Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play "by ear"

User Info Menu

Default Play "by ear"

Hi! Im new and trying to learn, but I've got an miportant question: Is it possible to learn just by playing (along with songs you like) or you must do all the basic exercises (paradiddles, etc).????

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

paradiddles are great to use just getting your hand motion down and practicing your control over the sticks, i've never found use for them in regular playing though. it's your choice if you want to learn songs, but developing and getting down your own technique (without using lesson books) can make your style sound much more unique. learning the basics of music, however, you could write your own rudiments and take it from there.
    Hope it helps
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Hi Alaman, I'm also a beginner and I've been told that it's very important to practice your rudiments.......... I've been practicing my rudiments relentlessly and each time I find that it's easier to play along with the songs. Now, of course, I am not a pro but from everything I've read, it's important to practice the rudiments............ I'va also read posts from some of the members of this board that say "they wished they would have paid more attention to rudiments when they first started out"......... Just my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

I never really learned rudiments (even though I should and it would benefit me in more ways than one.)
    I learned The Four Basic Beats, and kept taking those beats another step further, by adding hi-hat fills, tom rolls and double bass.
    If you learn rudiments you will be twice as able as I am, becuase you will be able to play the things that require them, whereas I can't.

In short: I never learned rudiments. But you should.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

I think learning to play something by ear is a very important skill in drumming. I've only been to one audition for a rock band where they handed me sheet music, and that was for a Chicago song.

Most of what you'll play in bands, I think you will learn by ear. Rudiments are important and you should practice and master them, but learning to play something by ear is another important skill and one I think is worthy of spending time developing.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

what CyberComa said

User Info Menu

The only way I learned was by playing to my favorite CDs, watching everything I could, and ABSOLUTELY PLAYING BY MY EAR, I have never learned how to read music, and I feel there no need for my personal situation, how ever I strongly recommend learning rudiments at least singles and doubles, I wish I would have started learning these from early on, but did not think they were important, now I am struggling to learn them.

SO I recommend playing by ear(or heart), play along to your favorite CDs(beat way to learn, in my opinion), watch everything you can, and practice your singles and double. goodluck
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 03-23-2007 at 01:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I learned how to play by my ear at first, plus its SOOOOOOO Fun!! while your doing it.

User Info Menu

i originally learned by playing by ear to recordings without any lessons or chart reading knowledge. while i always "thought" i was pretty good, i now reallize i was really holding myself back for way too many years.
    it IS dif. for everyone tho, if you are just playing for fun, i dont think formal training is nessasry (but helpful). if planning on being a professional it is pretty much required to be able to read charts and play with a click track.

User Info Menu

soooul drumming

User Info Menu

Its deffinatley beneficial to learn the 40 essential rudements, not to say they should be learnt all during the same period. Mastering these tecniques takes time and dedication. It will improve you as a player all around. And who says you can't incorperate some of your rudement patterns in and an around the drumset? It certainly sounds cool!
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Cool Play "by ear"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman
    Hi! Im new and trying to learn, but I've got an miportant question: Is it possible to learn just by playing (along with songs you like) or you must do all the basic exercises (paradiddles, etc).????

Thanks a lot!
    Welcome aboard, Alaman! The basic exercises (aka rudiments) help you develop your stick control and coordination (or, if you play hand drums, as I do, hand control and coordination). While there are times (professional concert work, and in this case I'm referring to a symphony or big-band performance) reading music is a must, the vast majority of what I've learned was from playing along with recordings or live with other musicians.

In my own experience, as 32ndHB suggested, my best drumming came as much from my soul as it did from my hands, whether they were holding sticks or slapping skins...

Bienvenidos, amigo, y...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I think playing by ear is great at the start. It allows you to just have some fun and relax with your kit. You learn about keeping tempo and begin to create your own fills and beats on top.

But the transition from jamming around and having fun, to becoming more of a professional drummer can't be accomplished without those rudiments in your back pocket. It makes you a more steady and confident drummer and builds your speed, dexterity and control.

I'm one of those drummers that Drum_chick mentioned, the one that didn't pay attention to my rudiments while I was starting. If I had of paid more attention to them in my first drumming years, I may well have been much better than I am now. But, thats given me the drive and dedication to master all of them in my lost time.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

HB58, I thought you were older then me, you're only 18! You have years left to play and master drums.... I'm 37 (almost dead) LOL

User Info Menu

Actually 36, I'll be 37 on Wednesday...... LOL

User Info Menu

I started out playing by ear, but after a while, my ears started hurting and I realized that sticks work better!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

yeah like i said, soul drumming is the way to go, but it doesnt make much noise. so im gonna use 1DB's technique

User Info Menu

Default rudiments

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualFrog
    Its deffinatley beneficial to learn the 40 essential rudements, not to say they should be learnt all during the same period. Mastering these tecniques takes time and dedication. It will improve you as a player all around. And who says you can't incorperate some of your rudement patterns in and an around the drumset? It certainly sounds cool!

I totally agree, just with one simple pattern applied around the drums you can have so much fun with it as one pattern like ur standard RLRR LRLL played on cymbals and around the drum kit, bring the bass in and out at different times IS so much fun and I Love it.

In addition, it is so good for your coordination and development of strength.

User Info Menu

Flam rudiments are my biggest weakness at the moment, whereas my single and double stroke rolls are my strongest.

I've got all of the rudiments written on my wall and what tempo's I can play them at comfortably and what is pushing my limits.

I usually take a couple rudiments, maybe four and try to improve those each week. I'm getting better and better.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot to all of you! I really appreciate your help. But I don't understand 1DrumBum: How could I play with my ears? my sunglasses would fall down.

User Info Menu

Ive leart all i know by ear. Even if its not a lot.

User Info Menu

i suck by trying to play by ear i have to have drum tabs. i know i know im lame but owell im still learning lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    Flam rudiments are my biggest weakness at the moment, whereas my single and double stroke rolls are my strongest.

I've got all of the rudiments written on my wall and what tempo's I can play them at comfortably and what is pushing my limits.

I usually take a couple rudiments, maybe four and try to improve those each week. I'm getting better and better.

HB58
    Swiss triplets for me - I just love to smack out swiss triplets down a line of toms while the double-bass rumbles fast underneath.

After being really slack about practice for ages, I've noticed how fast single and double-stroke roll has deteriorated. It was fairly quick to get back up to speed again, but I was surprised by how far I'd slipped in such a short time.

Anyone else noticed this (not HB58 obviously: my God, you make me jealous - you've got a work ethic like I've never seen before, and more drumming wisdom than most people twice your age).

User Info Menu

Ivé never really practiced my rudiment properly ivé only really master the single and double strokes properly and flams and drags.

User Info Menu

I should prolly do more...