Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vents ?in/out?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vents ?in/out?

My vents on the Starclassics are on the badges which vent towards,my audience(of 1 or 2 and maybe my shepard)
    i also agree that the drum would explode without them..... heres to those little vents

User Info Menu

No vents is something i've heard being done before, as I recall premier used to do it on older lines. I've never tried it myself, I imagine the sound result you would get would be slightly unfavorable- dampened, quieter, and less presence and "earth" to it's sound. It would lack intensity and wouldn't sound big enough, I think. You won't really notice anything plugging it with your finger though, as this is an external method and isn't a full method of hearing. I used to plug my vents internally with gum to reduce their projection, because of my practice space I wanted to be noise conscious for the neighbors. It still isn't quite as effective as a drum that never had those vents drilled to begin with, but it's the best you can do otherwise.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-06-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've blocked the vents before with my finger, and I can't hear a difference.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I prefer them out, I do notice the difference. Just me though.

User Info Menu

This is what I think about the vent holes. Back in the 50's-60'-70's when we had no reso heads on the drumkits they were easier to tune etc. Not sure when the vent holes came out but I am sure it had something to do with having reso heads and for you to be able to tune you needed vent holes to let some of the pressure out of the drums or they would sound dead. This is what I think and it makes sense.

User Info Menu

I have read that vent holes are mainly there to help a drum dissapate mosture and help compensate for differant atmospheric pressures. It makes since because I play at differant altitudes fairy regularly. I live at roughly 5600 feet above sea level and will play gigs at ski resorts in somewhere around 10,000 feet in altitude. I never have to drastically retune my drums at any of those changes in atmosphere. I would think that a drum sealed without a vent hole would also condensate without somewhere to dissapate the mosture in the air inside the drum. Has anyone without a vent hole experienced this? As far as them making any difference in the way a drum sounds, I would have to say it would be minimal at best
    Last edited by backtodrum; 02-07-2011 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Question Re: Vents ?in/out?

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I have read that vent holes are mainly there to help a drum dissapate mosture and help compensate for differant atmospheric pressures. It makes since because I play at differant altitudes fairy regularly. I live at roughly 5600 feet above sea level and will play gigs at ski resorts in somewhere around 10,000 feet in altitude. I never have to drastically retune my drums at any of those changes in atmosphere. I would think that a drum sealed without a vent hole would also condensate without somewhere to dissapate the mosture in the air inside the drum. Has anyone without a vent hole experienced this? As far as them making any difference in the way a drum sounds, I would have to say it would be minimal at best
    I tend to disagree with you. If there was moisture like you say they would drop on the bottom head and I can't see how that would dissapate the moisture through the vent hole because they are(vent holes) half way in the shell. This is why I mentioned 30-40 years ago there was no bottom heads or most drummers did not use them so the drum where very loud but where easier to tune with one head. To me putting vent holes in a double headed drum would release the pressure or the drums would sound dead with no resonance. This subject could be debatable with the rest of the forum.

User Info Menu

For one thing, moisture would only need a drain at the bottom (as opposed to an air vent) if it were in liquid form. I think the point was that moist air in a sealed air-tight container would condense with changes in temperature and elevation. Also, without the vent, a drum tuned at sea level then played at altitude would have and extremely high relative pressure in the thinner outside air. It might be like playing on an over-inflated beach ball. Conversly, from high to low would cause the outward pressure to press into the heads and the less dense air pressure inside. I imagine that under extreme conditiions such as high altitude flight in a non pressurized cabin, a drum could be damaged due to the relative pressure.

User Info Menu

Drums with two drumheads have an opening port on the side. When a drum is hit, the air inside that drum must be able to escape in order to allow the head and shell to resonate. Most drums have a single vent hole placed somewhere on the shell, usually in the center. Some makers use multiple venting holes, symmetrical venting lends the drum a more consistent rebound at various locations on the head. One maker places two diametrically opposed vent holes placed near the bottom edge, allowing the column of air to travel down and resonate the bottom head before exiting.

As you read there is no mention of anything to do with moisture in the drums etc. The holes are there to vent the air out so it can resonate.

User Info Menu

The Tama John Blackwell snare has three vents that you can close or open and that's meant to change the sound drastically, but I've never had any experience with it.
    Also, Tama sometimes has maple vents instead of metal and that's meant to "drastically increase resonance". Which is complete marketing crap if I ever heard it, lol.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    The Tama John Blackwell snare has three vents that you can close or open and that's meant to change the sound drastically, but I've never had any experience with it.
    Also, Tama sometimes has maple vents instead of metal and that's meant to "drastically increase resonance". Which is complete marketing crap if I ever heard it, lol.
    Wow, I'd love to test it. I've never heard of vents that you can open and close.

User Info Menu

On the subject of vents, I vaguely recall reading that the purpose of the vent holes was to help the drums better endure temperature and pressure shifts. The huge vents on some of the OCDP snares in the 90s/early 00s made for a drier sound IIRC.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Vents ?in/out?

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    A piece of tape or paper over the vent hole would do the same thing but why LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Wow, I'd love to test it. I've never heard of vents that you can open and close.
    DW has this thing that you can open and close to suit your tastes. I have no idea what it sounds like though.

User Info Menu

My Risen drums do not have traditional vent holes....there are very tiny (Maybe 1mm) holes under each lug and they sound fine.

The only vent hole I ever paid attention to was on my DW floor tom....every time I hit the drum, there would be a burst of air that hit my leg....bothered me, so I turned the drum so it didn't hit me anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    DW has this thing that you can open and close to suit your tastes. I have no idea what it sounds like though.

is it just my eyes? the shell looks really thin. 4ply? cool drum, if it sounds like crap maybe it could be used as a barbecue instead
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    is it just my eyes? the shell looks really thin. 4ply? cool drum, if it sounds like crap maybe it could be used as a barbecue instead
    ...would be an expensive barbecue

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Vents ?in/out?

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ...would be an expensive barbecue
    That's funny good answer

User Info Menu

the vent hole plays a huge part in how your drums sound. without it air could not escape from the drum . making it almost impossable to tune ,, just try it , plug up the vent in your drum , make it airtight ,then hit it ,, you will be suprized how much difference it makes.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

FYI: my '63 Slingys all have vents.
    Every tom with a "Pearl" style mount (at least before the 90's) had a drilled hole for the mount tube arms-a big vent if there ever was one! Air could travel thru and leak around the tubes and out to interior of the kick. So if those had normal vents they would be "double vented" in this way. Thinking about those makes you wonder if the kick then forced air up the same tube arms? How much air leaked up and around those from the kick's tom mount holes?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Vents make easier tuning and better feel.

User Info Menu

The thing is, traditionally, the vent is where the maker put his identification badge affixed with a grommet. So for me...Vents out!

all the best...

User Info Menu

really quick does the placement of the vent matter or make a difference? Usually they are in the middle but on Ludwig's Keystone's they are at the top of the drums. It kinda seems like it would make a difference.

Air escaping faster out of a drum with a vent at the top
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Reviving this thread...I just checked my kit and see that there are no vents in my kit! The kick has a 5" porthole in the reso head...but that doesn't count as a vent.

Weird...
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

All my vent's are facing toward me in order to keep me cool.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash