Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bearing edge uneven

User Info Menu

Default bearing edge uneven

the bearing edge on the batter side of my snare is uneven. when laid on a glass top, it has a 1/32" to a 1/16" gap in an area on one side. does it need to be perfect? the drum is new. is this an acceptable flaw or should i return it. i'm a beginner, and don't know what to do? thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: bearing edge uneven

hello james welcome to drumchat

you would be amazed how much difference a balanced baring edge can make

here
    is a link to a thread I posted a while back showing the transformation of my baring edge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by james05 View Post
    the bearing edge on the batter side of my snare is uneven. when laid on a glass top, it has a 1/32" to a 1/16" gap in an area on one side. does it need to be perfect? the drum is new. is this an acceptable flaw or should i return it. i'm a beginner, and don't know what to do? thanks
    I would use something different than a glass top to check your edges. Glass is not very flat. Not to say that the edge isn't uneven, just that the glass top could make it look worse than it actually is.

User Info Menu

I would think an edge that far out would make a difference in the way the head would seat and sound. I would have them checked, and I disagree about the glass. It would be plenty flat enough to check a bearing edge. Darken a room place a Flash light in the drum and check for light between the glass surface and the bearing edge that way you can get a good visual as to how far off it is. Then you can decide if it needs to be recut or sent back for warrenty etc.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat James!

If this is a new snare, I would take it back and make them aware of the problem. The bearing edge on the batter side should be better than what you described. It is always possible that something got past quality control, and that should not be your problem.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

whoops i didn't realise this was a new snare

it might help if we knew who the drum maker was?

User Info Menu

Stick with your gut. Something told you to check the bearing edge. Stick with it and return the drum. You will NEVER get any head to tune up properly with this type of valley in your bearing edge. Its impossible for this drum to sound good when it will never ever seat evenly. It will be a constant tug of war on the head, shifting from one side to the other trying to get rid of that low spot or valley. A glass table is definitely flat enough to determine a valley of this size. TAKE BACK THE DRUM...

User Info Menu

thanks for the responses. i'm taking it back to the store then.
    i've had a terrible time trying to tune it. its a mapex meridian. i changed to a ec2 reverse dot to help with overtones. even with that and a muffler ring, the overtones are bad. this is what caused me to check the bearing edge

User Info Menu

companies dont care. they have a theory and sell based upon theory and NOT about craftsman ship. A true drum should be flattened, then put on a shaper for the inside and outside profile to be cut. Then back to the table to flatten again and back to the shaper to cut the inner and outer profiles. Then the drum should be very close to perfect. Last is the filing that is done to bring the inside edge up to the outside edge. This is done with a hand file to make up for the imperfect thickness of the drum shell. No drum shell is exactly consistent in thickness throughout the drum. It is humanly impossible unless the drum is cut from a large lathe machine. NO companies are taking the time to do this at all. SO, good luck finding a perfect drum set. My suggestion is send your kit to MCD percussion in Philly. They have one the sound olympics 3 years straight in tone and tuning. There is a reason why their drums sound INCREDIBLE.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

roll your eyes all you want mr know it all. Dont you have some tough " beach boy " songs to play.

User Info Menu

Feel the love- what a great place this has evolved into......

User Info Menu

update: mapex told dealer to send it back to them, they'd take care of it. should have a snare in about a week

User Info Menu

i've had my drums at home the last couple weeks to shine them up ,, so after reading this post decided to check my bearing edge's ... all are perfect except 1 floor tom , is out a little, its nothing that im going to worry about, dont know about other drum companies, but my tama's are good. maybe mapex and pearl dont check edges ,,but tama must, so im thinking that the statement that "no companies are doing this" must be wrong... tama does ,, Who ever heard of takinga brand new drumset to a company to fix the edges,, it should be taken care of by the company that made them . unless you have more money than brains....
    pardon me now ,, i have to go practice a few BEACH BOY SONGS !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

HAHAHA beach boy songs... HAHAHAHA thats some tough drumming let me tell ya. All I can say is I just got my drums back yesterday and WOW, WOW, WOW. New profile and impeccably prefect edges created by machine and by hand have me blown away. These Reference series drums were DEAD, sounded like total crap until now. !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    i've had my drums at home the last couple weeks to shine them up ,, so after reading this post decided to check my bearing edge's ... all are perfect except 1 floor tom , is out a little, its nothing that im going to worry about, dont know about other drum companies, but my tama's are good. maybe mapex and pearl dont check edges ,,but tama must, so im thinking that the statement that "no companies are doing this" must be wrong... tama does ,, Who ever heard of takinga brand new drumset to a company to fix the edges,, it should be taken care of by the company that made them . unless you have more money than brains....
    pardon me now ,, i have to go practice a few BEACH BOY SONGS !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree. Saying that "no companies care" is totally ridiculous. I went through all the drums on my Superstars when I first took them out of the boxes and took the heads off and checked out the bearing edges, all were pretty much perfect. Put them on the table and everything.
    Matt

Larrysperf Guest

I have played some pretty beat up drums that sounded pretty amazing . Also have played some bottom of the line drums with good heads that put some top drums to shame. I had my bearing edges done because I wanted round edges not because they were bad as they were perfect. Nuff said
    If you are happy with your drums then rock on. But dont put anyones drums down cause they havnt redone them. Nuff said oh I like the beach boys also

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    HAHAHA beach boy songs... HAHAHAHA thats some tough drumming let me tell ya. All I can say is I just got my drums back yesterday and WOW, WOW, WOW. New profile and impeccably prefect edges created by machine and by hand have me blown away. These Reference series drums were DEAD, sounded like total crap until now. !!!!!
    How much $$ per drum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by james05 View Post
    update: mapex told dealer to send it back to them, they'd take care of it. should have a snare in about a week
    What was that about companies not caring?

I've only ever heard great things about Mapex's customer service. They'll probably send you a free Tshirt and drum key to say they're sorry
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Guys let's just make sure that we don't make disagreements personal, because that can lead into flaming and we don't want to go there. If we disagree, let's just state why and keep it respectful. Thanks.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

good to hear you got a result

User Info Menu

HAHAHA beach boy songs... HAHAHAHA thats some tough drumming let me tell ya.
    I dunno their drummer sounds pretty good to me

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMA03UYs_9U"]YouTube- Hal Blaine - Topsy '65[/ame]

And before I hear about Dennis Wilson (who was also a decent drummer) Hal Blaine played on many of the Beach Boys big hits.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 05-13-2010 at 10:12 AM.

User Info Menu

yeah ,,the beach boys only have like 50 gold records, sparked a whole new type of music, and have been around longer than pretty much anybody ,,, what slackers ..
    Last edited by atomcorr2; 05-13-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

This is my favorite thread on Drumchat!

User Info Menu

Why are you a drummer if you don't respect your craft? There are good drums and bad drums, but we make the most out of what we have so we can play. The Beach Boys had some nice drumming going, so I wouldn't be too quick to judge a wildly successful group like that so easily.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments