Thread: foot technique

User Info Menu

Default foot technique

i just had a question im starting to pick up double bass now and dont know what technique I should use. I wanna learn heels down but i get to much strain in my muscles and cant play at all.so please tell what you guys think is best and how to do it.

User Info Menu

Try movin your stool.

User Info Menu

To me, if you have your pedals or your throne in the wrong place, it can affect your playing.
    So trying moving your stuff around, and maybe you'll get a better feel for you pedals.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

I try to play heel down, but there are some double bass parts where I end up heel up. If you can learn to play it and pull it off heel down I think you'll be better off down the road. You might have to adjust your stool til you find a comfort zone, maybe you need to be a little bit higher, and a bit closer.

Also, trying some calf stretches might be a good idea before you play. Point your big toe out and do some foot circles and some good calf stretches - might give you less cramping and less muscle straining.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

i'm not biased in this area, (I don't even have a double bass), but I have heard that most drummers use Heal up, because it gives them more power. And Dave Weckl said heal down is like saying, you cant use your arms at all just your wrist. but don't get me wrong!, Travis from Trivium uses heal down, and hes really fast with his feet.

User Info Menu

What is the reason you are wanting to use heal down? More power is achieved with heal up, specially in a double bass situation, to me it just seems like a lot of work for minimal to no benefit, just wondering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    What is the reason you are wanting to use heal down? More power is achieved with heal up, specially in a double bass situation, to me it just seems like a lot of work for minimal to no benefit, just wondering.

I found that when i practice technique, playing some rudiments on the pedals heel down is developing alot of control when i switch to heels up.

just a note...for control......try playing (some of you obviously already do this) heels down at a comfortable speed then switch to heels up keeping a constant smooth beat for about a minute than back down to heels down and so on.

this also has helped me heaps in gaining control on those pounding double kicks

User Info Menu

Keep working on it, if you keep playing heel down the strains will weaken and eventually just go away. Also do some leg exercises like stand on the edge of a step than stand on your tip toes for about 10 seconds and come back down for 10 seconds. Your legs will become stronger and the strains will go away, so you won't mess up.
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Default heel and toe

can anyone please explain the heel and toe technique or even post a link of a video. i think i got it but not too sure.

thanks

User Info Menu

Heel Toe
    Heel Toe 2

Tim Waterson (former holder of the World's Fastest Feet title) demonstrates the Heel Toe technique.

I still haven't quite mastered it, but I'm getting there slowly.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

thanks hb58 this will help alot

User Info Menu

Glad to be of assistance.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    Heel Toe
    Heel Toe 2

Tim Waterson (former holder of the World's Fastest Feet title) demonstrates the Heel Toe technique.

HB58
    That looks way difficult, for me at least. I don't think I could accomplish it with my PDP pedals.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

here is another explanation i stumbled accross. this guy makes it look really easy for both single and double pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc

User Info Menu

hmmmm. im a little confused with something here.

are the heel toe doubles kicks played as double stroke on the bass RRLLRRLLRRLL ?

or can heel toe be played single stroke RLRLRLR ? so heel down with one pedal R than toe with the other pedal L than heel down with L back to toe on the right?? i tried that and it feels ok but still awkward or should it just be played as a double stroke to make it most effective?

User Info Menu

Cool

Heel Toe
    Heel Toe 2

HB58
    What do you mean, "former"? To my knowledge he still is. Who is faster now?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Another technique is the foot slide. Most people use it to get the sound of double kick from a single kick pedal, but if someone could work it properly on double kick it would be amazing. I saw video of one guy using a version of the slide technique to hit 200BPM with one foot. There is definate potential there for someone to master.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    What do you mean, "former"? To my knowledge he still is. Who is faster now?
    I think Mike "Machine" Maningi (spelling?) is the current World's Fastest Feet record holder.

Another technique is the foot slide
    Is that foot slide thing the same as the swivel foot technique? If it is, then George Kollias from Nile is the master of that technique already.

EDIT: Just saw the video livewire posted - Damn good tutorial. I had it in about 5 seconds after watching that.

HB58
    Last edited by hellsbells58; 04-16-2007 at 04:12 AM.

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Would you give any tip on how to maintain balance when playing both feet at one time? In might be because of my belly, but I tend to fall forward, so I have to lean back considerably.

User Info Menu

Sit up straight, on your bum instead of your legs. Most people tend to sit on the whole stool and slouch forwards a little, which is why they get all off balance when they start to double kick.

Whereas if you sit on the bones of your butt, you should have no trouble in playing double kicks without getting off balance.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

thnks HB58

User Info Menu

Cool

I think Mike "Machine" Maningi (spelling?) is the current World's Fastest Feet record holder.
    Mike "Da Man" Mangini is the current World Record Holder for the fastest hands. However it turns out your were right, Tim did have to hand over his title to Mike "Machine" Mallais - 60 seconds single stroke 1,034 (onyl 4 more than Tim) - who conincdentally also took out Mike Mangini's two foot records with 5 minutes (4, 595) and 15 minutes (13,309) - both single stroke. Mike Mallais officially has the fastest feet in the world. Mangini still holds the records for fastest hands in both traditional grip, matchg rip and bare hands.

Is that foot slide thing the same as the swivel foot technique? If it is, then George Kollias from Nile is the master of that technique already.
    No, swivel foot is where you kind of turn your foot left to right as you do the action. The foot slide has you push down with your toe at about the half way mark, then catch the rebound at the top fo the pedal by quickly sliding your foot up. You then move your toe back down to the middle and repeat. Al

though, I think the dude I saw doing 200BPM with one foot might have been using a modified version of the swivel foot now that I look at it again.

Swivel Foot technqiue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMGqhYVwOJA
    Foot Slide Technique - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ayY...related&search=

Just a couple of videos to see the difference in the technqiues.