Thread: sore forearms

User Info Menu

Default sore forearms

i am praticing a lot more now, and my forearms are always sore from praticing, what can i do to make my forearms less sore after i pratice?
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Default Re: sore forearms

front facing pull-up's should do it. Or you could just work on flexing your muscles and stretching before and after ya play. Most music stores sell this ball that you rotate in a circular motion and it is suppose to be great for alot of wrist hand and forearm fatigue. I think they are around $30. F/T

I googled it they call it the wrist ball.
    Last edited by fumbled time; 05-08-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: more info

User Info Menu

asF.T. said,always warmup before you play ,,then stretch after you play ,, and if its just sore muscles,, try rubbing your sore muscles with rubbing alcohol.. that should help..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Work out more, pushups definitely will increase your arm strength. Exercise is tough, but worthwhile in the end when you find you are capable of more.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Sean, the reason your muscles are sore is because you have worked out on the kit and Lactic Acid has built up in your muscles. It happens when the work demand is greater than the oxygen that is available to support that work. The best thing to do is to get the circulation going in the area of the sore muscles. If the muscles are tight, messaging them can help, or applying something like Ben Gay can improve the local circulation and that will help get oxygen into the muscle, getting rid of the Lactic Acid. If it is really extreme, then hot compresses - 20 minutes on, and 20 minutes off - will help get the circulation going.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Curl your nearest dumbbell or if they're not always around, find, make or buy a weight bench and 110 lbs of weight.

Curl, bench, m press, one hand curls, finger roll to wrist curls. Sit-ups

Start light, be safe "Never Bench With Out A Spotter"!!!

Breath in deep on down exhale deep on up gain more air flow also, Your chest, gut, mind, will form into your inner Che...

Be the machine...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

What PB said.

Also if you don't watch out for that, you could develop RSI, which is no fun at all.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

You might just be gripping your sticks too tight, which would cause you to absorb a lot of the shock from every hit and result in sore elbows, forearms, and/or wrists. If this is the case, nothing short of working on your technique will ease the pain. If anything, it'll only get worse with time.

If you're positive that your technique is spot on and it's just muscle fatigue, then just continue playing and you'll build the muscles as time goes on. If you're playing properly (using your wrists) then push ups, pull ups, and arm curls aren't going to help you much. Those exercises build the biceps and chest. If anything, of the exercises recommended, wrist curls might help a little. That "wrist ball" thing is decent too.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Hydrate as much as you can during and after practices. Drink water, not the flavored sport drinks. As PB has mentioned, lactic acid can cause cramps in over worked muscles; water will help flush out toxics and help with cramping.

User Info Menu

A little bit of glutamine post workout can help reduce muscle soreness. I know when I started going back to the gym on a regular basis it made a world of difference as far as reducing muscle soreness.

User Info Menu

Mmmmmm Sounds more like poor technique than lack of strength. Check out Dom Famularo's teachings for gettimg maximum speed and power with relaxation, (Moeller technique amongst other things.) Always practice relaxed, Because if you practice tense, you'll play tense, and tension is the Antigroove!

Andy

User Info Menu

at lessons today, my drum teachers said i should pratice slower and more relxaed and build up speed, we worked on it in lessons and my timing was much better cause im not struggling to play fast if i play rexlaed
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts