone the use of drugs and alcohol by minors.
    Amen, funkster! Truth is, alcohol is more dangerous because it is socially acceptable. Living in an area where a certain brand of alcohol is produced and revered (with ferrets, frogs, lizards and Clydesdales), havin' a brewski is considered as much a part of growing up as havin' a Big Mac.

Trouble is, some 85 years ago they tried prohibiting alcohol. Didn't work from what I read...

Disclaimer #2: bongobro doesn't condone the use of drugs or alcohol by minors, either.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Amen, funkster! Truth is, alcohol is more dangerous because it is socially acceptable. Living in an area where a certain brand of alcohol is produced and revered (with ferrets, frogs, lizards and Clydesdales), havin' a brewski is considered as much a part of growing up as havin' a Big Mac.

Trouble is, some 85 years ago they tried prohibiting alcohol. Didn't work from what I read...

Disclaimer #2: bongobro doesn't condone the use of drugs or alcohol by minors, either.
    read? my arse. you know you were there. bangin them bongos in the speak easy. ya old fart

User Info Menu

Here ya go - this website seems apt for this thread - i had a good laugh, but it's a cool idea. i like it

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/stoners/?id=goo#
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

My wife's a nurse. She sees the damage weed and other drugs can do to people first hand on a daily basis. Usually, though, we're talking extreme users. They seriously harm themselves. Most often there's something else going on there...some kind of mental illness or genetic predisposition to addiction that fuels the fire. I never heard of anyone dying from occasional and moderate recreational pot smoking. It just seems that these days too many people don't know there own limits and end up hurting themselves or others.
    Me, I can't smoke the stuff unless I have absolutely nothing to do that requires thought, motor skills, or intelligible communication. And I haven't been in that situation in many years. Time's too short and life's too full.
    I play Sonor Signature Series drums, Zildijian & Sabian cymbals.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Check Yourself

Still waiting for a response from Sethdrummer as to whether he's kidding or serious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Still waiting for a response from Sethdrummer as to whether he's kidding or serious.
    Yeah, we've been waiting for a year Seth!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums-rock View Post
    hey im 13 so im like just in the teenage but im promised my self not to take the dam stuff as it just screws up your life and if i smoke ive told all my friends to beat me up i want to live as long as possible! :P
    just because you dont drink, smoke or do drugs dont mean you will live forever...
    my grandfather have smoked everyday since he was 13 and hes 80 now and still going strong...
    i my self have smoked since i was 14 and im 24 now, and i dont get out of breath after running 10 steps, its all about keeping the body going...
    i've smoked for 10 years now and the only thing wrong with my body is im alergic to a lot of things, and that is not a side effect of smoking....

but i can only say that you are a really smart kid, if you dont cave in to the presure... peer presure is a bad thing, can make most kids do all sorts of crazy things
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
    Does this mean that drummers are insane ?

User Info Menu

Mr. Ice, although it is true that smoking is not an absolute death sentence, it is true that smoking introduces carbon monoxide into your body, thereby robbing you of oxygen (not to mention the tars that accumulate in the lungs, impairing their function. You can improve your overall fitness, and it will help offset the effects of smoking, but just think how much better it could be if you worked on your fitness, and didn't smoke.

On the other hand, there are many vices out there, and some folks that don't drink, smoke, or take drugs, are killing themselves by being couch potatoes, and overeating.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Mr. Ice, although it is true that smoking is not an absolute death sentence, it is true that smoking introduces carbon monoxide into your body, thereby robbing you of oxygen (not to mention the tars that accumulate in the lungs, impairing their function. You can improve your overall fitness, and it will help offset the effects of smoking, but just think how much better it could be if you worked on your fitness, and didn't smoke.

On the other hand, there are many vices out there, and some folks that don't drink, smoke, or take drugs, are killing themselves by being couch potatoes, and overeating.
    that is almost what i wanted to write, just could'nt find the words...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein

User Info Menu

Happy to help out Mr Ice. Maybe you'll be there for me when I can't find the words.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

i hope so

i bet you have a much easyer time at expressing yourself in english than me... not that my english sucks or anything, i just dont know all the words

User Info Menu

Hey, you're doing better than me. I don't speak Danish at all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hey, you're doing better than me. I don't speak Danish at all!
    some say that it is the hardest language to learn... i dont think its that hard

User Info Menu

I've never had a drink of beer or anything, and I've never done any drugs and I plan to keep it that way!

User Info Menu

Cool Fred!!

I wish I could've had the same positive thoughts you have when I was your age. I was a party person. I personally believe that alcohol should be illegal. Very bad for ya! Any drug will have negative effects on you. It just may take time. One of my best friends, who was a really good drummer, basically killed himself with alcohol. I remember some really sad times of him. Most of all he pretty much gave up everything, except alcohol. I was his last inspiration for music. I used to drag him out of the house to go to a bar and Open Mic. Just him and I. Bass and Drums. People really dug our stuff. Always off the cuff, never rehearsed. I also remember the morning he died. December 21, 1998.

User Info Menu

I am 15 years old going on 16 this year. I have many friends that do pot and pills. I don't mind people smoking pot but i have a hate for people that do pills and needles. Even tho my friends smoke pot around me i have never been tempted to try anything and i hopfully will stay that way.

All my mates drink. I can say drinking is ok to the level that it is under control and not a problem. When people start passing out on the fall and vomiting it is getting out off control and i think it is stupid.

Under age drinking is a problem in Australia at the moment, with the goverment raising price on mixed drinks. What i thought was a stupid idear. Now the kids find out that it is cheeper to buy a bottle of vodka and mix it with that sweet stuff. They make the drink stronger and put them self more at risk.

If parents teach there children about alcho from a early age i think it could stop future drinking problems.

Did i make any sense at all lol

User Info Menu

I must say, I found that site pretty patronising. An example, I took that 'Crush' flash quiz to find out where I am on drugs and alcohol. And hey hey! 'Do I get in Heather's face about her flirting with the guy I'm after, or do I ask for an ecstasy pill as well?' Nobody think to include the 'It isn't worth it either way, I'd rather go back to dancing?' option?
    It's really far too black and white, assumes that everyone falls into the two categories of crowd-enslaved sheep or aggressive, hormonal angst-bag.

That said, I drink only in moderation and among friends, and have no plans to ever take drugs which aren't essentially forced upon me by trained medical staff. Smoking's a no-no as well for me, so I think I can probably take that site with a laugh and a chuckle.

In fact, I just went and did all their 'Choices', just to see where they'd lead. Predictable, black and white and unrealistic. Meh/10, to be honest. Taking that site as a guide to how you should and shouldn't act is frankly limiting your moral options.

User Info Menu

I've said this before.. I have friends who do drugs, and some of them haven't hit puberty yet. I'ts probably gonna be sad in a few years though..
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Its quite sad- in the town next to me, you walk downtown, and at the ampitheater next to the library there is always a group of highschoolers (freshmen, even) doing pot. Everyone knows they're there, but the police ignore them. Its unpleasant when I find out that even nice kids I know are doing pot out by the library... Its good to know how many kids in my town are above the influence though.

User Info Menu

as expensive as drumming is, who's got the cash to poison themselves
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

When I was in my early teens I grew up In Chicago. Dope was everywhere and the influences and peer pressures were strong. There was a place that a kid could go to after school. It was called "Alternatives", and it was a government subsidized program, run by 4 of the coolest ladies I ever met. They would help with homework, had an arts n crafts program, they also would counsel kids. The best and most alluring part about Alternatives was they had music! Guitars, Marshall amps, and Ludwig drums! They got me into loving music and drumming for the first time. They could also jam! They would pick up the guitars and we would play with them. They taught me Smoke on The Water LOL, even went to a recording studio and I was on bongos and congas. Sadly they had to close due to lack of funds. Made me sad, I loved the place and will never forget the 4 jammin ladies. There should be more programs like this for kids, especially inner city kids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I've said this before.. I have friends who do drugs, and some of them haven't hit puberty yet. I'ts probably gonna be sad in a few years though..
    You're right. It's probably gonna get worse and worse.
    Last edited by almostmatt1; 05-04-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: language
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: Check Yourself

Take my word for it because I`ve been there and done that.It WILL get worse.I call it the snowball effect.At first it starts out small but when it gets rolling,it`s a ride to the bottom and it`s a whole lot bigger.At the bottom are things like loss of family/job,jail and death.Those who walk the straight and narrow are careful not to slip because they are paying attention to where they are going.I could tell you some stories that would curl your hair.I was a Con artist who conned myself.I would say,"today is a nice sunny day,I think I`ll get wasted",or "today is a nasty rainy day,I think I`ll get wasted".I had more excuses than hair on my head.If I would have saved all that money I could have retired early or bought the biggest drum set on the Earth.I am just happy to be alive and with that comes health,happiness and trust.Thank God I got another chance or I would probably be dead by now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your testimony LL.

User Info Menu

Like all young people we always think....It won't happen to me....I'll just try it and before you know......you're doing it all the time and can't stop. The thing is none of us know who can "just try it" and never do it again or who will be doing itfor months, years a lifetime and can't stop. What a waste of a good life. I have seen it in my own life and friends and some just can't stop no matter how hard they try. I know there is help out there but is it really worth taking that chance? Is it worth wasting your life for?

I don't think so.
    Last edited by brokenstix; 02-15-2011 at 05:25 AM.