Thread: Ludwig coliseum tuning

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig coliseum tuning

I recently purchased a 1982 Ludwig 14x8 Coliseum snare drum.
    I have replaced....
    The strainer with the original p-85
    Snare wires to the 42 Strand wires
    Both heads, Remo CS and Ambassador snare side
    Im still not completely happy with the sound and the snares need to be tightened. Even with the snares really tight it seems to lack something, not sure but yeah. Any avice would be appreciated
    Cheers Ryan
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig coliseum tuning

What dont you like about the sound? What kind of sound do you want?
    I like mine kinda middle road (not high and not low) with no overtones. I use two moon gels on my snare, some would frown, but i like a short snare sound.

User Info Menu

Ah, I wish Id never gotten rid of mine. Cant help ya, since I dont recall how I used to tune it, just remember playing tapes of some gigs to my buddy Paul (also a drummer) and him saying "What snare is that? Is that your Noble & Cooley?"...nope, it wasnt!

ThePloughman Guest

Were 42 strand wires original equipment on that drum? If not, that is where I would start.

User Info Menu

I dare say the 42 strand wires werent original. Im after a real beefy sound, something that cracks but has depth. Hard to put my finger on, but something like Carter Beauford.
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

Well i changed the snare wires from the 42s to the standards and hey presto! So i put the 42s onto an old Premier 14x5 wooden snare just for curiosity. Unbeleivalbe sound, Genera head and hazy 300 side and what an amazing sound. It realy does count to just stuff around and experiment. No rules to drums, Gotta love it!
    I Drum, therefore I am

Larrysperf Guest

On Ludwig go with 20 strand emperior batter and ambassador reso or hasy 300 Just my 2 cents

User Info Menu

Ill definatley keep that in mind. Ive had good experiences with the CS dot, and the blokes at my local Drum shop (Billy Hydes) suggested the CS. But im very open to change. I suggested a Hazy 300 side, they suggested the ambassador side. So i went with that to see what its like. I might try the 20 strand wires as the standards look a little dwarfed by the drum itself.
    Cheers
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    On Ludwig go with 20 strand emperior batter and ambassador reso or hasy 300 Just my 2 cents
    X2
    Also those drums dont liked to be tuned high.