Thread: When you first started?

User Info Menu

Default When you first started?

Did any of you say to yourselves when you first started playing, “I will never really be able to play the drums like that" after listening to a favorite song or favorite drummer?

I say that to myself from time to time but quickly snap out of it because I don't want to get discouraged and quit; I just keep practicing and practicing...... I was just wondering if any of you felt that way when you first started.

TIA

User Info Menu

I think everyone who starts any art form has that feeling. Because at first your artistic side be it music, art, whatever isnt developed... and you see someone who is and you're just wowed by it.

But rather than telling yourself you'll never be that good just say "man its gonna take awhile to work up to that" never put yourself out of the game, just set realistic goals until you get to that point. And no matter who you are, if you practice enough, and you want it enough you WILL achieve your goals, and soon enough you'll be at the level you wanna be at. It just takes time and the "want to" to learn is all, if you have the "want to" then you will be that good.

But dont let your skill discourage you, you'll get better as time goes on.

User Info Menu

You'll experience it throughout your life/career, not just when you start playing drums.

User Info Menu

I don't think that I'll never be able to play that good....at all, I just think "I can't play that because its on a level of which my drumming has not come to yet."

I think everything can be within everyone's reach if they just set short term goals (like drummer said to Dancehall Doctor in that one thread...go drummer!) and never lose hope that you will get better.

One thing I found to help with this, is try listening to a songsthat you used to think that were hard and crazy....and you'll find that they aren't so hard anymore.
    I listened to "Greedy Fly" by Bush recently, and it wasn't near as hard now as it was when I first listened to it.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Rather then tell myself I couldn't or wouldn't be able to do something I tell myself what an accomplishment it will be when I have done, or learned something.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Drummer chick, i don't have an intense explanation for that , but i did have that feeling, and every single band on my music list was better then me at drumming, but eventually i surpassed the bands with basic drumming in it. and im still not even close to as good as most of the music I hear, probably none as a matter of fact BUT i did get get better then the simple bands didn't I? so I know i am getting better, and with years of practice and dedication, i know i am going to get somewhere!
    (been drumming for about a year)

User Info Menu

that post made me ... A SENIOR!!!!

User Info Menu

I totally agree with Candlelight Chaos, for example, i thought Billy Talent was hard, but now they aren't all that hard to drum to.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lafirin, that's encouraging.........

I'm glad you're a senior now, you old f@rt LMAO!

User Info Menu

i didnt even know what a tom tom, hi hat, crash, double bass, or even who vic firth was when i said "dude i wanna learn to play drums" lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Lol!

User Info Menu

I guess I must be the odd man out.....whenever I listen to a great drummer, it gets me all jazzed up, and makes me want to get better. ::shrug::
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

No, I'm with you there BTG. Listening to complex drumming gets me psyched up to try to learn more about drumming and drums, and develop my techniques more.

There's no point in being discouraged by great drummers, they've been playing for a lot longer than you have and since most of them do it for a living, they probably have way more time to practice than you. It's all about what perspective you view them from.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Im kinda halfway. Good drumming does make me want to practice but it can also deflete me sometimes. Depens on my mood.

User Info Menu

Cool When you first started?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    I guess I must be the odd man out.....whenever I listen to a great drummer, it gets me all jazzed up, and makes me want to get better. ::shrug::
    No way, bro'! That makes two of us...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Sometimes I get pretty discouraged, because I see great drummers like Thomas Lang, and Neil Peart for example and they are just mind blowing and then I try and do a solo and I feel like I just suck something aweful.
    But then I step back, watch my videos and say Kevin you have come along way and you should be proud of yourself, and then I realize I have come a long way in my drumming, I am not a super flashy player, but I am confident that I can hold down a solid groove, and play a somewhat entertaining drum solo, and with continued practice, hard work and just pure determination I will get to the level I want to.

well I hope this helped you out.

User Info Menu

Thanks, you all are great. I always walk away from this forum feeling much more encouraged and ready to go.........

User Info Menu

I feel like that all the time, but that doesn't bother me at the moment. I'm having so much fun!... I know we'll get better with time (I'm 37, it's not like I'm 18), just have fun by now.

User Info Menu

Default patience

ive been playing for just over 3 years. at the start i couldnt hold the sticks properly. if you love it, you will practice it more than anything else you have ever practiced......well thats how it was with me and now i can play and play and play and mix it up etc.

one thing that my drum teacher told me at the start was that the great drummers "they only know how to do a few things in their own style, but the few things they know how to do they have mastered those things"

from everything i learn, there are a handful of things that i love doing and i am working on mastering those things for now. Coz when they are mastered you can expand those patterns to make them sound out of this world!!

PATIENCE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    ive been playing for just over 3 years. at the start i couldnt hold the sticks properly. if you love it, you will practice it more than anything else you have ever practiced......well thats how it was with me and now i can play and play and play and mix it up etc.

one thing that my drum teacher told me at the start was that the great drummers "they only know how to do a few things in their own style, but the few things they know how to do they have mastered those things"

from everything i learn, there are a handful of things that i love doing and i am working on mastering those things for now. Coz when they are mastered you can expand those patterns to make them sound out of this world!!

PATIENCE
    Thanks Livewire, these are the kinds of things I need to hear!

User Info Menu

lets see...im just learning. but ive been play for 4 months now and its sweet. i guess im good kinda cuz i keep getting asked to play for my youth group so i must me doing sumthin right lol