Thread: Recording Frustrations

User Info Menu

Default Recording Frustrations

Alright guys, so I'm ready to start recording drum videos, and I've got pretty good equipment for recording, but I've come to the realization that I have everything I need to get a great sound; except the knowledge.

My setup right now is a Shure PG 7-piece mic setup with an SM57 on the snare all running into an old Mackie mixer which is running from there via USB into my computer (Audacity right now, but probably Reaper soon). I've played and played with pre and post-production values and I'm just hopeless. Would anyone be able to spare the time and give me a COMPLETE rundown of what I should be doing? And by this I mean in terms of:
    Sound levels (sound slider vs. gain)
    EQ on mixer
    EQ in program
    Effects
    Mic Placement
    Etc.

Thank you guys so much!

-CMP

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Frustrations

Also, I'd love a sound like this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhXVZkzTJE"]YouTube- HOW YOU LOVE ME NOW (Hey Monday) DRUM COVER REMIX[/ame]

User Info Menu

You guys are gonna get tired of me saying this but.... Why does that guy in the video get that sound? Room treatment. Look at the walls. This is key. With good room acoustics the natural eq built into the mics ( audix is what I am speaking of) take care of a lot of the carving that is needed.

User Info Menu

Cole1paul. Questions. What is your overhead setup? How big is the room you are recording in? Are you clipping going in?

User Info Menu

That is a really good video recorded professionally in a treated room or studio.
    Also a professionally edited video filmed several times or with multiple cameras. That guy looks good in the video and I bet he is useing it as a audition video for young upcomeing signed acts that are putting together a touring band. He will probably get something out of it. I went back and read some comments on you tube and the guy said the video and recording were done seperately so he is basically playing to his own recording while it is being videod from different angles by one camera and them editing the videos.

I think a lot of things were covered in this thread about recording.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ing-14981.html
    Last edited by VIbes; 05-09-2010 at 07:37 PM.

User Info Menu

If I had hair like that I would play better.

User Info Menu

He looks like he gets tired a lot playing like that..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

nucjd:
    My rooms about 15x16, carpeted, nothing special on the walls, and my overheads are about 3 sticks above my snare, one on each side of the kit pointed at the opposite side. I'm also experiencing a little too much resonance (which I love) on the toms. How can I get more attack?

User Info Menu

In that size room you are going to get phasing issues. Treating your walls would be the first thing I would do. If you can find a rug or something to hang that would help out tremendously. I suspect your overheads are phasing as well. Have you tried to place the overheads at a right angle? i.e. the right overhead pointing at the floor tom and the left overhead pointing at the hihat with the overheads positioned in front of the kit midline. Also if your kit is on the carpet it will kill some of the "presence" or "brightness" that you are describing that is missing. an iso floor would help for this or ply wood sheets on the floor where your kit would sit. There are multiple plans and ideas out there for iso floors. I will take some pics of my overhead position so you can see what I am talking about. This eliminates phasing from the overheads.

User Info Menu

Thanks man, that's a great help. What about the ratio of gain to regular volume control?

User Info Menu

UPDATE: I just got Reaper (was using Audacity) and so far I'm loving the change. I'm finding it way easier to work with (I LOVE being able to apply effects to a track BEFORE it's recorded). Any tips in terms of reverb and compression for a tight, aggressive sound?

User Info Menu

Hang packing blankets allong the walls put overheads about 1.5' above cymbal height XY over your kick knee never square your kit up in the room always put it off axis (slanted towards the walls "near" the middle f the room. Gain staging and fader volume is very important. Basic Eqing is also very important to get a hot enough signal while leaving plenty of headroom for mixing and mastering. Tracks should be recorded about -12 db, -15 for overheads and if you want more transients -9 for snare and maybe the kick for metal.

User Info Menu

Also I'd recommend The Audio Pro Home Recording Course by Bill Gibson to learn the specifics and gain staging. But your mixers instructions should have a gain staging section for you mixer.

Gain is PFL peaking at 0 db's
    Last edited by Cant Get Enough; 05-13-2010 at 03:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    Hehehe...

Did you notice that there's almost no difference in volume or tone between regular snare hits and the rim shots? There's a TON of compression on those drum tracks. Well done, but a lot of it.

It also sounds like they've either mixed in some samples or at least there is a mic on the beater of the bass drum.

If you can get a sound like that recording at home, then you're better than at least 95% of the people and home studios out there.

User Info Menu

Alright, so I've been playing around a bit. I put on a gate (without knowing anything about what its parameters should be), and a compressor. I've put a low cut on the toms for more attack, panned everything how it should be, and I'm planning on cutting a porthole for the bass mic tonight. I promise I'll try and get some stuff up for you guys to hear soon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    Alright, so I've been playing around a bit. I put on a gate (without knowing anything about what its parameters should be), and a compressor. I've put a low cut on the toms for more attack, panned everything how it should be, and I'm planning on cutting a porthole for the bass mic tonight. I promise I'll try and get some stuff up for you guys to hear soon!
    No gate on anything except to tighten (round out) the kick. No low cut on toms, you need to remove cloud by reducing as much as 12 db around 300 Hz at one octave until the sound cleans up and then increase up to 5 db around 5000 Hz to bring out the attack. Aim your tom mics to the center about 2" inside and 2" above the rim. Get that mic inside about 6" from the batter head on the kick (move it around a little bit to get the best sound). I really suggest finding some tutorials on compression, gain staging, recording levels and understanding the gate.

P.S. If you gate more than the kick your kit will end up sounding like seperate instruments instead of a whole drumkit
    Last edited by Cant Get Enough; 05-15-2010 at 01:02 AM.