Thread: Broken Tom Head

User Info Menu

Default Broken Tom Head

Hey guys, I was jammin on my set today when my high tom's head burst. Now there's a huge rip in the head and I need to get a new one. My set is about 2 weeks old and all of the heads are stock. I was looking for some advice on heads. Should I just look to replace the tom or should I go ahead and get heads for the rest of my drums? Thanks.

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Broken Tom Head

What drums do you have, and what heads are currently on them. This isnt a question that can be adequately addressed without that information. Stock heads on decent quality kits tend to be decent single ply, IE Remo Ambassador Coated or Clears. If you already have decent quality heads, then most likely the drumhead isnt the problem. It could be you, it could be a poorly shaped bearing edge, bad sticks, or just bad luck.

User Info Menu

Nah man it was definitely the head. I have a Gretsch Catalina ash kit and the heads were stock. I don't know what kind they were they just have the Gretsch logo on them. The kit and sticks are brand new so it had to be the head. I'm just looking for some advice as to what heads I should get.

User Info Menu

Jaguar, did you like the sound of the kit with the stock heads? If so, you are looking for a good single ply batter head. If not, then we would need to know what sound you are thinking about.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm really unsure.... I'm brand new to the drumset and it's sounds... I just got my first kit 2 weeks ago. I'm looking at getting Evans G2 coated batter drumheads. Any thoughts on those?

ThePloughman Guest

Go for it. If you break that, ...... it isnt the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    Hey guys, I was jammin on my set today when my high tom's head burst. Now there's a huge rip in the head and I need to get a new one. My set is about 2 weeks old and all of the heads are stock. I was looking for some advice on heads. Should I just look to replace the tom or should I go ahead and get heads for the rest of my drums? Thanks.
    Can you honestly answer my question ?

How long have you been playing ?
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

G2s are awesome! Also, as Ploughman stated, if you break a G2 then it isn't the head. Something is going on with either your kit or your insanely hard bashing of the drum (in which case, you're probably doing a lot more damage to your wrists and elbows than you are to that drum head).

What kind of music are you playing? That'll help us steer you in the right direction for heads.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    G2s are awesome! Also, as Ploughman stated, if you break a G2 then it isn't the head. Something is going on with either your kit or your insanely hard bashing of the drum (in which case, you're probably doing a lot more damage to your wrists and elbows than you are to that drum head).

What kind of music are you playing? That'll help us steer you in the right direction for heads.
    What he said! +1 for the G2, my favourite head! I currently have clears, but I'm getting coated next time!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

I'm learning how to play the drums now so I've only been playing for about 6 weeks.... And no it wasn't because I was hitting them insanely lol.... I was actually playing them pretty moderately when it popped... I think it was just the cheap stock heads.... I ended up getting the g2's so I'm excited about those.... and I got a evans genera hd dry snare head as well..... I'll let you guys know if I have another problem but I don't think I will.

User Info Menu

I'm learning how to play the drums now so I've only been playing for about 6 weeks.... And no it wasn't because I was hitting them insanely lol.... I was actually playing them pretty moderately when it popped... I think it was just the cheap stock heads.... I ended up getting the g2's so I'm excited about those.... and I got a evans genera hd dry snare head as well..... I'll let you guys know if I have another problem but I don't think I will.
    Good choice, Jag. Its been a very long time since I broke a drum head...and I think it was in marching band in my teens when we hammered the drums when we played. Good luck !

User Info Menu

I'm learning how to play the drums now so I've only been playing for about 6 weeks.... And no it wasn't because I was hitting them insanely lol.... I was actually playing them pretty moderately when it popped...

It may not be the force of the stroke as much as the angle of the stroke that may be in cause...
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

ThePloughman Guest

How many dents are in your heads?

User Info Menu

It just seems crazy that you could bust a tom head when they have hardly any tension. A snare head I can see busting because of all the tension and hitting it hard compounds the problem, but a tom head usually just dents and distorts! I am thinking that it had to be defective in some way like it pulled away from the hoop and then failed or something along those lines. Or a weak spot in the mylar along the hoop and then it split. It has to be something more than hitting it too hard.

User Info Menu

i have the exactly same heads on toms and snare...

User Info Menu

There aren't any noticable dents... But the tom came fully set up when I got it in the mail. So I didn't even tune it or anything... I thought it sounded fine so I kept it. But I remember it being very tight on the drum. But I don't know much about tuning or anything so I left it. I think it was a combination of the wear and tear it was taking and how tight the head was on the tom.

ThePloughman Guest

There aren't any noticable dents... But the tom came fully set up when I got it in the mail. So I didn't even tune it or anything... I thought it sounded fine so I kept it. But I remember it being very tight on the drum. But I don't know much about tuning or anything so I left it. I think it was a combination of the wear and tear it was taking and how tight the head was on the tom.
    See, this takes us back to my original response. It is impossible to advise you on the best course of action when we have no idea what you need or even what your problem was to begin with. You have gotten all sorts of really good responses, had they really been addressing you need. As it is, advising you to buy G2 heads wasnt in your best interest. While it wasnt necessarily a waste of money, it is certainly money not well spent right now. What you really need to do is go on You Tube, or find a person who can give you the basics on how to tune your drums so that you get good sound. My advice would be to invest the cost of a head into having someone give you some basics for an hour or two. Then, make a decision on buying whichever kind of head you really need.

User Info Menu

Ya, my drum instructor helped me set up my drumkit when it came in the mail, and he showed me how to tune all the drums for about an hour so I think I have the basics down. I tuned all of my drums except for that one tom, so I think I paid the price for not tuning it correctly

User Info Menu

Have your drum instructor help you with purchasing new heads based on your needs. He can help you find what is best for your application!

User Info Menu

Ya, he suggested G2's as well. I ended up going with those!