Thread: Pearl Demon Drive Eliminators

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Demon Drive Eliminators

OK, so I recently went and dropped some cash on a set of pedals that I have been lusting after for some time now. In the mean time I have tried out Iron Cobras, Axis, DW5000, DW900 and even some Dixon's just to see how they were tracking. Just prior to finalising my purchase I also played around on the Mapex Falcon pedals that seem to have just launched (good on you Mapex for keeping moving forward in this area - but WHY oh WHY did you not keep developing the Janus technology - you could have had a real winner) - but I digress.

The Pearl Demon Drive won out in the end, and I gotta say, while they are a pricey pedal - they are only marginally more expensive than a set of full priced DW's and are still cheaper than Trick pedals. That being said, when purchasing the double set, you kinda get three pedals for one. The whole thing is modular, so you can dissasemble the double beater and move it across to make two single pedals, or if your a lefty, or you can/do switch beween the two, you can reverse the entire thing - for me this is great because one of the main things that keeps me tied to a right handed setup was my pedals - now I can start experimenting again.

I am still playing and toying with different settings and configurations, BUT straight out of the box (or case - whatever) this thing was the smoothest pedal I have touched - EVER. The slave is the biggest difference. It's responsiveness is unlike anything else I have tested, using direct drive technology to it's fullest. I have no idea how much is marketing hype, but between the bearings (the double pedal apparently has a total of 16 various bearings in total) and that Z link thing - my left foot is faster than my right. Now, this is saying something, since on my old Mapex pedals, my left foot was always the problem, I always felt I had no speed and had to really play it out - I could never play around with techniques like heel-toe since it had no responsiveness to it, but on this - If I control it, it's brilliant, moving exactly with my foot almost as if it's a par tof my body - if I start like just twitching, it goes with me and I start to sound like Joey Jordisson it's that responsive.

I know some others have not been fans of this pedal, and others seem to have brand loyalty that for one reason or another they can't manage to dispell when looking at this thing, and maybe I'm no different, BUT in saying that, I am REALLY happy with this thing and all the pearl stuff I picked up recently. This inlucde the 1000 series hi-hat stand, and two boom stands - I gotta say, pearl really do make quality stuff, and I'm happy to keep all my gear matching as long as they give me what I'm looking for.

When I've played around with the pedal more, I'll let you know more about it, but right now, it's easily the best pedal on the market IMO - the possibilities with that level of adjustment are endless
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 05-09-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Demon Drive Eliminators

Those pedals are the only Pearl hardware I actually like, You spent you're money well, those pedals are awesome
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I've been wanting to try them for a rather long time now.

You must be extremely excited, your post is full of typos!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Congrats on the purchase. Personally, I'm not a fan of those pedals but that's not to say they aren't quality construction, they just aren't my thing. I prefer a heavy pedal, like the Iron Cobra.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Congrtas on the new pedals, you are right on the price, still out of my range.
    Premier "XPK" 10" 12" 13" 14" 16" 22" Premier 2000 snare
    Aquarian Heads, Responce 2, Impact 2 Bass, w/ reso.
    Paiste PST-5, 14" HH,16", 18" Crash, 20" Ride, 10" splash
    Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
    Tama RoadPro HH Stand
    Tama Double Tom Stand
    PDP Stands
    Isn't wonderful to be one of God's Children

"PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"
    "PAISTE POSSE"

User Info Menu

Bought a used pearl p122, I ordered new bearings for it to see how much of a difference it will make. I love mine already too. But yours is obviously way better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I've been wanting to try them for a rather long time now.

You must be extremely excited, your post is full of typos!

Hehehe, yeah, I think I fixed 'em all up now, makes it a much more coherent read when it's done properly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. Personally, I'm not a fan of those pedals but that's not to say they aren't quality construction, they just aren't my thing. I prefer a heavy pedal, like the Iron Cobra.
    In the stores they tend to keep these adjusted to the lighter factory setting, I tweaked that before I even tested them out at home to the heavier feel they have - you may be impressed yet.

User Info Menu

I was going to buy the Pearl Demon Drive but decided to buy a house instead. They were about the same price.

User Info Menu

LOL, no doubt tom. Bet it even took ya a few days to make the choice on the house,lol. F/T

User Info Menu

not my style of pedal but still an amazing pedal
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Pearl Hardware (BD Pedal)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Zildjian (Zildjian League)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

I have heard this thing is incredibly fast, thats all good but it does not look as appealing or as "pretty" as something as the Dw 9000 or the Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Good choice buddy I have the Pearl Eliminator 2000 which was the top till they came out with the Demon Drive 3000. Read alot of good stuff on it and thinking maybe I will get one someday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I was going to buy the Pearl Demon Drive but decided to buy a house instead. They were about the same price.
    LOL! Pretty accurate though...
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

ThePloughman Guest

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my Iron Cobra pedals, one a Powerglide, the other a Rolling Glide.... with the DW 9000 single.
    The DW feels great out of the box, which is what I had the chance to mess with, but the store also had the Pearl pedal and I messed with it for some comparison.

After just a few strokes, I think Ive changed my mind, and am seriously considering the Pearl. It is way faster than the Cobra, and feels better than the DW, IMO.

User Info Menu

nice buy

i am looking at pear demon and dw 9000

i didn't try both yet just reading on them(it long i am french)
    Last edited by Riouel; 06-20-2010 at 12:35 PM.

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I too use the Demon Drive Eliminators. Excellent pedals.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I tried the demon drive at drummer world in New York while I was visiting over there, and man oh man it was slick. If I wasn't trying to get my cymbals caought up in quality with my drums and hardware already I would seriously consider getting me some of those.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I agree that those pedals are incredibly smooth and adjustable. In fact, I was just about to break out the credit card the other day and buy the double pedal.

BUT....

The rod that connects the slave to the main pedal attaches with a single drum-key bolt. ONE! And it strips easily. How do I know? I tried some adjustments at the drum shop, and when I went to hook up the rod and tighten it down, it stripped! I didn't crank down hard at all.

The Iron Cobras are staying until Pearl addresses this weakness. (Oh, and the Demon Drive needs some velcro on the slave pedal.)

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

It actually attaches with two bolts on either side.
    I know this because I own one.

My band currently demands extensive use of the double pedal, I have yet to have any issues with any of the connector points. You need to tigten the points down every time you set the pedal up, and you're good.

Also, they ship with Velcro that you can attach, already with an adhesive. enough for both pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I agree that those pedals are incredibly smooth and adjustable. In fact, I was just about to break out the credit card the other day and buy the double pedal.

BUT....

The rod that connects the slave to the main pedal attaches with a single drum-key bolt. ONE! And it strips easily. How do I know? I tried some adjustments at the drum shop, and when I went to hook up the rod and tighten it down, it stripped! I didn't crank down hard at all.

The Iron Cobras are staying until Pearl addresses this weakness. (Oh, and the Demon Drive needs some velcro on the slave pedal.)

My band currently demands extensive use of the double pedal, I have yet to have any issues with any of the connector points. You need to tigten the points down every time you set the pedal up, and you're good.

Also, they ship with Velcro that you can attach, already with an adhesive. enough for both pedals.
    It appears that all issues have been addressed.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

great pedal i honestly dont get how some pros choose the regular elim's over the demon drives.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post

Perhaps the one I was looking at was an older model? I hope so, because it absolutely had only one attaching bolt. (And no velcro in the box.) I'm glad to hear Pearl addressed that serious weakness.

**Edited to add: I just checked Pearl's website and found the newest Demon Drives DO have 2 attaching bolts like Nechre said. It was improved over the originally released version.**
    Last edited by Scooter; 08-31-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: new info

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Pearl Demon Drive Eliminators

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Perhaps the one I was looking at was an older model? I hope so, because it absolutely had only one attaching bolt. (And no velcro in the box.) I'm glad to hear Pearl addressed that serious weakness.

**Edited to add: I just checked Pearl's website and found the newest Demon Drives DO have 2 attaching bolts like Nechre said. It was improved over the originally released version.**
    Not sure to what you mean about a single bolt but I am glad Pearl fixed the problem.

User Info Menu

Moot point at this point. But I think I bought it within 3 months of it being released in stores. So either you saw a Demon Drive with parts missing or you saw a prototype.