Thread: Can the Roland TD4 be upgraded?

User Info Menu

Default Can the Roland TD4 be upgraded?

Is it possible to upgrade a td4? By that I mean add more sounds, or pre-loaded songs.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can the Roland TD4 be upgraded?

Just checked and vexpressions only go from td20-td6
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Nope. Can't get more sounds. But you should be able to run your iPod into it if you want to play along to music.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Yea, I run my ipod thru it for the music, but I was wanting more drum sounds out of it. It is a good kit, just bored with it....now I just play my acoustics much to the dismay of my wife & daughter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrossPoint View Post
    Yea, I run my ipod thru it for the music, but I was wanting more drum sounds out of it. It is a good kit, just bored with it....now I just play my acoustics much to the dismay of my wife & daughter
    Time to upgrade your module to at least a TD-6 for the Vex kits.

User Info Menu

That's the funny thing about electronic kits. You get 25 kits in the TD4 and it can get boring after a while. Yet your acoustic is just the one kit and somehow never gets old. There's just nothing like sitting behind an acoustic set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    That's the funny thing about electronic kits. You get 25 kits in the TD4 and it can get boring after a while. Yet your acoustic is just the one kit and somehow never gets old. There's just nothing like sitting behind an acoustic set.
    Isn't that the truth!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    Time to upgrade your module to at least a TD-6 for the Vex kits.
    Is that possible? My td4 has like a wiring harness which just plugs in the back in one place, not indiviually.

User Info Menu

Is that possible? My td4 has like a wiring harness which just plugs in the back in one place, not indiviually.
    The TD4 only has the weirdo plug, but your triggers still have individual wires. So yeah, you could toss the TD4 in favor of another module if you really wanted to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    The TD4 only has the weirdo plug, but your triggers still have individual wires. So yeah, you could toss the TD4 in favor of another module if you really wanted to.
    Cool Thanks man!

User Info Menu

I think part of the issue with the TD-4 is that you can't tweak the kits to be quite as organic sounding as the other brains. I have one currently and I find I really only like 1 or 2 of the preloaded kits and the rest are just novelties. With the A-kits you can adjust the tuning, change heads, play around with damping etc These are things you can program into the TD-12 and TD-20 to get a kit you really love the sound of, but the TD-4 is at it's heart a stripped down bare bones brain with limited editing abilities. You might find a bit more happiness using the TD-4 as a midi controller for one of the computer drum libraries like Superior Drummer or BFD.

I should clarify this post, as you can do some basic tuning and muffling editing on the TD-4, but brains like the td-12/20 allow you to go much deeper. You can edit for shell wood, depth, etc, and generally have much more control. The real bonus on the higher end brains though I think comes from some of the kits you can download.
    Last edited by MadGary; 05-14-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: clarify td-4 editing features.