Thread: I Did IT

User Info Menu

Default I Did IT

Brag Post??

Well, I am sure it did not sound perfect, or even all that great, but I still feel a HUGE sense of accomplishment.

I played a song all the way through today. Plugged in the earphones and played one of my favorites.

Got lost occasionally, when the basic beat went to a roll or fill (what is the difference, btw??) But I was actually able to get back on time and keep going.

I am sure I still SUCK compared to you guys, but I suck less, to me, today

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Did IT

Keep at it, have some fun and be confident in your abilities and skill. One of the worst things in music performance is when the performer has no confidence. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

All musicians mess up from time to time...it's part of being human. Just keep practicing, hone your skills and remember the meaning of the word PLAYING. It's supposed to be fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bennice View Post

Keep at it, have some fun and be confident in your abilities and skill. One of the worst things in music performance is when the performer has no confidence. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

All musicians mess up from time to time...it's part of being human. Just keep practicing, hone your skills and remember the meaning of the word playing. It's supposed to be fun!
    +1
    Premier "XPK" 10" 12" 13" 14" 16" 22" Premier 2000 snare
    Aquarian Heads, Responce 2, Impact 2 Bass, w/ reso.
    Paiste PST-5, 14" HH,16", 18" Crash, 20" Ride, 10" splash
    Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
    Tama RoadPro HH Stand
    Tama Double Tom Stand
    PDP Stands
    Isn't wonderful to be one of God's Children

"PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"
    "PAISTE POSSE"

User Info Menu

Awesome!

What song was it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    when the basic beat went to a roll or fill (what is the difference, btw??)
    A roll, short for drum roll, is a generic term for many roll type rudiments. Examples would be double stroke roll or single stroke roll, etc.

A fill, short for fill-in, can incorporate various rolls in the fill-in. A fill typically fills the space between vocals or instrumental phrases. The rhythm of the fill differs from the time the drummer keeps during the rest of the song or music piece.

For example if your playing a rock beat in 4/4 time with eighth notes on the hats and quarter notes on the 2 and 4, playing 16th notes around the toms for a measure would be a fill.

User Info Menu

NICE JOB! Learning an instrument is all about reaching milestones. Each one is critical in it's own way. Trust me, if you keep it up you will be able to enjoy this sense of accomplishment over and over again. It can be frustrating endeavor at times, but the rewards as you now know, are awesome!

User Info Menu

Right on girl. Git R done!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

+1 on the achievment, It is the little goals that make the big one a sucsess. F/T

User Info Menu

AWESOME! Practicing should always be fun. mastering techniques never quite have the same thrill as mastering a difficult part in a song (note: one usually aids the other ). congrats

dave0549jv Guest

hey hey! congrats! i remember when i did that the first time. 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins, beginning to end without any mess ups. what a great day!

User Info Menu

good job dude,,, just have fun ..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

great job! keep at it. what song did you learn?
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

The song is All Fired Up by Benetar.

And far from perfect. I got lost, as the basic beat is kind of quick for a pretty new drummer. But, I have learned the parts. It is just getting quicker.

And I just stayed with it. Got lost and got back on track.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Girl, not a Dude, btw

User Info Menu

You go girl....dude....ette

Dont cha love it when stuff comes together and you aint expecting it

Havin fun is what its all about.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Yep, Having FUN!

And you peeps have helped me realize that.

It is such a great group here. SO much better than any BB I have ever been on for supportive people.

Here, I am not afraid to try and to post such little things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bennice View Post

All musicians mess up from time to time...it's part of being human. Just keep practicing, hone your skills and remember the meaning of the word PLAYING. It's supposed to be fun!
    Absolutely! And Kudos to your 1st time playing through a whole song! No matter how good or bad you may think it was. That's huge!

I started playing in the 5th grade. Took a 15 year break away during college, marriage and kids. However, I've been back at it for 3 years now and I'm approaching my mid 40's and having more fun than ever. I can honestly say that just keeping it fun and constantly try to learn new things is a big part of playing. Also, I still make mistakes when I play as well as most of us do. It's challenging, but that's what makes it so much fun. There's so much to learn. So, keep practicing and enjoy the ride!!!