Thread: A Beast of a Shekere

User Info Menu

Default A Beast of a Shekere

This is the latest Shekere I have been working on, trying to get it finished up for the massive drum circle at the 47th annual Eeyore's Birthday Party in Austin, TX weekend after next. This shekere is humongous compared to the others I've made, its a good 20"+ tall and probably 20" around. The gourd is nice and thick with a great shape and has a fat bassy tone to it, a true musical sound even without the beads. I have about 4 or 5 more rows to finish up and it'll be done, stay tuned for more pics.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Beast of a Shekere

What are some of the other names of that type of instrument?

User Info Menu

Shekere is the African name, the Cubans call it Chekere, and I believe it is known as Xequere in Brazil.

User Info Menu

Very Nice! What is a shekere made from? Is it some kind of dried fruit or veg? I watched an episode of dirty jobs where they were drying out and sanding down some kinda squash the looked very similar to a shekeres but they were making bunnys out of them.
    l4c

User Info Menu

Very nice DIY project Gretschhead, and nice job on the beading - very uniform, and nice pattern.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

What a marvelous project. Hope you can post a vid after you complete this project. You'll be a focus of the drum circle!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Very Nice! What is a shekere made from? Is it some kind of dried fruit or veg? I watched an episode of dirty jobs where they were drying out and sanding down some kinda squash the looked very similar to a shekeres but they were making bunnys out of them.
    l4c
    You're exactly right L4C, they are made from dried gourds which is a squash like fruit. There are tons of different kinds, shapes, and sizes. The gourd is dried and then you remove all of the seeds and pulp stuff inside (kinda like the inside of a pumpkin). Anything from seeds, shells, and beads of all types of materials are strung in a net like fashion. I prefer plastic beads for their sharp defined sound, that and they are easily accessible. I've used wooden beads before and the sound was mellowed quite drastically compared to the acrylic.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys! Tadman, I don't personally have a video camera, but I'm willing to bet someone will be shooting footage of the drum circle I'll be at next weekend, so I'll see if I can't get a video up afterwards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Very nice DIY project Gretschhead, and nice job on the beading - very uniform, and nice pattern.
    I agree with PB, very nice work.

I would be interested in more info like where and how did you pick the gourd and what is your process of weaving the beads etc.......where you learned how to do that.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I agree with PB, very nice work.

I would be interested in more info like where and how did you pick the gourd and what is your process of weaving the beads etc.......where you learned how to do that.
    This particular gourd I found on ebay for a few bucks, I have a pretty decent stash of them at my house. If you can find a local gourd farm, that would be ideal because you can pick the right shape and thickness out of hundreds. I used a hacksaw to cut the top off for the sound hole and used a coat hanger to scrape out all of the seeds and pulp inside. The smoother the walls are inside, the better it will project. The net is very time consuming, but not really that difficult. Start with a top ring and tie on about 30 or so long pieces of string. Slip a bead on 1 string, tie a knot with the string next to it making a V, and just continue around the gourd. There are a few sites I found online with instructions, but once you figure it out its pretty straight forward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    This particular gourd I found on ebay for a few bucks, I have a pretty decent stash of them at my house. If you can find a local gourd farm, that would be ideal because you can pick the right shape and thickness out of hundreds. I used a hacksaw to cut the top off for the sound hole and used a coat hanger to scrape out all of the seeds and pulp inside. The smoother the walls are inside, the better it will project. The net is very time consuming, but not really that difficult. Start with a top ring and tie on about 30 or so long pieces of string. Slip a bead on 1 string, tie a knot with the string next to it making a V, and just continue around the gourd. There are a few sites I found online with instructions, but once you figure it out its pretty straight forward.
    Way cool, very nice job looks like you need patience for one of them. Any beads on the inside or just the outside.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey