Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overworking My Left Hand

User Info Menu

Default Overworking My Left Hand

How do I go about overworking my left hand? Are there any special excercises that anyone can suggest.....

User Info Menu

Drum Chick, just make 'em up. Anything you can do with your right ...do with your left.

User Info Menu

Got it, thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

User Info Menu

If your practicing rudements, or any excerisize, switch between your left and right hand as 'lead' hands,
    For Example,

Paradiddles,
    RLRR LRLL...[repeat]
    then... lead with left hand...
    LRLL RLRR ...[repeat]

So I guess what drummer posted is what I am trying to get across.
    Also, if you're doing a pattern with an odd number of strokes, you'll always end up using whatever hand you began the pattern with, so its a good idea when practing patterns with an odd number of strokes [I.E. Triplets] to switch your lead hand between left and right!
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Good idea, thanks.........

User Info Menu

Is it worthless to keep watching the guy on www.drumrudiments.com? I keep watching him instead of doing it myself....... LOL

User Info Menu

I found this on the internet, this also may help if anyone needs to practice their left hand as well:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...4/lefthand.htm

User Info Menu

you may just be using your left hand in an uncomfortable postion. try different seating arrangements and lighten up on it. which pad do you hit the most with your left hand?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what you mean? (which pad do you hit the most with your left hand?). I'm using the RPM-5 Rhythym Coach practice pad, there's only one pad.

User Info Menu

ohohohohoh, see i thought you had the roland electric. lol
    oh my. well then perhaps you just need to alternate between your holding techniques

User Info Menu

I wish I had that kit, not yet I'm afraid......... It won't be for a while. I'll just keep praticing like I have been, I'm sure it will get better..... Thanks

User Info Menu

actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to step up to an electric 5 piece. more variety would really help you develop a technique of your own

User Info Menu

I'd like to buy it now, believe me, we just don't have the room in our condo right now...... I guess if patience is a virtue I'm going to be "The Virtue Goddess" LOL

User Info Menu

Triplets? Bah! Pentuplets are way more fun =P

If you intend on learning pentuplets, I suggest sounding out a five syllable word to keep your strokes even. "Hippopotamus" has always worked for me =D

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Thanks HB58, I'll try that.

User Info Menu

lol, hippopotamus made me giggle

User Info Menu

drumchick

ok I have an unorthodox suggestion for developing your left hand. I am assuming you are right handed) Go out and pick up a set of Ahead Sticks. They are synthetic non wood sticks, and are on the heavy side. Try using them instead. The extra weight should strengthen your left hand/wrist. I don't recommend them for actual set playing, but they are great for strength training. Try an alternating para diddle/ double para diddle exercise:

LRLL
    RLRR
    LRLRLL
    RLRLRR

Just a suggestion
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Great, thanks! Actually I was going out today to get a pair of Ahead sticks, any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Drum chick,

ahead makes a weighted stick specifically for strength training... they run about $25.00

Judging by some of your posts I would "stick" to either 5b or "rock" stick.

Oh BTW they also make a Lars Ulrich model too!!
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

I was thinking about the Lars Ulrich sticks. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what I get......

User Info Menu

practice all your rudiments starting with your right hand and then starting with the left. thatll increase our left hand muscles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    lol, hippopotamus made me giggle
    Yea, but it works thanks hellsbells, I learned something today to help me!

User Info Menu

somtime when i practice i play the back of the high hat with my left.... snare with my right!

somtimes its fun to hit the top and bottom of the high hat when you play with you left ...it looks flashy too
    PDP
    paiste high hat
    paiste 18" crash/ride
    zildjian 10" splash

"the beat flows through me"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I'd like to buy it now, believe me, we just don't have the room in our condo right now...... I guess if patience is a virtue I'm going to be "The Virtue Goddess" LOL
    LMAO........

User Info Menu

Drum Chick, just make 'em up. Anything you can do with your right ...do with your left.
    That's the best advice. Drum Chick, when I was about at your skill level, I sat down with a wise old jazz drummer whose name is lost to time, and we had this paraphrased conversation:

Me: My left hand is lame. What do you suggest?

OJD: Everything that you usually do well with your right hand, do with your left instead.

Me: (thinks) I only do a few things well with my right hand as it is.

OJD: Do them with your left then.

So I did. As a teenager at the time, you can imagine how fast my left became. If ya know what I mean.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.