Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drummers least able to replace

User Info Menu

Default Drummers least able to replace

What drummer do you think meant or means the most to their band. With that I mean what drummers style made their band that much better. My vote is for Mick Fleetwood. Mick does'nt do anything that makes you say " wow! how on earth did he do that ! " But his smooth style & tasteful licks, to me, are just amazing. Whenever I listen to " Rhianon" I listen in amazemant & think " how did he come up with that for this song". You will never hear Mick overplay a song. If anything he often underplays a bit & adds tasteful dynamics that make a song his. So I'm interested to hear what drummers you feel fall into this category.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers least able to replace

Neil, hands down. Just the lyrics alone...

User Info Menu

id say Stewert Copeland,,, the police would have been nothing without him
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

jimmy THE REV sullivan

absolutely irreplaceable. apparently mike portnoy is playing for him on A7X' new album, but i dont think it will be the same. we will see. i guess sullivan had all his material written before he died, so mike portnoy will be able to just play it. there will be a huge difference, of course. no one could replace bonham, either.
    both these guys had really unique qualities. bonham is famous for his groove, sullivan just for unique stuff he put into his music.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

I would say Neil Peart as well1

User Info Menu

Dom Howard From muse
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Neil Peart (Rush), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Ian Paice (Deep Purple), Danny Carey (Tool).
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by butter View Post
    jimmy THE REV sullivan

absolutely irreplaceable. apparently mike portnoy is playing for him on A7X' new album, but i dont think it will be the same. we will see. i guess sullivan had all his material written before he died, so mike portnoy will be able to just play it. there will be a huge difference, of course. no one could replace bonham, either.
    both these guys had really unique qualities. bonham is famous for his groove, sullivan just for unique stuff he put into his music.
    AMEN!!!

One of the best I've ever heard. Can't believe he passed away.

Slipknot would be crap without Joey Jordison (even though I don't really like his style). Same with my favorite band, Emery (can't remember the drummer's name).
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

and ya sure cant leave Ringo out of this thread, he was the perfect drummer for the Beatles.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Great thread idea!

Carter Beauford. Even though I'm not a big DMB fan, he makes Dave Mathew's sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    id say Stewert Copeland,,, the police would have been nothing without him
    Definitely! And one of the best examples of this.

User Info Menu

i totally agree about emery. the drummers name is dave powell, i think.

User Info Menu

Tommy Lee, as great as Randy Castillo was, Tommy's style and attitude is critical to Motley Crue.

User Info Menu

The other is Phil Rudd ACDC. Those were some mighty lean years songwise when he was gone.

User Info Menu

Dave Weckl because without him the Dave Weckl Band would be called Band.

User Info Menu

Mitch Mitchell I think so many people don't realize how great he was behind Hendrix but he added so much to the songs they just wouldn't be as good without him backing it up

User Info Menu

definitely mitch mitchell! he brings to mind michael shrieve. im surprised nobody has mentioned buddy rich... im not really a huge fan, but hes one of the most influential drummers there ever has been.

also, as ironic as it is, def leppard wouldnt be the same if they had ditched rick allen. he may be missing an arm, but he cant be replaced all the same.

User Info Menu

Carter B and Danny C are the drummers for their bands, no other. Tool and DMB rock!
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Keith Moon, John Bonham, Danny Carey, Neil Peart, Carter Beauford, Stewart Copeland Mitch Mitchell.

User Info Menu

Chad Smith (RHCP), Stanton Moore (Galactic), Tomas Haake (Meshuggah), Lars Ulrich (Metallica), George Kollias (Nile).

Those bands would be really weird without their drummers.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

IMHO, none is irreplaceable but it wouldn't certainly sound & feel the same.

It happened in many bands where a great musician whatever instrument he's playing passed away or quitted for another project etc... The best example is Metallica bassist Cliff Burton, after his death in a terrible bus accident, he was replaced by Jason Newsted, Metallica were still Metallica but it didn't sound as the original and feel the original and yet they never really recovered from that night of september 1986 .

To me one drummer that if replaced, the band wouldn't sound the same and would probably never be the same is Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    IMHO, none is irreplaceable but it wouldn't certainly sound & feel the same.

It happened in many bands where a great musician whatever instrument he's playing passed away or quitted for another project etc... The best example is Metallica bassist Cliff Burton, after his death in a terrible bus accident, he was replaced by Jason Newsted, Metallica were still Metallica but it didn't sound as the original and feel the original and yet they never really recovered from that night of september 1986 .

To me one drummer that if replaced, the band wouldn't sound the same and would probably never be the same is Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden.
    I think without Tomas Haake, Meshuggah would have to disband. Who else can play like him apart from Akira Jimbo lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Keith Moon, I know he has been replaced but they arn't nearly as good without him, Keith Moon is the perfect fit for that band. +1 to bonham, mitchell, and copeland.

User Info Menu

John Bonham FOR LED ZEP FOR SURE

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

animal is irreplaceable =]
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''