Thread: Converting Bass Drum to ??

User Info Menu

Default Converting Bass Drum to ??

I want to be able to convert my 18" kick temporarily (as in able to go back and forth) into a de facto gong bass drum, but mounted more like a true floor tom rather than on a gong-like stand. Value is the key here. So here are my thoughts so far based on some research and suggestions.

Pearl makes a product for their Brazilian drums that converts a drum between tom and kick (PBS 30BD). One of the features are clamp on FT legs that grip the tension rods.

Another option is to pivot the spurs at a 90 degree angle straght out from the reso head (I think I would have to reverse them though, if the bolt pattern is the same because they won't extend straight out currently). Then use a Pearl style tom mount set in the tom mount hole to use it as a third leg. My fear is that the spurs are only so long and the drum would be too low. There are ways around this though.

My real delimma is how to mount an oversized head without new lugs.

DW uses spacers to move the lugs out from the shell.

This is a Pork Pie (not a production piece though) that uses killer hinged rods that clamp right to the head. THESE would be the preferred choice...if I knew where in the heck to find them (Pork Pie doesn't know). On closer inspection, the hinge may be part of a special lug instead of inserted into the standard casing...

TAMA uses angled lugs that are specially designed for their gongs. Others seem to be satisfied with the standard head size.

Thoughts, suggestions? Am I nuts?
    Last edited by xsabers; 04-27-2010 at 03:17 PM.