Thread: Plexiglass Drums

User Info Menu

Default Plexiglass Drums

I had asked a question of plexiglass drums in another thread about having your drums set up or stored in harsh conditions like attics or garages, and how heat can ruin wood shells. Apparently the topic has rolled off the board and I never did get any response to the questions. I can't say I was ever really very impressed with the sound of plixy shells that were popular back in the 70's to me you can't beat the sound of a good solid wood shell. I am now looking to get another kit, they will be used and stored on a second floor of my shop that is not insulated, I live in the northeast and up on that second floor temps can get up over 100 in summer and below freezing in winter. From reading what others were saying conditions like this will eventually ruin a wood shelled drum. My question was for such harsh conditions would I be better of with plexyglass shell drums? I looked over on ebay and local crags list but see none listed, are they getting rare and is the value of them going up, are their and drum manufacturers still making them? Thanks for any input.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Plexiglass Drums

I have no experience with acrylic drums, but I would think those temp changes have the potential to do some damage, maybe not as much as with wood shells though. How big is the space? is it out of the question to insulate it?
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

You can still buy them new Tama, Ludwig, Sonor, all still make them I know. They don't sound bad they are louder than wood shelled drums and just not as warm. But they would work well for what you are trying to accomplish. Tempus makes fibre glass drums that sound really good so I am told and the build quality is outstanding. Another thing to consider is buying a really inexpensive set to practise on and sacrifice it to the conditions. Just buy quality stands and cymbals and put the best heads that you can on the kit and play away.

User Info Menu

I know a guy that bought a set of Ludwigs in the late 70's and they sounded great.

The extreme temp variation is definately not good for the wood but I think the acrylics would be fine. The only major trouble you would suffer is the constant out of tune that would occur with temp change and possibly your hardware starting to corrode after time.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

as stated the plastic route would be best for you. the temps will put it out of tune but other than that your fine. otherwise that plumbing they they put in my house will all go bad as well.

User Info Menu

I went to the Tempus site and clicked on every US dealer they have listed but not one of them had any info or mention of Tempus. I then googles Plexiglass drums and got alot of plexiglass drum shields (isolation walls) and some forum chitchat about plexiglass drums, only one dealer that showed a Ludig set but it was a call for pricing deal. I was just trying to find some online pricing to get an idea of what I would be looking at on prices. Anyone got any links on dealers that offer them any brand with prices? Now that I think about it I can see where tuning would be a problem, with the tension on the heads, the heat would probably make the head stretch.
    Last edited by bustoff; 04-22-2010 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

You need to be searching for "acrylic drums" rather than "plexiglass drums"
    Pearl Vision VX - Red Wine w/ Black Hardware
    Kick: 22x18 - Stock Skins
    Toms: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16 - Stock Skins
    Snare: 14x5.5 SensiTone - Stock Skins

Cymbals:
    Paiste PST5 14" Medium Hats
    Paiste PST5 16" Medium Crash
    Paiste PST5 20" Medium Ride

Hardware:
    DW5000 HiHat Stand
    PDP E400 Bass Pedal
    PDP 700 Boom Stand
    Random no-name Single Brace Cymbal Stand
    Pearl Heavy Duty Snare Stand

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^ good point!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Ahh thanks drnez

User Info Menu

And be prepared to spend some big $$$$ for one.
    Pearl Vision VX - Red Wine w/ Black Hardware
    Kick: 22x18 - Stock Skins
    Toms: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16 - Stock Skins
    Snare: 14x5.5 SensiTone - Stock Skins

Cymbals:
    Paiste PST5 14" Medium Hats
    Paiste PST5 16" Medium Crash
    Paiste PST5 20" Medium Ride

Hardware:
    DW5000 HiHat Stand
    PDP E400 Bass Pedal
    PDP 700 Boom Stand