Thread: Dumbest question about cymbals...

User Info Menu

Default What is the difference between cymbals?

Had to ask because I am curious and have very little experience with real cymbals since I've been playing my electronic DTXplorer due to living in an apartment.

The question: What difference is a entry level/beginner set of cymbals (ZBT's PST3's etc.) compared to some of the higher ends? Material? Sound? I'm confused how a cymbal could be for a beginner when they all look the same and sound much the same. Can you correct this man's stupid question? Thanks! haha

-Ben
    Last edited by YamahaDTX; 04-25-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Yamaha DTXplorer.
    YAMAHA-VIC FIRTH-AGAZARIAN-SOUND PERCUSSION

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dumbest question about cymbals...

First off, this is not a stupid question. Cymbals can be hard to understand, even when you have been around them for a while. As you already stated, the main differences between beginner and pro cymbals are sound and material (And Cost).

Beginner cymbals are made either of brass or b8. They are typically sheet cymbals, which means that the manufacturer cuts them out of a big sheet, much like a cookie cutter cuts out cookie dough. Pro cymbals are typically cast b20 bronze, which means they are made per cymbal disc, not on a giant sheet. There are some pro cymbals out there that do use b8 bronze, such as the APX line by Sabian, and many offerings by Paiste. Pro cymbals also may be hand hammered, which gives them a unique sound. Typically no 2 pro cymbals will sound exactly alike, where as beginner cymbals typically will sound more similar to each other. B8 bronze is not inferior in anyway, it is just a slightly brighter, and higher pitched bronze offering. It cuts very well, but may not be the right sound for you.

Many people find b20 bronze to be more musical and to feel less rigid than b8 bronze. Some companies even have a sort of hybrid of these two formulas, such as Zildjians ZHT line, which uses B12 bronze.

At the end of the day, however, what really matters is the sound you hear from your ears. If you like the sound of b8 cymbals which some people do, stick with them. If you like the sound of a Sabian HHX or Zildjian A custom, go for them. There is no "right", or "wrong" choice when it comes to cymbals. Whatever fits your ears and style of music is the best choice.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Thank you so much. This has been so helpful. I really appreiciate it rabidpenguin45. I learned something today. Very interesting!
    Yamaha DTXplorer.
    YAMAHA-VIC FIRTH-AGAZARIAN-SOUND PERCUSSION

User Info Menu

Worth mentioning there are plenty of national level musicians who could use any cymbals they want, but choose things like B8's. Let your ears guide you, not what everyone else tells you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Worth mentioning there are plenty of national level musicians who could use any cymbals they want, but choose things like B8's. Let your ears guide you, not what everyone else tells you.
    Well put!

User Info Menu

I was wondering the same thing awhile back. Now i have a decent set of ZBT's (8in, 14's, 16in, 18in, and 20in.) I'm convincing myself i dont need to upgrade, because i like the sound of them. Play whatever fits your taste!

- ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

True, I used a set of ZBT's for five years before I felt the need to upgrade. F/T

Larrysperf Guest

Ditto to all the above

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Ditto to all the above
    +1

- Zack

dave0549jv Guest

Plus I think zbt and b8s tend to be sturdier than b20 cymbals. So if you're just starting out, and don't have technique quite down yet, they'll be a bit more forgiving.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    Plus I think zbt and b8s tend to be sturdier than b20 cymbals. So if you're just starting out, and don't have technique quite down yet, they'll be a bit more forgiving.
    Agreed. I hit pretty hard, so I taught myself the correct technique pretty quickly, and I've noticed that my b8 med-thin crash is still in very nice condition.
    Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

User Info Menu

Just keep away from Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals. Once your ears experience those, you start to develop allergies to other cymbals.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^