Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vents ?in/out?

User Info Menu

Default Vents ?in/out?

how many of u play with ur vents facing towards u or away from u?
    and how do you feel this affects the sound / tune ?

User Info Menu

Wow, I thought I'd heard it all. I've never, in 30 years, heard anyone ask that before ... LOL!

Well anyway...
    1. I have no idea
    2. I don't think it really matters.

Interesting question though. Now I'm going to spend way too much time contemplating it. Ha!

User Info Menu

For some unkown reason, I noticed while I was building my kit that all of my vents face in. Might be because I wanted all of the badges on my Pearls to face out.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Vents ?in/out?

Hey, 1DB, you're playin' so hot these days you need to have the vents facin' ya for ventilation!!!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have my kit set up so the DW badges are facing front...let the vents fall where they may, lol
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I think that's what most drummers do BTG. I know that's how I've always done it too.

User Info Menu

Actually, while we're on the subject.......any of you familiar with the May internal mic'ing system? It is a factory option on DW kits, but it can be used with any kit on the market.....it is self-explanatory......your drum mics are mounted INSIDE the drum, individually, and the mic' cable connects through the air vent.....I have always wondered how this would affect performance, after all, the vent is there for a reason.......any input?

Here, check it out....

http://www.dwdrums.com/may/

User Info Menu

i dunno, seems like a cool idea to me. you wouldnt have all those damn mics out in the open, it would make for a cleaner look, you'd only need a boom mic then and thats pretty much out of the way.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, the idea is great, I am kinda curious though, if it would "choke" the drum a bit because the vent is plugged.....?

User Info Menu

that and also there is an object inside the drum, do you think that would effect the sound too? i dunno it would be awesome to get a hold of one to test it.

User Info Menu

we need to find a rich drumchat forum member, make him go out, buy and test all this equipment we cant afford lol

User Info Menu

lol

User Info Menu

i have been cosidering internal mic'ing however i would use the holes where my original mounting hardware was before switching to rims mounts. they are currently covered by metal plates, so i would still be able to have my vents. (on the inside).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Actually, while we're on the subject.......any of you familiar with the May internal mic'ing system? ...mounted INSIDE the drum, individually, and the mic' cable connects through the air vent.....I have always wondered how this would affect performance, after all, the vent is there for a reason.......any input?

BTG, I have a May kick drum mic in one of my kits. Some of the top of the line kits have 2 port holes in each drum. I couldn't tell you which ones though. Anyone else know about this?

User Info Menu

Hmmm.......My DWs have one vent hole per drum (toms), although, they are the 1994 model...maybe they are putting 2 vents in their new kits, I really don't know....so, how do you like the May system? What are you using for a kick drum mic'?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Wow, I thought I'd heard it all. I've never, in 30 years, heard anyone ask that before ... LOL!

Well anyway...
    1. I have no idea
    2. I don't think it really matters.

Interesting question though. Now I'm going to spend way too much time contemplating it. Ha!
    Tom
    I kinda think of drums like speakers if you take a ported speaker and face the ports in to the corner of 2 walls its going to reflect the sound out to you the bass and lows any ways
    i turn the vents on my high toms out and the vents on my low toms in
    kinda like what a speaker would be
    plus with ur vents on the high toms out they dont buzz ur snare as much

in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vents ?in/out?

Out, plus I use Pearl Golden Ratio.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

I have never realy noticed it before. All I know all my badges face the audience so I guess the vents are on the oposite end which is at the back facing me. Most of my snares have the vent hole in the badge like Slingerland and Pearl Elite.

User Info Menu

*old thread alert*

I've never paid attention to my vents.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    *old thread alert*

I've never paid attention to my vents.
    Thanks for venting...

User Info Menu

why do they have vents? wouldnt they resonate more without them?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Try plugging a vent with your finger and listen to the difference. It sounds like a cool experiment..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Try plugging a vent with your finger and listen to the difference. It sounds like a cool experiment..
    Woulnt the drum like explode? the air would like, go crazy inside of it and blow the heads apart or something if there were no vents...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Woulnt the drum like explode? the air would like, go crazy inside of it and blow the heads apart or something if there were no vents...
    hehehehe
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG View Post
    I have my kit set up so the DW badges are facing front...let the vents fall where they may, lol
    +1 here

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY