Thread: Need Advice On Bass Drum Heads

User Info Menu

Default Need Advice On Bass Drum Heads

OK, I'm going to be replacing my bass drum heads sometime soon and wanted some feedback on which ones to buy. I'm getting them for my 22" Pearl Prestige Session Select (Maple/Mahogany/Maple) kit. I've always used Remo clear Pinstripes or Powerstrokes. However, I'm contemplating putting Evans EMAD Coated for the batter and either the EMAD Resonant or the EQ3 Resonant. I'm really into the sound with having coated heads on my snare and toms right now, but I've never tried a coated head on the bass. Has anyone here ever use a coated batter head on their bass drum? Is so, how did you like it?
    Last edited by DrummerD; 04-29-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: For clarity

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Advice On Bass Drum Heads

Haven't tried it, but glad you asked the question, I am wondering the same thing

dave0549jv Guest

Im using a clear EMAD Batter with the small ring, and a ported EQ3 reso. I couldnt be much happier with it. Never tried a coated head... interesting though.

User Info Menu

I was listening to a drummer last night that has a Coated Aquarian super kick III on his DW collectors 22" bass drum. I paid particular attention to how it sounded as opposed to my Aquarian Super kick II which is clear. He is using a DW pillow ( the one that looks like an hour glass) and a stock DW reso head. To be honest in the setting that he was playing in, I could not tell allot of difference from my clear super kick II head. He was also using the felt side of the beater. I was listing from up top and they were set up in an orchestra pit unmiced. but I was right over them listening to him warm up. I can't say that his bass drum sounded better or worse than anyother quality head on a muffled but tuned well 22" bass drum. It was not warmer really that you would attribute to a coated head. There was no more or less attack either. Really from a bass drum stand point I could not tell enough differance to sway one way or the other from a sound standpoint. If I had all coated heads on my kit then I would consider a coated bass drum head on the batter side for no other reason than to match what was up top. Granted this was just a casual observation. Many of you here may have a differant opinion. But it is funny that this question was posed when just last night I was making the same comparison for myself.

User Info Menu

Ive heard good things about the EMAD II thats the double ply version of the EMAD. Thats probably the one im going with next. Nice deep tone.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Two ply bass drum heads also offer a longer life, they seem to last longer and offer better sound on a bass drum in my opinion,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Two ply bass drum heads also offer a longer life, they seem to last longer and offer better sound on a bass drum in my opinion,
    I've also been told that they can be tuned lower than single ply. I picked up a new SKII and will compare it to my single ply GMAD.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Man, this is a great site! It would have been great to have access to a resource like this back in my earlier drumming years.

I think I'm going to go with the Evans EMAD Coated bass head and the EQ3 Resonant. I'm really curious to see what a coated head would sound like. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to give me some input.

User Info Menu

Coated heads on the bass drum work well.......at least mine did in the 70's. Had a 20X22 that came with my Ludwig kit made in 1967. Man, that thing jus boomed.....had a 6" port in the center of the reso and a 4" felt strip about 6" in on the batter side. No need for any other type of muffling.

User Info Menu

I use an EMAD batter and EMAD reso on mine. Couldn't love it more. But I didn't even realize they make a coated EMAD. I might have to try that when it's time to change out heads.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

how would a coated PS3 sound compared to a clear one?
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Xsabers,Let us know how you like the SKII. I have a regular Emad 2 and bought a SKII. I had it on for one job and couldn't wait to get it off and put my Emad 2 back on. It was so dead. I play unmiced and the SKII just didn't have enough sound to get out. The Emad is a much better sounding head in my opinion. I was thinking about trying a Gmad. I use G-Plus coated heads on my toms. I think the G-PLUS are the best sounding heads out there. I would like to hear your opinion onthe Gmad. Thanks. John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    how would a coated PS3 sound compared to a clear one?
    Like I stated in my post above the PSIII coated does not sound really any differant from a PSII clear in my opinion. no perceptable differance. IMO