Thread: Shorten the bass drum note live? Subwoofer use

User Info Menu

Question Shorten the bass drum note live? Subwoofer use

Hi guys, I've got a nice old 28X12 bass drum I want to start using live, I like the low note and extra volume it gives but I think when mic'd up to a PA/Sub there will be to much sustain,
    It's got the original calf heads and I do NOT want to make a hole so internal dampening is something I can easily or want to change,
    What are my options?
    I was thinking a guitar type pedal would give me some control, maybe with ADSR and or a compressor with a gate? don't know if such a thing exists, haven't found much with google
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by jonutarr; 04-17-2010 at 10:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shorten the bass drum note live? Subwoofer use

External muffler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    External muffler
    Who sells an external muffler of a 28" diameter? I've never seen one before.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Less than $15-20. Pretty easy to find. The three pack are in new condition for $35.

User Info Menu

Old school still works!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Who sells an external muffler of a 28" diameter? I've never seen one before.
    Why would you want a 28" muffler?

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Why would you want a 28" muffler?
    man I almost P my pants, lol
    to much

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions, the Bass drum has an internal muffler but I don't like to use as it makes the drums pitch higher, I've cut a pillow in half and put it inside and that has helped, I might try felt strips next and see if that is better, I will use a compressor live and see how we go

User Info Menu

I put felt strip on batter side of my 26x8 bass drum. It focus's the attack but there is still a lot of internal sustain. But I have a light bulb inside to help keep the heads tight so I can't really put pillows inside. A few weeks ago I used it in concert in a park. There was no bass player so we miked it through a PA. Sounded huge!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I put felt strip on batter side of my 26x8 bass drum. It focus's the attack but there is still a lot of internal sustain. But I have a light bulb inside to help keep the heads tight so I can't really put pillows inside. A few weeks ago I used it in concert in a park. There was no bass player so we miked it through a PA. Sounded huge!

all the best...
    This is why I LOVE this place.......Kay-gee- I learn something new everytime I log on to DC. A light bulb.....what a terrific idea! The heat keeps the tension in the head.....that's a hot idea!

User Info Menu

If you want to shorten the sustain when miced up just have the sound man gate the signal through the PA. Most large type sound systems in clubs theaters etc. will have a compressor and gate to EQ the sound of drums and vocals. Then you can make it last as long or as short as you'd like it to be! That is a problem with those big boomy bass drums they look and sound cool but can be a bear to control!