Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which Evans snare head?

User Info Menu

Default Re: which Evans snare head?

Up until today I had an Evans coated G2 over Hazy 300 on my 14 x 5.5 birch snare. The heads were brought up to 90 / 80 on the drum dial then fine tuned by ear.

I swapped out the batter replacing it with a coated G1. Used the same DD setting and I must say, I believe the drum sounds better and I am getting better stick response. There is less ringing in the drum and it just seems crisper.

On a side note when I removed the G2 it was in pristine condition after 2 months of use. There was nary a dent. The center coating has a smoother feel now, but that's it. I think I'll slap the coated G2 on my floor tom and see how it sounds.

User Info Menu

The G in G2 stands for Genera, I think it just depends on how old the heads are.

G2 coated and clear are great heads. I use them frequently on different kits. You should get a solid snare sound from that head. If you did want a little drier a sound, the Genera Dry is still a decent head, and not nearly as dry as the HD Dry.

Good luck.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I have the Evan's Genera HD on my snare and I love it cause too much overtone drives me nuts. I also have a G1 on my other snare which has alot more overtone and pop which is ok for hard rock but I am more into the classic rock which does not require alot off overtone etc. I was thinking of getting the EC2 with reverse dot but I am still contemplating that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I was thinking of getting the EC2 with reverse dot but I am still contemplating that.
    The reverse dot is awesome! In my opinion, it gives just the right amount of ring to the snare drum. I absolutely love the sound! It's so good, in fact, that I am perfectly happy with my Tama Imperialstar stock snare drum and have no itch to upgrade. And, if you wanted to dry out the sound for particular songs, you can just slap on an e-ring or some Moongel. I can't recommend this snare head enough.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Forget those. Get a Power Center Reverse Dot (also made by Evans). It can take an unbelievable amount of punishment and sounds amazing.
    We have a winner.