Thread: Got wood?

User Info Menu

Default Got wood?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how to tell what type of wood your drums are made of. I bought a tama starclassic kit new in 2003 and Im selling it now. People are asking me if it is maple, and Im not sure what it is. When I bought it I am almost certain they were maple but I have no proof of it. Is there a way to find out? I paid around 1500 for a 4 piece shell pack. Any help would be appreciated.

Meat

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got wood?

Welcome to Drum Chat meatlips!

Probably the easiest way to find out is to email Tama, with a picture of your drums. They should be able to identify them, and then you will have an email from Tama that you could show to a buyer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Post a picture of the inside of one of the shells, get a good shot of the grain of the wood and someone here will easily be able to identify it.

User Info Menu

What does the finish look like? The Starclassic Maple and SC Birch offered different finishes (although some are pretty close, especially the Piano Black and Gloss Black). I was easily able to find the TAMA 2003 Catalogue on line.

Google "TAMA 2003 Catalogue" or pm me for the link. Of course, your kit could be a 2002 model, but I bet that info is readily available as well.

Good luck. Sounds like a nice kit.

User Info Menu

It's going to be either maple or birch and the two look a lot alike from the face grain. I don't think it will be that easy to tell from pictures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonorguy View Post
    It's going to be either maple or birch and the two look a lot alike from the face grain. I don't think it will be that easy to tell from pictures.
    You're right sonorguy! Both woods look really alike. I bet some good wood experts could tell right off but to an "average" person.....it would be tough to tell them apart from the face grain.

The tonal difference is much easier to tell both woods apart in my opinion. Maple to me, sounds mellow and warm. Birch to me, has a sharper attack with more projection, louder and crisp.

Maple

Birch

User Info Menu

Maple is more of a vertical grain, whereas birch looks like it is a horizontal one. Between that and their sound, it's not overly difficult to tell apart.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu