Thread: But, I LIKE cymbals...

User Info Menu

Default But, I LIKE cymbals...

Whew!!!

Been trying to mix some songs for my band, and it's almost like the old joke. "Make it sound more blue." "I dunno, that sounds just a touch too, well, you know... " Make everything louder than everything else." If you've ever tried to mix something to please a bunch of musicians, you'll know what I mean...

Now, I'm a bassist by trade so I'm used to standing next to the cymbals all night. And as a result, I really dig the sound of cymbals. Since I started messing around playing drums last year, I've upgraded all of our cymbals and really love the way the kit sounds now.

So, to make a short story long...

We're doing some recording in my little basement studio, and when I get a mix I like, everyone else says the cymbals are too hot and there's not enough kick and snare. Evidently, I'm mixing it to match what I hear when we play live.

Would any of you mind taking a listen to a couple of mixes and letting me know which one appeals to you?

Here's my original mix of the song Come What May. I realize the vocals are a little hot, but I absolutely love the cymbal sound:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_3930365

Here's the new mix, with the cymbals and vocals down a bit and the kick, snare and bass pumped up a bit:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_3949023

So if any of y'all would have the time and/or the inclination to do a little critical listening from a drummer's perspective, I welcome all comments and criticism.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: But, I LIKE cymbals...

LDS, I like your original mix better. I think the new mix subdues the vocals and the cymbals too much. You definitely need a bit more treble and midrange in the mix. Maybe you could find a happy medium between the two. I really like that you can hear the sticking of the ride in the original mix, and would hate to hear that being lost.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thank you, sir!!!

I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this one.

User Info Menu

I actually like the second one better, but I think nirvana is somewhere in between. I like to hear the bass drum, so the second one appeals to me, but I think the cymbals are just a bit muted. Not much, but a bit. I'd say keep the bass, snare, toms where they are, and add just a bit of cymbal, depending of course how you have them mic'd.

EDIT: I like the music though. Great songs.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Thanks!

Another Nashvillian!

Hope you came out OK in the floods!

User Info Menu

I like mix one. Good mix I might add.
    Btw, like Alice in chains? Very similar riff to "nutshell". I am a big AnC fan. You guys play well.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

You're the second person to mention that resemblance. I had never listened to the song until a few days ago, but I have to agree that the same scale is used on both songs for the descending run. I was sitting there trying to figure out something to play on the bass that followed the tom fill and that's just what came out. I dunno, does it need to be changed?

User Info Menu

Yeah cool chord progression. That reminds me of a song on a project I was working on that everyone kept saying we used a part from mudvayne and I don't even know who they are and had never heard their stuff. We all use certain melodic progressions and they will overlap. Anyway good stuff LDS.

User Info Menu

I liked your mix, I like cymbals loud too!

User Info Menu

i like more the first one but like pb said maybe you could go in the midle of both

thanx for sharring

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I think there's a spot in the middle you may have overlooked. I like the cymbal and vocal prominence of the first one, but the snare and kick sound good in the second one. Why not just take the first mix and pump up the snare and kick in that one a bit? If nothing else, the second one is way too quiet. Can barely hear anything compared to the first one.

As a side note, the music itself is great. You guys really have a great sound
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

Fullstop Guest

Mix one pops really well. I'd say pump up the rest just a bit and maybe drop the cymbals down just a bump. See how it sounds?

User Info Menu

It's a good idea to get someone else to listen to your mixing (as you've evidently done) because if you spend a lot of time mixing, bad things happen very often. A little mixing is better than a lot, because if you spend too much time mixing a particular track, you tend to spend a lot of time doing unnecessary things and a lot of the time making it worse.

Also I think it's generally better to turn down things that are too loud rather than turn everything up.

But you probably know this already
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I like the 2nd mix much better than the 1st mix. The 2nd mix in my opinion features the entire band and the focus is the lyrics and vocals. The 1st mix to me sounds like a drummer biased mix (take no offense please). I like cymbals too but the priority is the song and the 2nd mix speaks "song" to me.

Nice drumming and great music! Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

First of all ,,,, i really like the song ,,, it sticks in my head ,, to me thats the sign of a good song ,,

now,, the mix, i like the vocals up front as in the 1st mix, i dont think the mix is the problem with the cymbals though... i think 1 of the cymbals is louder than the others. most of the crashes are spot on . just a few of the crashes are a little too loud , so im thinking either the mike was closer to one of the cymbals ,or one of the cymbals is louder than the others. i dont think all of the cymbal crashes are too loud, just a few .

But to be honest ,,,,, i would stand behind either of the mixes.. if i had to pick 1 i think id go with the first one, only because i like the vocals better... but again, i really like the song ,,, great job .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

i think you should turn the bass and snare up in the first mix cos thats my favourite and i like to hear the bass and snare in a mix :D well done on the recording though it is a brilliant recording and great mix and a great band which also helps the other two :D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I liked the original better myself.

You need to make the snare crack more and bass drum thumpier. Then it'll be golden.
    Signature here