Thread: Cutting a Snare Bed

User Info Menu

Default Cutting a Snare Bed

OK, the used Cat Renown Snare that I picked up has no snare bed. I have checked it visually and with a straight edge and there is no snare bed. I called Gretsch and they swear that every wood snare has a snare bed cut into it. I sent them pics but they stand by their statement. All I know is that I have a great amount of snare buzz from where the snare wires are not really sitting on the head.

Anyone ever cut their own snare bed or dress one? Is my best option to send the drum off to have a bed cut? Any input appreciated.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cutting a Snare Bed

Have you tried Fat Cat wires? I never have so I can't endorse them, but I do know they make models specifically for drums with no snare bed.

Just curious, how did Gretsch explain the fact that your drum does not have a snare bed? If you do decide to alter the shell, I would definitely look into having a pro do it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cutting a Snare Bed

Hey xsabers, no the guy at Gretsch just kept saying that he could not understand why it did not appear to have a bed cut. He said all wood snares leave the factory with one.

Appreaciate the feedback. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware