Thread: Mics for Live Multi-Percussion Set-Up?

User Info Menu

Default Mics for Live Multi-Percussion Set-Up?

I play a multi-percussion set-up in a large church (1,500-seat sanctuary). My rig is three congas, bongos, timbales, and a toy section. I currently use SM-57s on the congas and bongos and am looking for ideas to mic the toy table and timbales. (I need just a little bit of sound reinforcement on the timbales as they are already quite loud.) The toy table consists of chimes, triangles, goat hooves, and other effects. I also play the tambourine, shekere, and shakers. Any ideas for micing the timbales and toy table? Should I go with a condenser mic or stay with the tried-and-true 57? How about adding an overhead or two to pick up the cymbals and other high-end stuff? I'd love to hear how other percussionists mic their rigs. I'm basically unlimited in the number of inputs I can take up (within reason).

---------------------
    Advertisement

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mics for Live Multi-Percussion Set-Up?

Quote Originally Posted by congahead65 View Post
    I play a multi-percussion set-up in a large church (1,500-seat sanctuary). My rig is three congas, bongos, timbales, and a toy section. I currently use SM-57s on the congas and bongos and am looking for ideas to mic the toy table and timbales. (I need just a little bit of sound reinforcement on the timbales as they are already quite loud.) The toy table consists of chimes, triangles, goat hooves, and other effects. I also play the tambourine, shekere, and shakers. Any ideas for micing the timbales and toy table? Should I go with a condenser mic or stay with the tried-and-true 57? How about adding an overhead or two to pick up the cymbals and other high-end stuff? I'd love to hear how other percussionists mic their rigs. I'm basically unlimited in the number of inputs I can take up (within reason).
    How about building the church bigger???? God is good !!!

User Info Menu

a 57 is a great all around mic.. i'd stay with them.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Overhead condensers! Stereo or Left Middle Right depending on how wide your setup is.

User Info Menu

I would stay away from a 57 for the toy table. Use a 1 or 2 condensors. if using 2 mics consider an XY setup. I would also rolloff the bass--typically a 80Hz rolloff. a good cheap choice would be pair of C2s a better choice would be AKG C1000s. hope this helps

User Info Menu

I have almost exactly the same situation as you. 3 congas, bongos, djembe, toy table, tamb, shakers, chimes etc.. I mic each conga like you (Audix i5's). Becase the drums are behind me and we have monitors everywhere blarring into my mics, I try to close mic the to help with feedback. When using shakers, tamb, or anything hand-held, I just flip one or two mic up from the congas (unless I'm playing both at the same time..then I will flip just one up) I do have one i5 over the bongos, that I will use for cymbols too. It would be great to have a condensor / overhead, but for me I can't seem to get around all the feedback issues.. Our stage is so stupidly loud.. But I have it working OK now. BTW.. I have my own mixer/board.. then just go to the main board.. I like the control. The mics are not close mic'd in the photos.. but they are now.. plus I added the attached the bongos to the bongo/cajon.

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/y...as/Noe1016.jpg
    http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/y...as/Noe1014.jpg
    Last edited by jdl1881; 04-24-2010 at 10:56 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a very similar setup except I use Audix F10s on conga and quinto and an Audix F12 on Tumba all into a Yamaha MW12C with compression on each channel. I use OnStage clip-on mic holders which allow for much closer micing than the Claw. I used to have an AKG1000 over the bongos that I played shaker type stuff into.

User Info Menu

one solution you might want to try is using a isolating mic baffle. These are mic stand mountable. the mic sits in the middle of baffle. One commercial product is SE Electronics REFLEXTION FILTER. You could probable make one for far less money.
    Last edited by bongobill; 04-24-2010 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies. Here's what I ended up with (at least until I change it yet again):

Quinto - SM57
    Conga - SM57
    Tumba - SM57
    Bongos - SM57
    Toy Table - AKG C1000, mounted above and pointing down toward the toys
    I also have another SM57 mounted on a boom that is pointed toward my timbales, cowbells, blocks, mounted tambourine array. I also play shakers, caxixis, cabasa, etc. toward this. It is gained just a little bit as the timbales require little sound reinforcement anyway.
    Last edited by congahead65; 05-15-2010 at 11:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Don't think you can do any better than what you are doing. Great set up!

User Info Menu

sounds like a good setup. What kind of mic stands or clips are you using
    Last edited by bongobill; 05-15-2010 at 09:42 PM.

User Info Menu

On the congas, I use the LP Z-Rod with the LP Mic Lug.

On the bongos, I use the LP Z-Rod with the LP Mic Claw.

On the toy table, I mount the AKGC1000 on the top bar with the Gibraltar SC-GMQC Microphone Quick Set Clamp Arm.

On the timbales/bells/blocks, I mount the AKGC1000 (switched from the SM57) on a standard mic boom set on the floor.