Thread: A question that's probably been asked before...

User Info Menu

Default A question that's probably been asked before...

Hey all, me again, still spending money on drums.

The time has come to change out the batter heads on my 3 toms and snare. I'm not new to drumming but am relatively new to acoustic drums.

Since this is my first time switchin out heads, I need some professional advice...

I play Rock, Alternative, Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, Metal, and Punk. I'm really looking for heads that are extremely muffled (don't want to spend the $ on hydraulic heads), low tuned, and durable.

Not that anyone cares but I'll prefer to order them from musicians friend. Thanks in advance.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A question that's probably been asked before...

evans hydraulic are not that expensive, only maybe onther $1 per head. theres also the onyx heads by evans.

from evans site:
    Onyx 2-ply for @ $61
    Sound: dark and focused, with a punchy attack that's well suited to aggressive playing styles

Hydraulic Glass, Blue, & Black for @ $46
    Sound: fat and deep with a short sustain; cures tuning inconsistencies on less expensive or damaged drums

the prices are for a 12", 13" and 16"
    Last edited by bloodylipp; 04-23-2010 at 08:49 PM.

User Info Menu

remo pinstripes would be perfect
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Right now I'm looking at Remo Clear Pinstripes for the toms and a Remo Weather King Coated Ambassador for the snare. How do those sound?
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Clear Pinstripes for attack + muffled sound. 1 ply heads like Clear G1's or Clear Ambassadors for the resonant side. Otherwise you could get some Evans G2's or Remo Emperors over Evans G1's or Remo Ambassadors, and muffle using moongel.

For the snare I would recommend something like an Emperor X or a Power Center Reverse Dot. For the resonant side perhaps a Hazy 300.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Right now I'm looking at Remo Clear Pinstripes for the toms and a Remo Weather King Coated Ambassador for the snare. How do those sound?
    thats exactly what i use ,, they work greatfor me. good luck
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

If you want REALLY REALLY muffled heads, you need Aquarian Performance II, They're as dead as any head can be
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martinez12 View Post
    If you want REALLY REALLY muffled heads, you need Aquarian Performance II, They're as dead as any head can be
    And if you want them slightly more muffled get performance II with the power dot. They are also made to be tuned really low (REALLY low).

They also make coated pinstripes now. If you want a snare head a little more tame than the ambassador go with a powerstroke 3.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martinez12 View Post
    Those look good. Thanks for the advice. I think I might prefer those over the Pinstripes. Cheaper too.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

User Info Menu

Get some Evans EC2's, then throw some Evans e-Rings on 'em, and then a few pieces of Moongel. Doesn't get more "extremely muffled" than that.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

toms-
    evans hydraulics

snare
    remo powerstroke 3

sounds a bit 70's but you cant beat that fatt thick tom sound, if you are worried about tuning then i would suggest to take the kit into the store and get them to put the heads on

don't forget to have a squiz at the bearing edges whilst you have the heads off

btw what kick head are you using ?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered AQUARIAN PERFORMANCE II's for the toms and an Aquarian Hi-Velocity for the snare. I have a stock kick head itchie.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

User Info Menu

Sounds like you did your homework....good luck on the tuning.

User Info Menu

Thanks Late.

-SP Hardware
    -PST5 Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    toms-
    evans hydraulics

don't forget to have a squiz at the bearing edges whilst you have the heads off
    ...OK, I know I'm gettin' old: what is a squiz?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/