Thread: Pillow or the snare?

User Info Menu

Default Pillow or the snare?

Yo guys, i just want to get this off my mind.

should i practice rudiments on a pillow or a snare? ( I have been practicing on a snare ),

..and what are the benefits of both of these styles?

User Info Menu

The benefits of playing on a pillow...
    For one, your hand strength will increase,
    With that your speed will increase

Then again, transfering that pillow work to the snare drum is a big jump in feel. I vote both. This, at least is what my drum teacher has told me. Especially when weak in a certain aspect of snare drumming or rudements.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

It couldn't hurt to do both. I myself use a practice pad. If you wanted to increase your speed just practicing on a snare though, you can use heavier sticks than what you use to play to workout your wrists and arms more.

Which is what I think I'm going to start doing. I normally use 7As to perform with, but I have a pair of 5As lying around here. Could be worth a try.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

alright cool, i just practiced for about an hour on my pillow and i like it because when i practice on my snare after about 30 mins my back starts to ache, and with a pillow u can move it around and just chill out and watch TV more comfortably, just my thought on it though. thanks Hells

User Info Menu

when i first started i practiced on a pillow alot!! that developed strenght especially in my left hand. i found that when i went to the pad or snare it felt weird and very bouncy. so i figured that since i will be playing the drums in a band with a snare and not a pillow lmao i started practicing alot on the snare and pad for the natural rebound effect.

User Info Menu

I practice for the first 15-30 minutes on a pillow and then I practice on my practice pad. I've only been doing this for the last week and I can already tell the difference in the strength in my left hand and just my overall performance and speed.

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on who is in the pillow beside your pillow.

User Info Menu

Cool Pillow or the snare?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    alright cool, i just practiced for about an hour on my pillow and i like it because when i practice on my snare after about 30 mins my back starts to ache, and with a pillow u can move it around and just chill out and watch TV more comfortably, just my thought on it though. thanks Hells
    Hey, Lafirin--if your back is hurting after practicing on your snare, you might want to check either how high (or low) your snare is setting OR how you're sitting in relationship to the snare.

Sounds to me like you're having to compensate by bending or stretching your back--while your arms may ache a little after your practice, your back shouldn't be.

As regards to pillow vs. snare, I thought that's why practice pads were developed ... besides, what happens if you beat the stuff'n out of the pillow? Could be messy if you sleep on feather pillows...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    As regards to pillow vs. snare, I thought that's why practice pads were developed ... besides, what happens if you beat the stuff'n out of the pillow? Could be messy if you sleep on feather pillows...
    toshay! i was just thinking that same thought today. maybe i will just go and pick me up a practice pad. oh and thanks for the replay on my back situation bongo , i don't wanna end up lookin like an old man just yet.