Thread: Lug to Shell Tightness

User Info Menu

Default Lug to Shell Tightness

I played my kit without hearing protection for this first time in awhile yesterday and I noticed a rattling buzz in my floor tom. I couldn't pinpoint the source, but figured something was loose. I removed the batter head and tightened each lug mounting screw and the tom leg mounting bracket screws. To my surprise each and every one had significant room to be tightened.

I tightened everything down with about as much torque as I felt safe without stripping anything. My rattle is gone, but I wonder should I have cinched everything up so tight? The kit is only a couple of months old so I'm thinking they come from the factory with little tightening torque on the screws. Is it OK to ratchet the screws tightly or do the lugs need a little room to breath on the shell?

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Lug to Shell Tightness

Put a Ratchet on those and you are begging for trouble. They are small screws, chances are the screw bosses arent all that big either. A tad bit past hand tight is plenty good.

User Info Menu

Thank you PM. Sounds about how I left them. Pretty tight with Phillips head by hand.

User Info Menu

Figuring that your kit probably came over on a freightliner ship..and spent a great deal of time in transit..its no wonder that things loosen up.
    As a rule of thumb with a new kit or at head change time, I bust out the stubby philps screwdriver and snug up lug / bracket / receiver mount screws.

that can be maddening finding the source of the rattle and buzz,

User Info Menu

I agree with Ploughman, they don't really need to be all that tight and if you break a screw off they can be a real pain to get out and it can easily ruin the lug. Also if it is a wrapped kit over tightening the lugs can distort the wrap.

User Info Menu

Yep, break out the stubby philips every time you change heads. I actually had the head of a screw broke off of a lug holder on my 10" tom when they first arrived. Sigler sent me out a replacement that came in 2 days.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Yep, break out the stubby philips every time you change heads. I actually had the head of a screw broke off of a lug holder on my 10" tom when they first arrived. Sigler sent me out a replacement that came in 2 days.

User Info Menu

blue loctite
    MAPEX MAFIA

ThePloughman Guest

Is blue the permanent stuff?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Is blue the permanent stuff?
    yes, red is semi permanent!

ThePloughman Guest

Permenant wouldnt be a good idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Permenant wouldnt be a good idea.
    agreed +1

User Info Menu

When checking the screws inside the drums I use a small electric shop screwdriver with torque settings. This way once the torque is set you can go around all the screw in a jiff without over tightening and damaging anything.

User Info Menu

First thing I do when I get new drums (new new or new used) is check all the fittings for snugness. I also recheck during head changes. I have found loose screws (to a degree) on almost every drum. Kick drum leg mounts, lug casings, etc. If you plan on doing any studio work, it can be a good time to go ahead and strip off the hardware, check for any worn inserts (especially the little black rubber gaskets, for lack of a better and/or more accurate term). Then pack the casings with muffling (cotton or??). It shouldn't have any negative effect on your gear and might save you from hunting for that evasive rattle that can only be heard during playback. Also, lube your rods (judiciously so as not to get lube on the outside of your drums to attract dirt and grime). Be aware however that while making the tension rod turning more fluid will assist in tuning, you also need to watch for those rods backing out and detuning your drum over time when playing...unless you play SONOR!

User Info Menu

Buddy Holley had a problem........ The end result was crickets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Buddy Holley had a problem........ The end result was crickets.
    Thats a good one but its Holly

User Info Menu

When tightening the screws on the inside, be careful not to tighten them too much. If so, you run the risk of cracking the inner ply right around the lug, or leg bracket if it is a floor tom.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I played my kit without hearing protection for this first time in awhile yesterday and I noticed a rattling buzz in my floor tom. I couldn't pinpoint the source, but figured something was loose. I removed the batter head and tightened each lug mounting screw and the tom leg mounting bracket screws. To my surprise each and every one had significant room to be tightened.

I tightened everything down with about as much torque as I felt safe without stripping anything. My rattle is gone, but I wonder should I have cinched everything up so tight? The kit is only a couple of months old so I'm thinking they come from the factory with little tightening torque on the screws. Is it OK to ratchet the screws tightly or do the lugs need a little room to breath on the shell?
    The process of assembly may be the culprit, often i see drumsets & Latin drums that are new yet need to be hand tightened before use to insure hardwares do not shift & scratch the shells or parts end up comming loose durring performance. BUT do not use automotive tools...just hand tools are adequate for hand torque sufficient to lock the position of parts. In all cases....the tunning systems of our drums were designed durring the days of Calf skin heads or thinner rawhides in the case of congas / bongos etc. Now we use higher tensioned plastic heads & thicker skins / hides and the shells, rims etc are sometimes ill suited. In the old days, rims were flexible to allow fine tunning of the skins & things warped out of shape. When new skins were mounted, new rims were as well. Now...new heads requiure perfect rims to function as the head was designed for. It is important to keep an eye on all the fundamental parts & functions of drum hardwares since they work in tandem w/ each other. Learn to fine tune your drums...keep them clean & not banging into things etc...be experimental w/ head weights & types. " Care & Feeding of Drums !